The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

warwick accommodation

Should I choose a shared or en suite accommodation at Warwick University? I mean Is it uncomfortable to live in a shared bathroom accommodation. Also please tell which is the best shared accommodation in Warwick and the most social one.
Reply 1
Original post by Oshikansal
Should I choose a shared or en suite accommodation at Warwick University? I mean Is it uncomfortable to live in a shared bathroom accommodation. Also please tell which is the best shared accommodation in Warwick and the most social one.

Hi there,

Choosing an en-suite or shared bathroom style accommodation depends on a number of factors. Some people need an en-suite for medical conditions, so obviously, if you have a medical condition that means you might need access to your own more private bathroom, pick an en-suite.

However, if you're just wondering about the pros and cons, I lived in two different accommodations which both had shared bathrooms. Unfortunately there's a strange feeling surrounding shared bathrooms that people seem to dread, but they are never ever as bad as you think, you just get on with it.

Of course, the biggest factor for most people is the price difference: accommodations with en-suites are much more expensive, and when it comes to the price per week, you need to weigh up whether that bathroom is really worth the extra money or whether you'd want more money and just put up with the bathroom as shared (depending on what kind of money you are going to have and what funding you receive).

There is a general stereotype that accommodations with en-suites are less sociable and this is because of two reasons: 1. There's a stereotype that because the en-suites are more expensive, those accommodations contain only rich or 'stuck up' posh people, and 2. The en-suites allow people to stay in their rooms totally if they want to because they pretty much have everything they need there.

However, these are just stereotypes. You will always have a shared kitchen, and I found I had some very quiet flatmates in Rootes (the apparently most sociable accommodation) and some very sociable flatmates in Westwood (an accommodation seen as less sociable). In addition, my best friend stayed in Sherbourne and had a real mix of international students, quiet people and proper party animals despite the en-suites and the cost so you cannot predict it. When you apply for accommodation, you will have to fill in a tiny box about yourself and that is pretty much all they base the flats on, so it really is luck of the draw.

It's not, in my opinion, at all uncomfortable to live in a shared bathroom environment and in my financial situation, it was way worth it to save those extra pounds. The bathrooms were sometimes a bit messy, sometimes I was like 'ew' but there were 4 bathrooms so I just went to a different one, and cleaners came in and sorted the mess really regularly so it wasn't that much hassle for me at all, in both Rootes and Westwood.

Hope this helps somewhat! :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending