The Student Room Group

Reading Vs Newcastle Vs Loughbrough

I cant decide whether to firm reading, newcastle or Loughbrough for psychology. Opinions??
Newcastle doesn't have a balanced psychology department. There are a few people in the psychology department, but its very small, and mostly people from the neuroscience institute teach the course. Consequentially, if you look at the course structure, its highly weighted towards biological modules. This is good if your into that area of study --- however, if you wanted to do a third year dissertation in social psychology or developmental, it wouldn't be ideal.
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson
Newcastle doesn't have a balanced psychology department. There are a few people in the psychology department, but its very small, and mostly people from the neuroscience institute teach the course. Consequentially, if you look at the course structure, its highly weighted towards biological modules. This is good if your into that area of study --- however, if you wanted to do a third year dissertation in social psychology or developmental, it wouldn't be ideal.

Thanks! I am more interested in the social and developement side so maybe not newcastle. Do you know much about Reading, Loughbrough or UEA's way of teaching?
Original post by psychgurl
Thanks! I am more interested in the social and developement side so maybe not newcastle. Do you know much about Reading, Loughbrough or UEA's way of teaching?

Well its not that they don't have people who study those things - they just don't have people who are hugely renowned in those areas and it looks like the module structures aren't heavily weighted towards them. I literally don't know anything about the rest, sorry!

If you look at the module structure and "research area" parts of the psychology websites it will tell you more about that. The biggest difference between unis will be in the third year of university - this is when all the basics have been covered for BPS acreditation and they base modules on the expertise of the people they have to lead those courses. Loughbrough is big on sport generally so would be good for sport psychology. Not all unis offer clinical psychology modules either, if that's what your into!

Quick Reply

Latest