The Student Room Group

So Unhappy.. help/advice needed!

I've posted not too long ago about my 'friends group' leaving me feeling isolated and alone. Things have not gone any better - in fact, they've gotten worse.

Found out that several of the girls in the group are not true friends (strategically planning to upset me, leaving me out, trying to ruin my relationship, etc) and I am so confused about what to do next.

I've signed on to live with them next year in self-catered. I'm trying to pull out of the contract though and plan to live somewhere else (in self-catered with random people.. although it's so late now so I would be lucky to get into a flat at all.. have heard bad things about late applying), however I'm not too keen on this either because I have met nobody at my university who seems like a true friend, so it's hard to be enthusiastic.

This situation really makes me want to change universities and although it seems like I'm running away from things, it's been a terribly long time, I'm not just in a few petty arguments, I know that these people aren't my friends. And from experience trying to make new ones hasn't gone well either. My course is nice but I am not enjoying it as much as I planned, so it's not like I can just fully immerse myself in it.

Sorry for the mouthful. Any advice would be appreciated! Ta!
Reply 1
Hi I cant help, but im in a worse situations I have never made any friends thus far.
If you dont like these people throw them away and find new people?
UNI should be about your course not your friends..... to be honest
Screw them then! No one has the right to upset you...this is uni not high school! I would defo move out and live anywhere else as long I am far away from these a******s because at the end of the day uni is firstly about studying not making friends. Focus on your studies and maybe it will get better and if you stick it out and work hard you will probably go further in life than any of these people who are sad enough to belittle you!
Reply 3
Thanks so much guys :smile:
Hello,

I would just like to say I was in almost the EXACT same position last year when living with my so called 'housemates'.

Don't give up, all is not lost and it will get better. But I can seriously understand how **** and trapped you must feel. Last year I also made the stupid mistake of signing on for another year when they said they would 'help me and support me, won't leave me out anymore...blablabla' (utter bull****, it got worse).

Your next step now is to try everything in your power to get out the contract. Unfortunately landlords are greedy and couldn't give a **** about your personal problems as long as you are lining their pockets. And there is nothing you can do about it as you signed the contract....I found that out the hard way.

To get out your contract: - Firstly, go to your student support section and book an appointment with an advisor and tell them everything. They may even refer you to a solicitor as sometimes the uni may have a partnership with a local solicitor so you can have some free advice from a professional. I did this but in the end I didn't end up having to go down this route.

What is your relationship with your landlord like?
Mine was a complete knob-head and bullied me so I recorded all the emails and kept them for the solicitor...which really gave me the upper hand.
The whole legal path is a difficult one and I am glad I didn't end up going down that path. Best to keep this option as a last resort, but it is always best to be prepared.

Secondly, you can try find someone to take over your contract. I did this. It's not a guarantee but it is the better option, less stress too.

Advertise your room EVERYWHERE. Especially Facebook page/groups associated with your uni. Also post out flyers and ask your landlord to advertise it on their website too.
They have to anyway (my uni advisor made sure they did by spamming them with calls).

Uni should be fun, and the so called friends I lived with ruined my entire 2nd year. Not only that but I was going through personal turmoil,in and out of hospital, none of which they cared about or supported me.
They ignored me, left me out, incredibly disruptive when I worked. And did stupid little school girl pranks.
Also tried to ruin my relationship and accused my boyfriend of being abusive and controlling, and told everyone in our social circle lies about me.

This all ended up with me spiraling into a deep depression - of which I will not go into details about because I am ashamed of what I did.
I never felt so alone in my life, my grades suffered, my health suffered and so did my social life.
It got to the point I couldn't leave my room and I gained 4 stone.

Please do not let them do this to you. I don't know if it has already been suggested but please see a Councillor and a doctor if you feel like you need extra help. (Like anti-depressants).

Try joining a club or gain a new hobby, you will meet new people there, and slowly you will finally feel the old you come back, bit by bit.

I did this and over a year on I am much better, with my own place, getting fantastic grades and I have even secured a job for when I graduate. Move on up on the world, you are better than these people.
And they can go **** themselves...make sure to tell them that when you leave

And finally -
You are not alone.

Sorry about the long reply!
Reply 5
Original post by HannaLouise
Hello,

I would just like to say I was in almost the EXACT same position last year when living with my so called 'housemates'.

Don't give up, all is not lost and it will get better. But I can seriously understand how **** and trapped you must feel. Last year I also made the stupid mistake of signing on for another year when they said they would 'help me and support me, won't leave me out anymore...blablabla' (utter bull****, it got worse).

Your next step now is to try everything in your power to get out the contract. Unfortunately landlords are greedy and couldn't give a **** about your personal problems as long as you are lining their pockets. And there is nothing you can do about it as you signed the contract....I found that out the hard way.

To get out your contract: - Firstly, go to your student support section and book an appointment with an advisor and tell them everything. They may even refer you to a solicitor as sometimes the uni may have a partnership with a local solicitor so you can have some free advice from a professional. I did this but in the end I didn't end up having to go down this route.

What is your relationship with your landlord like?
Mine was a complete knob-head and bullied me so I recorded all the emails and kept them for the solicitor...which really gave me the upper hand.
The whole legal path is a difficult one and I am glad I didn't end up going down that path. Best to keep this option as a last resort, but it is always best to be prepared.

Secondly, you can try find someone to take over your contract. I did this. It's not a guarantee but it is the better option, less stress too.

Advertise your room EVERYWHERE. Especially Facebook page/groups associated with your uni. Also post out flyers and ask your landlord to advertise it on their website too.
They have to anyway (my uni advisor made sure they did by spamming them with calls).

Uni should be fun, and the so called friends I lived with ruined my entire 2nd year. Not only that but I was going through personal turmoil,in and out of hospital, none of which they cared about or supported me.
They ignored me, left me out, incredibly disruptive when I worked. And did stupid little school girl pranks.
Also tried to ruin my relationship and accused my boyfriend of being abusive and controlling, and told everyone in our social circle lies about me.

This all ended up with me spiraling into a deep depression - of which I will not go into details about because I am ashamed of what I did.
I never felt so alone in my life, my grades suffered, my health suffered and so did my social life.
It got to the point I couldn't leave my room and I gained 4 stone.

Please do not let them do this to you. I don't know if it has already been suggested but please see a Councillor and a doctor if you feel like you need extra help. (Like anti-depressants).

Try joining a club or gain a new hobby, you will meet new people there, and slowly you will finally feel the old you come back, bit by bit.

I did this and over a year on I am much better, with my own place, getting fantastic grades and I have even secured a job for when I graduate. Move on up on the world, you are better than these people.
And they can go **** themselves...make sure to tell them that when you leave

And finally -
You are not alone.

Sorry about the long reply!

--

This was incredibly helpful. I can't express how confident I feel about things now. I'm so sorry you had to go through it as well but at least you got out of it and you're doing so well for yourself. I truly did feel like I was the only person going through this so it was incredibly nice of you to open up. Hopefully this can help others too.

Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by hker96
--

This was incredibly helpful. I can't express how confident I feel about things now. I'm so sorry you had to go through it as well but at least you got out of it and you're doing so well for yourself. I truly did feel like I was the only person going through this so it was incredibly nice of you to open up. Hopefully this can help others too.

Thank you so much! :smile:

Glad I could help! I remember looking online when I was going through it and couldn't find anything helpful for me. Understandably people don't want to open up so its important to voice your experiences if you can.

It still affects me now to a degree, but I know eventually I am going to be on top of the world, and so will you.

I really do wish you the best of luck in getting out of it.
As for your worries about sharing a house with random people...
Have you spoke to your uni about halls?
I don't know about your uni but mine has different types of halls. So for example, in my first year I stayed in the typical party halls where it's a non stop party. (I couldn't do that now-no way!).
But my uni also provides quieter halls specifically for older students and/or third years who just want a place to study and sleep.

Yours might do something similar? That way, even though you will still be with random people, if any problems do arise, you can tell the uni and they will move you or move the problem. Something which you couldn't do in a privately rented house share.

Happy to hear you feel more confident about it! It is the first step!

Quick Reply

Latest