The Student Room Group

On ne peut nier le fait que ...subjunctive or indicative?!

My AS level Oral exam is imminent and I am desperate to know whether the phrase 'On ne peut nier le fait que' takes the indicative or the subjunctive.

Given the meaning of the phrase I am inclined to think indicative (no element of doubt) but both my French teachers (one being a native speaker) are undecided and say that it is a source of debate.

What would any of you suggest I use in my exam? Or could I use either and it would be acceptable?
Thanks!
I had a look online and it said that nier take the subjunctive, so if think that this would too. Hope this helps!!
Reply 2
Original post by leicesterlke
I had a look online and it said that nier take the subjunctive, so if think that this would too. Hope this helps!!

That's great, thank you!:smile:
Please don't speak other languages this is an English forum
Reply 4
Original post by potatomaker
Please don't speak other languages this is an English forum

Your ignorance is adorable, bless.
Tu peux utiliser l'un ou l'autre.

I would use it like you would any other 'on ne peut pas ... que' phrase. Context is key though!

A2 French student here :smile: if you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll help as much as I can!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by flossicles
Tu peux utiliser l'un ou l'autre.

I would use it like you would any other 'on ne peut pas ... que' phrase. Context is key though!

A2 French student here :smile: if you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll help as much as I can!

Thank you so much! I think I will use subjunctive in that case then:smile:
Original post by Saffron_G
Thank you so much! I think I will use subjunctive in that case then:smile:

De rien :smile: et bonne chance! When is your exam?

Quick Reply

Latest