The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go from a narrow and focussed BEng to a more general MSc?

Hello everyone :smile:

Usually, people start from a general BEng (like Materials Science and Engineering) and either continue for a MEng or do an MSc in a certain subset of their undergraduate degree (like Nanotechnology). However is it possible to do the opposite? For instance, if I have a BEng in Materials Science and Engineering with focus on Biomaterials, would it be possible to do an MSc in plain Materials Science and Engineering?
They're within the same field so you should be fine. Obviously your MSc project will have to be in something narrow and specific. My MEng was in aeronautics while my MSc was in ocean and offshore technology.
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
They're within the same field so you should be fine. Obviously your MSc project will have to be in something narrow and specific. My MEng was in aeronautics while my MSc was in ocean and offshore technology.

What about from this course https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=JH5P2016 to something like this http://www.ucl.ac.uk/chemistry/postgraduate/msc/tmschesmee1 ?
Does it seem feasible?

Your degrees seem very interesting! Initially I was planning to use a degree in Materials Science to have a career in aerospace...
I can't see there being any issues with that at all. The degrees don't have to align exactly. What stage are you at now? If it's not too late I would suggest doing the MEng over a BEng as it includes an extra funded year which will assist with eventual CEng registration.

My degrees are actually quite similar - they both deal with structures, stress analysis, fluid mechanics, survivability systems, materials and failure mechanisms. I mentioned the MSc project being very focused - mine looked at corrosion on a sunken submarine which I got to go and dive on.

What are you looking at doing after uni?
Reply 4
I can't see there being any issues with that at all. The degrees don't have to align exactly. What stage are you at now? If it's not too late I would suggest doing the MEng over a BEng as it includes an extra funded year which will assist with eventual CEng registration.

My degrees are actually quite similar - they both deal with structures, stress analysis, fluid mechanics, survivability systems, materials and failure mechanisms. I mentioned the MSc project being very focused - mine looked at corrosion on a sunken submarine which I got to go and dive on.

What are you looking at doing after uni?

I am still a BEng offer holder. I just assumed that a MEng was not required and was just a "waste" of money if I was going to do an MSc.

Do I need chartership if I plan on working abroad? Anyway, in regards to my plans for the future I am still torn between pharmaceutical (one of the reasons why I applied for Biomaterials), for which I could get an MSc in Biomedical Engineering, energy, or even banking/consulting or diplomacy. For banking and consulting any engineering MSc from a top school should be enough, and for a career in diplomacy i might need to go to law school, right?
MEng is an undergraduate degree, and therefore eligible for funding. An MSc isn't, although this may have changed by the time it's relevant to you. As far as I'm aware, most (if not all) engineering degrees have at least the first year in common so you don't have to decide between BEng/MEng right away.

CEng is very useful to have. Some countries/states require professional registration to work there, chartership can be a way of proving equivalent status without having to study in that country. You'll have to check with each country you're looking at.

For banking I would think a quantitative-heavy course like economics or finance would be more useful, and the Diplomatic Service (I assume you're British) just needs a 2:2 in any subject.
Reply 6
MEng is an undergraduate degree, and therefore eligible for funding. An MSc isn't, although this may have changed by the time it's relevant to you. As far as I'm aware, most (if not all) engineering degrees have at least the first year in common so you don't have to decide between BEng/MEng right away.

CEng is very useful to have. Some countries/states require professional registration to work there, chartership can be a way of proving equivalent status without having to study in that country. You'll have to check with each country you're looking at.

For banking I would think a quantitative-heavy course like economics or finance would be more useful, and the Diplomatic Service (I assume you're British) just needs a 2:2 in any subject.

While the MEng is funded, the money needs to be paid back eventually. Also, while MSc is not funded in the UK, the states apparently have great funding for postgrad.

Is it possible to get an MSc in Economics or Finance with a Materials Science undergrad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending