The Student Room Group

Master's degree finishes this September and I'll return to unemployment, poverty

Before I started this master's degree I was unemployed, hopeless and jobless. I struggled to find basic employment and was relentlessly humiliated at job interviews. I did had some intermittent jobs most of them didn’t go anywhere and were stopgaps on my CV. I attributed all these failings to my non-accredited undergraduate degree and, hence, I am now doing a master’s degree that is in the top ten in the UK league tables. This was largely thanks to winning a scholarship because I was from a deprived background.
I don’t want to return to this life where I am abused by my parents and my community, but it looks like I have no choice.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kasa
Before I started this master's degree I was unemployed, hopeless and jobless. I struggled to find basic employment was relentless humiliated at job interviews. I had intermittent jobs most of them didn’t go anywhere. I attributed all these failings to my non-accredited undergraduate degree and am doing a master’s degree that is in the top ten in UK thanks to winning a scholarship because I was from a deprived background.
I don’t want to return to this life where I am abused by my parents and my community, but it looks like I have no choice.

What makes you think you won't get a job after dong a Masters from a top 10 University?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Raymat
What makes you think you won't get a job after dong a Masters from a top 10 University?

A feeling of dread stemming from the overwhelming rejection I have encountered before..
Oh come on, stop whinging and get some self-confidence - you've got at least 4 months to sort out a job and you're at a good uni. Have you been applying for jobs? Have you spoken to your uni's careers service? You should be able to figure this out yourself. You'll have to be more proactive if you want to get where you want in life.
Original post by Kasa
A feeling of dread stemming from the overwhelming rejection I have encountered before..

If you can't get a job after all that hard work then it just goes to show that university isn't worth risking for some people as it could be a complete waste of time for them. The truth is having a degree from a good university just makes one line on your CV. Employers want to recruit people who have experience, confidence and can work well in a working environment (I'm referring to working well in a team and interacting well with people which can also include customers). You should hopefully get a job. If it's not a graduate job then at least you should be able to get into a non-graduate job. If you end up doing a crap job then put aside the regrets, there wasn't much you could have done, after all, you tried your best and the world isn't really a fair place.
(edited 9 years ago)
What is this Top 10 university? Lancaster?
Reply 6
Original post by Duncan2012
Oh come on, stop whinging and get some self-confidence - you've got at least 4 months to sort out a job and you're at a good uni. Have you been applying for jobs? Have you spoken to your uni's careers service? You should be able to figure this out yourself. You'll have to be more proactive if you want to get where you want in life.

I have done both. I had two rejections so far. The first was for a rubbish role that never got back to me; The second for a job where I was "pipped to the post."
What university may i ask? IF your top 10 you will defo find something.
Reply 8
Original post by Little Toy Gun
What is this Top 10 university? Lancaster?

Original post by ThatGuyRik
What university may i ask? IF your top 10 you will defo find something.

The university itself is not in the top then, but my school is
Original post by Kasa
The university itself is not in the top then, but my school is

That's a bit dodgy. There are so many disciplines and league tables out there, surely most universities could've been Top 10 on one of them.
I find the comments on here absolutely hilarious. Top 10 uni doesn't matter. University status in general doesnt matter. If you have the drive, determination and personality to go out there and get a job you will.

I bet most of you replying haven't even started University yet.
I despair at these comments.

OP, you're aware of the reality that outside of uni, 'Top 10' uni degrees and Masters degrees (I'm assuming an MA?) don't impress anyone without relevant and plentiful experience.

If you managed to get the latter throughout the course of your MA, then there's no reason to think you'll be in the same situation again. If you didn't then you need to start getting it ASAP because without it, a BA/BSc/MA/MSc will do nothing for you and collecting qualifications is not going to get you a job. I'm pretty sure you know this given what you wrote in your OP.

And to all those people who are so wet behind the ears to think an MA from a top ten is going to get you a job, no it won't. Degrees in relation to jobs are like passports in relation to emigration. Just because you have a British passport doesn't mean Australia is going to let you in to live -you need more than the passport, you need an important skill.

Likewise just because you have a degree from a top uni doesn't mean that a well know company is going to just hand you a job. You need more. You need experience.

OP, if you have experience in your field, be positive, be proactive and apply! If you don't, get it and get it fast.
Reply 12
Original post by Little Toy Gun
That's a bit dodgy. There are so many disciplines and league tables out there, surely most universities could've been Top 10 on one of them.

its triple accredited and it was found in the top ten for my school in many newspapers.
Reply 13
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I despair at these comments.

OP, you're aware of the reality that outside of uni, 'Top 10' uni degrees and Masters degrees (I'm assuming an MA?) don't impress anyone without relevant and plentiful experience.

If you managed to get the latter throughout the course of your MA, then there's no reason to think you'll be in the same situation again. If you didn't then you need to start getting it ASAP because without it, a BA/BSc/MA/MSc will do nothing for you and collecting qualifications is not going to get you a job. I'm pretty sure you know this given what you wrote in your OP.

And to all those people who are so wet behind the ears to think an MA from a top ten is going to get you a job, no it won't. Degrees in relation to jobs are like passports in relation to emigration. Just because you have a British passport doesn't mean Australia is going to let you in to live -you need more than the passport, you need an important skill.

Likewise just because you have a degree from a top uni doesn't mean that a well know company is going to just hand you a job. You need more. You need experience.

OP, if you have experience in your field, be positive, be proactive and apply! If you don't, get it and get it fast.

I have some experience but it has been as patchy as I have jumped from job to job. I have to tried to get experience on this degree, but have failed to balance it with the intensity of my degree and other responsible. I have maintained the job that I have always had, but that brings nothing to where I want to go in the future.
Original post by Kasa
its triple accredited and it was found in the top ten for my school in many newspapers.

Is it an MBA?

Open University is triple accredited but Oxbridge are not, so it doesn't mean anything.
Original post by Saliency
I find the comments on here absolutely hilarious. Top 10 uni doesn't matter. University status in general doesnt matter. If you have the drive, determination and personality to go out there and get a job you will.

I bet most of you replying haven't even started University yet.

And you're basing this as someone with five degrees from five different universities and 30 years of work experience in 10 different fields at 5 different levels?
Original post by Kasa
I have some experience but it has been as patchy as I have jumped from job to job. I have to tried to get experience on this degree, but have failed to balance it with the intensity of my degree and other responsible. I have maintained the job that I have always had, but that brings nothing to where I want to go in the future.

How were you 'unemployed' when you have always had a job?
Original post by Kasa

I'd suggest emphasizing whatever experience you have. Do you know what sector you want to work in?

The last thing to do is to give up hope and let negativity take over - you're obviously bright and hardworking given your academics so all that's missing from the jigsaw puzzle is experience. Once you've got that you'll make a very competitive applicant - do not lose sight of that no matter what happens once you graduate.

It's not ideal, I know, but if you have to spend some time after your MA building up more experience then do it if that's what it's going to take. Either way, whether you snag a grad job or get more experience - you've got to be ruthlessly determined and blinkered in your pursuits.

I'm taking a year out at the moment doing work placements and voluntary work. It's not ideal but if you're determined to get a particular job then you are going to need a relevant CV full of experience. If you cannot get paid work, get voluntary work in something as close to your chosen job as possible (if it's not related then highlight parts of it that are). Just keep your CV ticking over - never let it idle because that's when you start getting into a rut.

Just focus on the belief that you'll get a job - keep applying and if you get rejection ask for feedback! But as I say, if you don't get a job keep your CV up to date, build up experience and use it as an opportunity to develop - don't let it cause you to think that you're inadequate. The job market is tough and you need experience to back up your academics.

Best of luck and stay positive!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kasa
Before I started this master's degree I was unemployed, hopeless and jobless. I struggled to find basic employment and was relentlessly humiliated at job interviews. I did had some intermittent jobs most of them didn’t go anywhere and were stopgaps on my CV. I attributed all these failings to my non-accredited undergraduate degree and, hence, I am now doing a master’s degree that is in the top ten in the UK league tables. This was largely thanks to winning a scholarship because I was from a deprived background.

What happened in the end? Did you manage to get a job?
Did the job situation improve after finishing your masters?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending