The Student Room Group

How many references enough for a 6000 word dissertation?

I'm studying I.T. I've finished the literature review and only have 35, is this too few?
Reply 1
bumpy!
From what I remember the general rule is 10-15 per 1000 words, in which case you're running very light.
Reply 3
ok thanks
Reply 4
Usually it's a bit more complicated. For every factual statement that you make which is not mainstream (i.e. textbook), then you'll need to substantiate it with a reference. PM me if you need further guidance.
I'd say 1 reference per word.
In the past I've had 50+ references for 2500 word essays.

In an essay I just finished I put 30 references, which is very minimal.

I suggest at least 80-100 for you as its a dissertation.
I'd say if you've reached 50 you'll be OK. But they need to be relevant justified as references.
I've heard 1 reference per 100 words is a decent rule of thumb to go by. However, I personally take the opinion that the number of references you should have is the number of references you need to clearly explain your subject area and give the reader and appropriate breadth and depth of understanding. Adding references for the sake of adhering to the rule of thumb I just mentioned does nobody any favours. If it doesn't add anything to your work then it's unlikely to be worth doing. However you may wish to also include a bibliography of additional sources.

My 10,000 word masters thesis had somewhere between 10 and 20 references and about 10 items in the bibliography and this was appropriate given the nature of my work. Other people I knew had nearly 200 references in theirs.
Reply 9
Just a quick note for the unwary - don't send unsubmitted/unpublished academic work to strangers or professional organisations who offer to help. You leave yourself open to having your work copied, which in turn might result in you being accused of plagiarism.
Reply 10
Ok thanks guys, I truly think the 35 references I have covers nearly statement I have made in the literature review, so I won't force in anymore that will be clearly look like I've put them in for the sake of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well 20 ref is enough for my 6000 words dissertation it's a research method and all the other result part that will contribute to the overall 6000 words including; intro n discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending