The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Homosexuality - biological, or a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScrewExams
when i say natural, i mean biolically. as i have said a number of times, there is a design behind our reproductive organs. its like having a ps4, and using the controller upside down... Thats not how your supposed to use it!

Ignoring the obvious fallacious idea of 'design' in biology: Using you're analogy, if someone played better with the controller upside down would you say that they should not be allowed to play that way?
imo whether or not it is a choice doesn't even come into it.
Reply 62
Original post by *Stefan*
You don't get it. Im referring to paedophilia as a feeling or an urge, where older people are attracted to much younger people.

What you are referring to is basically when paedophilia crosses the boundaries of rape: ie when someone decides to have sex with someone under a certain age, who cannot consent on the act.

This is the stark difference between homosexuality/heterosexuality and paedophilic acts. The former are the result of pure consent, whilst the latter is the exact opposite.

Don't forget: paedophilia as a word means "love for youth". What you're referring to is mostly paraphilia.

As for your last point, I actually think it's the exact opposite. If someone is abused when s/he's a child, s/he'll not want to inflict the same pain that s/he had to suffer on others. This is emotional though, and has nothing to do with one's sexuality.

I was, in fact, referring to exactly what you were talking about - a feeling or an urge, not the act. I wasn't talking about having non-consensual sex with a child, just the urge to. I was agreeing with everything you said, other than the purely biological factor argument (what did I say that made you think I was against you? :s-smilie:).

What I was merely suggesting was that children who are abused do sometimes go onto have sexual feelings towards children (even if they don't act on them - and I'm sure lots of them don't, because of not wanting to inflict the emotional pain onto others, as you stated), which perhaps indicates that it is not purely a biological stem. Sorry if I was unclear previously.
Reply 63
Before I start I want to clarify. I have no problem when gay people, don't hate anyone or discriminate against my fellow man. To each his own.

You're not born gay. No scientific evidence to suggest that people are.(Even though eurocentric researchers are spending billions to prove people are but they will never find anything).

The reason why the suicide rate is so high with homsexuals is that most of them were victims of sexual abuse as children. Denial is at the root of mental illness. Its easy to say "I was born like this so I don't have to deal with the pain that triggered it"

There is also a clear link between homesexuality and paedophilla with sexually confused indivuals that cause harm to children. The Roman Catholic church is the perfect example of this.

All in all I believe you're not born gay. I have nothing against gay people. Couldn't care less but when you tell people information when its not factually true I have to speak up.
It is a 100% something people are born with (though environmental circumstances may affect how profound it is in my opinion).

Proof? Homosexual people who commit suicide because their parents and society at whole hate them. If it was a choice, don't you think such people would just turn straight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if it's not a choice, that doesn't necessarily mean you're born with it.

Anyway I don't really see why we care so much whether people are born with it or not, other than for academic curiosity. The actual social issue of whether or not it's acceptable or how we ought to treat people involved in it has nothing do with being born with it or not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lalala917362
Ok, let me play devils advocate. We all know these are horrible crimes but if gay is biological.... Does that mean peadophilia and urge to commit rape is biological?

My guess is that they are, but that doesn't make them any more acceptable, or homosexuality any less acceptable.
Reply 66
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Ignoring the obvious fallacious idea of 'design' in biology: Using you're analogy, if someone played better with the controller upside down would you say that they should not be allowed to play that way?

Ahh, but i would point out to the person that the controller has grooves and a specific shape to allow you to hold it upside up; ad i would tell that person that they should use the controller the way the creator at sony intended them to use it
design is not a fallicious idea; it is a very real concept in biology. observe a horses physiological structure - it has been designed this way for running
whether you believe it from god or from evolution

this is from an evolutionary perspective
Reply 67
Original post by Dhanihk
I was, in fact, referring to exactly what you were talking about - a feeling or an urge, not the act. I wasn't talking about having non-consensual sex with a child, just the urge to. I was agreeing with everything you said, other than the purely biological factor argument (what did I say that made you think I was against you? :s-smilie:).

What I was merely suggesting was that children who are abused do sometimes go onto have sexual feelings towards children (even if they don't act on them - and I'm sure lots of them don't, because of not wanting to inflict the emotional pain onto others, as you stated), which perhaps indicates that it is not purely a biological stem. Sorry if I was unclear previously.

The fact that you referred to actual abuse made me assume it, but no matter.

I can't agree with you on that last part though, because neither have I ever met an abused child nor have I actually heard of someone abusing kids because he was abused (and I refer purely on how he was treated, genetic factors aside.)

Don't get me wrong: I have heard of many people who were abused in such ways becoming horrible persons, because obviously the emotional pain can be traumatic. However, I cannot associate abusing a child because one was abused when he was a child. Call me silly and whatnot, but I don't get the logic in this one.

Original post by tazarooni89
Even if it's not a choice, that doesn't necessarily mean you're born with it.

And what is it then that dictates their sexuality?
How would you explain a child that was born and raised in deeply religious, 100% anti-honosexual families and societies becoming homosexual? Obviously the environmental factors would push him to the edges to become straight, right?
(edited 9 years ago)
Ahh, but i would point out to the person that the controller has grooves and a specific shape to allow you to hold it upside up; ad i would tell that person that they should use the controller the way the creator at sony intended them to use it
design is not a fallicious idea; it is a very real concept in biology. observe a horses physiological structure - it has been designed this way for running
whether you believe it from god or from evolution

this is from an evolutionary perspective

1. You didn't answer my question. We have already said they are better at using it upside down and they prefer it that way. Why should they have to use it another way?

2. Design is fallacious in the theory of evolution. Design automatically assumes a designer. In evolution this is not the case. Evolution is a founded on the idea of randomness and coincidence. There cannot be an 'evolutionary design'.
I don't know whether to laugh or weep for humanity when I read forums like this, oh dear god :')
And what is it then that dictates their sexuality?
How would you explain a child that was born and raised in deeply religious, 100% anti-honosexual families and societies becoming homosexual? Obviously the environmental factors would push him to the edges to become straight, right?

Not necessarily. We go through millions of environmental experiences in our lives and are all affected by them in different ways. Any one little thing that happens to you can have a butterfly effect in shaping who you eventually turn out to be.

It isn't possible to take account of every single environmental factor that someone experiences and predict what the result of it will be several years later.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've always wanted to ask this question with a gay person, but always feel it would be very inappropriate or rude ahah. I understand the widely accepted view that it is biological, not a choice. But I ask why should it not be a choice???? When I meet a person or think of a friend, their sexual orientation means as much to me as their eye colour, i.e. nothing. I'm a straight guy, but not so sexually oblivious as to not be able to admit a guy is good looking, doesn't mean I have any interest in sleeping with him. Basically, I don't see how sexuality factors into what you think of a person, gay people are exactly the same as straight/bi/trans whatever, not some weird sub-group to be judged by someone else.

I have no idea why some people would find it 'an abomination', it frankly is none of your business who someone else sleeps with, and whatever makes you think you have the right to judge them would, in my eyes, make you a thoroughly unlikeable person.
Original post by cost
Before I start I want to clarify. I have no problem when gay people, don't hate anyone or discriminate against my fellow man. To each his own.

You're not born gay. No scientific evidence to suggest that people are.(Even though eurocentric researchers are spending billions to prove people are but they will never find anything).

The reason why the suicide rate is so high with homsexuals is that most of them were victims of sexual abuse as children. Denial is at the root of mental illness. Its easy to say "I was born like this so I don't have to deal with the pain that triggered it"

There is also a clear link between homesexuality and paedophilla with sexually confused indivuals that cause harm to children. The Roman Catholic church is the perfect example of this.

All in all I believe you're not born gay. I have nothing against gay people. Couldn't care less but when you tell people information when its not factually true I have to speak up.

"Most of them were victims of sexual abuse?" What are you even on about??
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by tazarooni89
Not necessarily. We go through millions of environmental experiences in our lives and are all affected by them in different ways. Any one little thing that happens to you can have a butterfly effect in shaping who you eventually turn out to be.

It isn't possible to take account of every single environmental factor that someone experiences and predict what the result of it will be.

By that logic, being straight is 100% the result of "environmental factors" as well?
acutally, it can be analysed objectively- think of it like this; imagine someone from a tribe in afirca (who doesnt wear footwer) comes to the uk and has ever seen footwear before. if he saw and picked up a shoe without ever seeing it before, what would he think? he would look at it and compare it to his feet and think "hmm this seems familiar, i think its designed for my feet"

Except shoes were designed by humans, humans were not.

If you want an argument from design, you will first need to establish that humans were indeed 'designed'. Some people may find a cucumber a good masturbator, but that doesn't mean it was 'designed' to be a masturbator.

similarly, scientist have analysed the male and female reproductive organs, and they are made for each, like 2 sets of one piece (pencil sharpner and pencil)

No, just no.

just because it exists in nature, that doesnt mean its evolutionary. we cannot generalise the finding is animal studies to human beings, as their evolutionary benefits are complete different to ours (lol even though i don't believe in evolution)

It does, otherwise it would not remain in existence. And I didn't generalise findings from animal studies to human beings, so perhaps you should take some more English classes before responding. It makes perfect evolutionary sense for homosexuality to remain in existence - only until recently have humans started to have fewer children, but it has always been the case that both parents might need to spend time outside of caring for their children for the survival of the family. Thus, communities with people who don't reproduce would have a better chance of passing on to their genes because more carers would be available to take care of the children. Whether this means homosexuality might disappear in the future in not known, and this is only one possible explanation for it.

Evolution is not something for you to 'believe in'. It is observable and forms the basis of all things biology. The fact that you don't 'believe in' it takes away all your credibility in talking about biology, and explains your foolish arguments trying to twist 'biology' into your favour, because you don't understand it at all.

I will spend no more time on you. Have fun 'disbelieving' evolution - makes sure you don't take medicine, they are developed on the basis of evolution.
Original post by Dark_Knight
I've always wanted to ask this question with a gay person, but always feel it would be very inappropriate or rude ahah. I understand the widely accepted view that it is biological, not a choice. But I ask why should it not be a choice????

Sorry, you are wrong, it is widely accepted that sexual fantasies are cultural. The bigger your imagination the easier it is to have fantasies about being the opposite sex and from there fantasies about the same sex. Its all in the power of the human mind.

Genes do come into it, eg we're all capable to a greater or lesser degree of being anything. However imagination is important as is the acceptability of sexual experimentation.
Reply 76
Original post by cost

And what you said is "factually true"?

Please provide us with the evidence, because "most homosexuals were abused" is both an argumentative fallacy and definitely not "factually true".
By that logic, being straight is 100% the result of "environmental factors"?

Possibly, but again not necessarily.

My point here is that, a human mind is such a complicated thing that you often can't just take one aspect of someone's personality and say "We're 100% sure that this is entirely caused by X".

Having said that, because of heterosexuality's in reproduction, and the influence of evolution, I'd say that it's quite likely that most people at least have a strong genetic predisposition towards becoming heterosexual. Perhaps environmental factors influence whether or not heterosexuality will manifest itself or not, but we know that in a majority of cases it will.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/largest-ever-study-into-the-gay-gene-erodes-the-notion-that-sexual-orientation-is-a-choice-9875855.html
http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/10443/20141118/homosexuality-genetic-strongest-evidence.htm

Genes play a large role in it. It's possible to repress depending on the culture you grow up in but it'll still be there. There needs to be a change in society where gay people aren't seen as 'abnormal' it's horrific to know that you can't be 'who you are' because of the way people will see/treat you.
Reply 79
The fact that you referred to actual abuse made me assume it, but no matter.

I can't agree with you on that last part though, because neither have I ever met an abused child nor have I actually heard of someone abusing kids because he was abused (and I refer purely on how he was treated, genetic factors aside.)

Don't get me wrong: I have heard of many people who were abused in such ways becoming horrible persons, because obviously the emotional pain can be traumatic. However, I cannot associate abusing a child because one was abused when he was a child. Call me silly and whatnot, but I don't get the logic in this one.

Fair enough, thank you for being courteous in your replies. It's not often you can debate on the internet without it resulting in petty name-calling! :^_^:

Latest

Trending

Trending