The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Homosexuality - biological, or a choice?

Poll

Is homosexuality biological or a choice?

I have nothing against Gay people themselves - live and let live. however I am a Muslim, and as one I cannot condone their actions as I deem them unnatural - essentially you are going against nature. but that's just my opinion. so where does homosexuality come from (talking non religiously) is it something people are born with, or are people brought up that way, or is it ultimately just a choice, and anyone can be gay?
All thoughts welcome
Edit - added poll
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why are there so many gay threads these days :hmmm:

Anyway, Yes, I think it is a choice too

The male reproductive organ was made to fill the females reproductive organ :yes:

It is like a lock and key.. Like enzyme and substrate. and not induced fit hypothesis :sigh:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
It is a 100% something people are born with (though environmental circumstances may affect how profound it is in my opinion).

Proof? Homosexual people who commit suicide because their parents and society at whole hate them. If it was a choice, don't you think such people would just turn straight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The idea that it is either biological or a choice is a false dichotomy. But evidence points towards it being heavily influenced by biology and environmental factors. So far no credible research has found evidence of it being a choice.
Why would anyone choose to be gay and subject themselves to stigma...?

The going against nature statement is really paradoxical. Almost everything you do in a given day is going against nature.
Reply 5
Original post by *Stefan*
It is a 100% something people are born with (though environmental circumstances may affect how profound it is in my opinion).

Proof? Homosexual people who commit suicide because their parents and society at whole hate then. If it was a choice, don't you think such people would just turn straight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not gay myself but I have to agree with this 100%, im sure if it was a choice they wouldn't want to be gay... and recieve a vast amount of hate from society.
Original post by Straight Quant.
Why are there so many gay threads these days :hmmm:

Anyway, Yes, I think it is a choice too

The male reproductive organ was made to fill the females reproductive organ :yes:

It is like a lock and key.. Like enzyme and substrate. and not induced fit hypothesis
Posted from TSR Mobile

So what about people that masturbate, or use other females orifices to pleasure themselves?
I think you'd be hard pressed in today's society to say that people use their reproductive organs for reproduction, even if that was what they were originally 'naturally' intended for.

And also, what about homosexuality in animals? Animals which have brains incapable of what we might ontologically describe as conscious choice...
Reply 7
Environmental factors are the key deciding factor as to whether one will be gay or not; genetic factors decide how receptive people are to stimuli which encourage the development of homosexual tendencies.
Reply 8
Original post by ScrewExams
I have nothing against Gay people themselves - live and let live. however I am a Muslim, and as one I cannot condone their actions as I deem them unnatural - essentially you are going against nature. but that's just my opinion. so where does homosexuality come from (talking non religiously) is it something people are born with, or are people brought up that way, or is it ultimately just a choice, and anyone can be gay?
All thoughts welcome

Believing in things without evidence is unnatural, it must be a choice you believe in something that no one can see, touch, hear or smell.
Original post by *Stefan*

Proof? Homosexual people who commit suicide because their parents and society at whole hate them. If it was a choice, don't you think such people would just turn straight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, let me play devils advocate. We all know these are horrible crimes but if gay is biological.... Does that mean peadophilia and urge to commit rape is biological?
Reply 10
Original post by Maker
Believing in things without evidence is unnatural, it must be a choice you believe in something that no one can see, touch, hear or smell.

I totally believe in thing we can see, touch ect. look around you... what do u see? trees oceans, clouds, animals ect. they must have come from somwhere...
Reply 11
Original post by ScrewExams
I totally believe in thing we can see, touch ect. look around you... what do u see? trees oceans, clouds, animals ect. they must have come from somwhere...

Are you a pagan?
Reply 12
I'd say 100% biological. There's evidence of homosexuality in loads of other species, so why not humans too?
I think its a result of complex uncontrollable influences mainly during upbringing. I dont think people are born with a specific sexuality and if people have a preference for a certain gender i think its pretty much impossible to change it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So basically i think its neither biology or choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by h3isenberg
Why would anyone choose to be gay and subject themselves to stigma...?

The going against nature statement is really paradoxical. Almost everything you do in a given day is going against nature.

yes of course we go against nature everyday, but what i mean is; if everyone were gay then the human race would be extinct. i deem it unnatural as biologically speaking, a phallus is not made for an anus. yeah you can tell me that repoduction is not the sole reason for having sex, but then i can say that having sex is only because of reproduction (the reason we get sexually aroused is because of a psychological need for wanting to pregnate the other sex-reproduction) from a non religious perspective, organisms have to objectives; survival, and reporduction - these are present in every organism. this is why i mentioned biology - people get sexually aroused by different things - i myself am staight and get aorused by female, but gay people may get sexually aroused by other men?
Reply 16
I deem talking to imaginary friends unnatural.
But that's religion for you!
Reply 17
Original post by Maker
Are you a pagan?

Muslim - i believe that these materiel things must have bee created by a deity. imagine you are walking in a forest, and you find a chair. what would you think? -that somebody must have created the chair
Biological, however I believe the environment affects the expression of this biological trait.
Reply 19
Original post by JC.
I deem talking to imaginary friends unnatural.
But that's religion for you!

well i think it has more merit than believing the earth came from a singularity the size of an atom.

Latest

Trending

Trending