The Student Room Group

What's with all the hate against immigrants?

I am sick and tired of the hate spewed at immigrants by some British people. I find it so pathetic how immigrants are being generalised as an awful bunch of people. Yes I can acknowledge that there are some who come over to this country illegally, do piss all and get benefits, but why are some people failing to remember the immigrants who came over to this country many years ago and helped build it up to what it is today? Why are some people failing to remember the ones who came over here to create a better life for themselves and their family and have 'played by the rules' correctly?

I hate all of this "go back to your own country" nonsense, when there are tons of Brits out there in other countries who are possibly doing the same things as the 'bad' immigrants are doing over here? Some people are acting as if every single issue we have in this country is down to immigration. If some British people really have an issue with immigration and want to stop people moving to this country then I think it would be fair if other countries stopped Brits from moving to theirs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Novascope
I am sick and tired of the hate spewed at immigrants by some British people. I find it so pathetic how immigrants are being generalised as an awful bunch of people. Yes I can acknowledge that there are some who come over to this country illegally, do piss all and get benefits, but why are some people failing to remember the immigrants who came over to this country many years ago and helped build it up to what it is today? Why are some people failing to remember the ones who came over here to create a better life for themselves and their family and have 'played by the rules' correctly?

I hate all of this "go back to your own country" nonsense, when there are tons of Brits out there in other countries who are possibly doing the same things as the 'bad' immigrants are doing over here? Some people are acting as if every single issue we have in this country is down to immigration. If some British people really have an issue with immigration and want to stop people moving to this country then I think it would be fair if other countries stopped Brits from moving to theirs.

Because of the media.
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't say it's hating immigrants, but more so immigration. Do you not think 300,000 (net) people a year is too much?
hey most people don't hat immigrants but hate immigration there is a difference. If you live in a country you don't want it's culture and kind of identity being eroded.
Reply 4
Original post by AstroNandos
I wouldn't say it's hating immigrants, but more so immigration. Do you not think 300,000 (net) people a year is too much?

No I'm talking about the people who hate immigrants. Yes it's a lot, but my thread is focusing on the behaviour towards immigrants as if they're scum.
Reply 5
Original post by Guy Secretan
hey most people don't hat immigrants but hate immigration there is a difference. If you live in a country you don't want it's culture and kind of identity being eroded.

Hence why I said some...

I'm not talking about people not wanting to adapt to British culture :confused:
People need scapegoats, that's about it.
Hence why I said some...

I'm not talking about people not wanting to adapt to British culture :confused:

by it's very nature immigration harms british culture as you cannot legislate against people not adopting our culture even though they have tried in France. A lot of third generation Pakistani immigrants will still only marry other Pakistanis and pretty much create their own societies in for example areas of Birmingham and Southall.
Reply 8
Original post by Guy Secretan
by it's very nature immigration harms british culture as you cannot legislate against people not adopting our culture even though they have tried in France. A lot of third generation Pakistani immigrants will still only marry other Pakistanis and pretty much create their own societies in for example areas of Birmingham and Southall.

What on earth are you talking about. Not every immigrant that comes here doesn't want to adapt to British culture, that's rubbish. My grandparents and father are immigrants and they've adapted very well to British culture and have done very well in this country.
What on earth are you talking about. Not every immigrant that comes here doesn't want to adapt to British culture, that's rubbish. My grandparents and father are immigrants and they've adapted very well to British culture and have done very well in this country.

Yeah you are kind of missing my point I didn't say that all immigrants don't want to adopt british culture many do but you cannot create an immigration policy on those that do and those that don't. Also many people are simply averse to the pace of change a but of immigration is fine but the sheer numbers especially in areas such as London is too high.
Immigrants, and anyone of colour really, are easy scapegoats. Oh, you and you're 5 GCSE's don't have a job? "Bloody immigrants, taking my job, taking my opportunity from me, I'd have that if they weren't here". It doesn't help that right wing papers are rampant here, always promoting sensationalist scare tactics, making anyone of colour out to be some bogeyman we should be afraid of.

Well, he's saying by definition introducing foreigners from a different culture to your own culture will weaken it. What that doesn't mean though is that the type of reaction you were talking about in your OP to every single immigrant is justified.
No I'm talking about the people who hate immigrants. Yes it's a lot, but my thread is focusing on the behaviour towards immigrants as if they're scum.

But their hatred might come from the scale of immigration into the country. I'm not justifying what they think btw
Reply 13
Original post by AstroNandos
But their hatred might come from the scale of immigration into the country. I'm not justifying what they think btw

I understand what you mean, but like for example there are people out there who dislike immigrants for taking up housing, jobs etc. When there are many British people here that are on benefits and don't work, yet want to complain when a decent immigrants comes and "takes their job" :rolleyes:
I am against immigration now as although there are numerous benefits I feel as if it has gone too far to the point where areas of cities have become ethnic ghettos and those who have no skills or create crime are allowed in. I think immigrants are sometimes unfairly blamed though as there are still quite a few English families who quite happily sponge off benefits and don't work and there are the hard working immigrants who have their own shops/businisses etc such as Polish and contribute. The other thing I find is that some don't want to agree with the culture here and enforce their own beliefs upon others and bring their own cultural problems as with the cases of female genital mutilation. Finally, we are only a small island and can't deal with the rest of the world's problems.
I understand what you mean, but like for example there are people out there who dislike immigrants for taking up housing, jobs etc. When there are many British people here that are on benefits and don't work, yet want to complain when a decent immigrants comes and "takes their job" :rolleyes:

There are also people who genuinely can't find work and that s because an immigrant wil work for less money and essentially puts them out of work.
They took our jobs
Reply 17
You can't just go around to other people's countries, out breeding the populace and destroying their livelihoods.

Ohwait ... trollface.jpeg.

Aboriginals send their regards.

The prejudice against immigrants has been greater between 2009-2014 than it is now. I think what we are seeing now is this UKIP-led rhetoric declining and the immigrant question will be consolidated after this general election.
People take their anger out on immigrants because they've seen the direct impact of immigration on their societies and local areas.

When hundreds of thousands of people move into a certain area, you get to see fast and drastic change to your local community, and thats not always good. When all of the shops in your local area have been taken over and marketed at a different type of people it makes you angry, and this is why a common argument used is "It doesnt even feel like the UK anymore" or "Its like living in (insert other country)"

Whats worse, is that your genuine concerns cannot be discussed with your local politicians, and your views aren't represented in parliament, because any hint of the idea that you dont think multiculturalism is the best thing to have ever existed you are instantly slandered a racist.

And eventually, it gets to the point where your anger turns to the people who you think caused the problems in the first place. Don't try and argue that our services aren't stretched because of immigration because they are. Hospitals and schools cannot keep up with the vast amounts of people who have come here in an extremely short amount of time.

You can't expect 100% of the original population to be perfectly happy when thousands upon thousands of people have moved into the UK in the space of 10 years.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending