The Student Room Group

Would you take a bullet for a friend?

Poll

Would you take a bullet for a friend?

As in the Title - if your friend was going to be shot, would you jump in front in order to save him?

EDIT: For those who say you wouldn't have time/tell your friend to get out of the way, here's the scenario.

Your friend is tied to a chair which is bolted to the floor, and cannot move - the man with the gun tells you, he will fire in 3 seconds. This gives you enough time to stand in between, but not enough time to get your friend away. If you do stand in between - the bullet will stop in you, and so you are saving your friend.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Nah.
Reply 2
Just make another friend
Absolutely not- they're disposable
No.

Unless they were a much better person than me. That would be rare though :biggrin:
No! If I have time to jump in front of the bullet they have time to jump out of the way.
Reply 6
It's not actually possible due to the speed of the bullet and human reaction time....
Original post by TorpidPhil
No.

Unless they were a much better person than me. That would be rare though :biggrin:

Haha, was just in a discussion and according to one TSRian, every person is fully equal... :tongue:

Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
No! If I have time to jump in front of the bullet they have time to jump out of the way.

Hahaha, could've guessed it'd be you to get around it :tongue: What if they were turned around, so couldn't see, but you could - but shouting to them and them moving would take too long...? Probably still no?
No, I don't like my friends.
Original post by mobbsy91
As in the Title - if your friend was going to be shot, would you jump in front in order to save him?

Ask same question but family instead of friends...I think responses would be a lot more varied. Personally, I wouldn't for a friend. Maybe family but wouldn't know till it actually happens lol.
Original post by Aph
It's not actually possible due to the speed of the bullet and human reaction time....

Trust you to turn this metaphorical thread into a factual one :tongue:

What if your friend was tied to a chair, and they said, I'm going to shoot in 3 seconds, you would then have time to get in front and save your friend...
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP

This.

Plus you wouldn't be quick enough to react
Original post by Lalala917362
Ask same question but family instead of friends...I think responses would be a lot more varied. Personally, I wouldn't for a friend. Maybe family but wouldn't know till it actually happens lol.

I decided to do friends, because I think the majority would for their family - and I was genuinely interested to see whether people would for friends, so from that point of view, I'm surprised that so far, so many would do it for some of their friends...
Original post by Vixen47
No, I don't like my friends.

Then why are they your friends... :tongue:
Reply 13
Trust you to turn this metaphorical thread into a factual one :tongue:

What if your friend was tied to a chair, and they said, I'm going to shoot in 3 seconds, you would then have time to get in front and save your friend...

What's the bullet like? And the gun? If it would go straight though me and kill them anyway then...
Haha, was just in a discussion and according to one TSRian, every person is fully equal... :tongue:

Definitely not. That's optimistic bull**** usually spouted by useless people. Hey, sounds harsh but it's true.

If I had to choose between killing two people or they both die in which one was a world-class surgeon, or some leading researcher vs someone who is unemployed and illiterate the choice would be an absolute no-brainer. We are not equal. We are only valuable insofar as we create good outcomes from our actions. If your actions don't do much you have little significance to the world and your life should, not will, but morally should, be devalued over someone who has more.

This is a basic tenet of utilitarianism if you didn't know. It gets more complex obviously.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aph
What's the bullet like? And the gun? If it would go straight though me and kill them anyway then...

Haha, let's say that it wouldn't go through you, so they wouldn't die - you'd be saving their life...

Then why are they your friends... :tongue:

Because loneliness ****ing sucks?

No but I would be happy to be to volunteer to be the one to fire the bullet at a friend.
Because loneliness ****ing sucks?

Fair enough :sadnod:

Definitely not. That's optimistic bull**** usually spouted by useless people. Hey, sounds harsh but it's true.

If I had to choose between killing two people or they both die in which one was a world-class surgeon, or some leading researcher vs someone who is unemployed and illiterate the choice would be an absolute no-brainer. We are not equal. We are only valuable insofar as we create good outcomes from our actions. If your actions don't do much you have little significance to the word and your live should, not will, but morally should, be devalued over someone who has more.

This is a basic tenet of utilitarianism if you didn't know. It gets more complex obviously.

Haha, very true - I refer Aph
Aph
QFA
to this :biggrin:
mobbsy91
Hahaha, could've guessed it'd be you to get around it :tongue: What if they were turned around, so couldn't see, but you could - but shouting to them and them moving would take too long...? Probably still no?

In a case like that I would push them out of the way even if it meant them falling and breaking a bone. It is better for us both to be alive with one person having a broken bone that it is to have a person shot. The only time I would take a bullet for someone is in a hostage situation where the hostage takers are threatening to kills someone. I would nominate myself over having a person I love dying, but even then that is party because I believe you will all be dead anyway so you may as well try and be hero.

For all those saying it is not possible I refer you to an episode of Mythbusters where you could successfully move from a sniper shooting you when you see a flash provided it is located 300 meters away. There could also be a situation whereby you see someone raising their hand holding the gun buying you an extra few seconds to respond.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest