The Student Room Group

Why do a lot of hot girls go for average/below average males?

Shallow, I know, but the amount of girls, or women (married or not) with a lot uglier guys when they could be with someone a lot better is shocking

is there any actual 'reasoning' behind this? such as them being insecure with someone hotter than them?

Scroll to see replies

do they? could you please introduce me to them?
Reply 2
personality?
usually personality

if they arent attractive then they make up for it in confidence
Reply 4
Original post by ellie98
personality?

I can agree with that but more often than not (again this is what I've experienced) my good looking friends have better personalities than those who do not, yet the uglier ones are with extremely hot girls
Original post by Joshale
Shallow, I know, but the amount of girls, or women (married or not) with a lot uglier guys when they could be with someone a lot better is shocking

is there any actual 'reasoning' behind this? such as them being insecure with someone hotter than them?

It's not all about looks. If a guy is kind, funny and intelligent does that make him worse than an attractive female?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I loose track of how many times I see this question. Personal taste.
Reply 7
Confidence > looks
Reply 8
Original post by HygieneTherapy15
It's not all about looks. If a guy is kind, funny and intelligent does that make him worse than an attractive female?

Posted from TSR Mobile

of course not, but relationship wise when you're having sex I don't see how they can be turned on with someone below average in looks
Reply 9
Original post by Joshale

Confidence, personality, money, and a thousand other reasons.
Original post by Joshale
of course not, but relationship wise when you're having sex I don't see how they can be turned on with someone below average in looks

Who would you say was below average or average?
Because you do not love someone for their appearance, but for who they are.
Because your definition of "average" or "below average" isn't the same as everyone elses. And looks aren't everything.
Reply 13
below average looking male > usually more focused on education > better education = better job > better job = more money > more money = more financial stability for a woman.

Evolutionary women WILL choose a man who has money just because they provide them with financial security, which increases the survival of their offspring.

Off course there are other factors, but this is one.

Also, there is the explanation of like through association. We're more likely to form relationships with people who we meet on a happy positive vibe. So, this could just be a result of the so called "less attractive" person just being funny, kind and supportive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Maradiah
Who would you say was below average or average?

can't really think nor can't be bothered to look through actors, singers but some united players spring to mind;

Di maria, ander herrera, james wilson, mata, rooney
Reply 15
Original post by Async
below average looking male > usually more focused on education > better education = better job > better job = more money > more money = more financial stability for a woman.

Evolutionary women WILL choose a man who has money just because they provide them with financial security, which increases the survival of their offspring.

Off course there are other factors, but this is one.

good education, or more focused on education doesn't mean you'll get a six-figure salary though, likewise going to university doesn't grant you having a six-figure salary, or more.
Reply 16
Original post by Joshale

Sex takes up such a small portion of a long term relationship. Yes, it's good to find you partner attractive, and maybe these people genuinely do find their partner attractive.
Original post by Joshale
can't really think nor can't be bothered to look through actors, singers but some united players spring to mind;

Di maria, ander herrera, james wilson, mata, rooney

Mata and Ander Herrera are ok looking, the rest are below average I agree.:yes:

I always thought someone below average was someone who had a face full of acne or buck teeth.
Reply 18
Original post by Joshale
good education, or more focused on education doesn't mean you'll get a six-figure salary though, likewise going to university doesn't grant you having a six-figure salary, or more.

I never mentioned anything about six figure salary. The male earning more than the woman is enough for the woman to want to be with him.

Also, there is the explanation of like through association. We're more likely to form relationships with people who we meet on a happy positive vibe. So, this could just be a result of the so called "less attractive" person just being funny, kind and supportive.
One person's version of attractiveness is not the same as someone else's. Bardock Obama summed up attractiveness pretty well on facebook:

And that's all before you even consider personality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending