The Student Room Group

Is it normal to have regrets?!

I'm currently at university and am only in my first year...

I love a lot about uni, I love the people, I love how close I am to London and I love the whole uni 'experience'

but recently I've started to have doubts about being here, I get good grades etc but I'm not particularly passionate in my course and I've just found out for financial reasons, I can't take a year abroad which is something I had my heart set on.

I know what I want to go into, and having a degree doesn't matter in it, but I can't help but feel having a degree at the end of the day is better than not having one.

Any advice? or anyone else having second thought?! I'm not asking for advice on what to do, more just other people who might be in the same boat or have been through the same thing and have gone one way or another.
Not really, there's nothing you can actually do now and there's no point wasting time and effort thinking if you did things differently, just focus on the present and future.
Reply 2
I definitely had/have regrets. Although mine were more on changing my university last minute due to reading one bad comment on the uni I had my heart set on going.

I keep trying to ignore it.. but this other uni's course was perfect, I loved the look of all the modules. The course I'm currently on is making me bored out of my mind and I keep thinking what if I didn't change.

I'm about to finish my first year too. It has been the least bit satisfying
"When you die, you'll regret the things you didn't do!"

You've got to weight out your options. So you're enjoying yourself but are perhaps questioning if you NEED to spend all this money on learning something that perhaps you can learn or develop on for free (creative course perhaps?).

But you're enjoying your time in Uni and quite honestly that is an experience most people look back on and smile when they are in their 40's and you have a long journey and lots of new people to meet.

If you drop out, what is it that you'll do and is it better than working towards a degree? The track you are on is currently somewhat safe with a potential light at the end of the tunnel, are you confident and prepared enough to drop out of Uni and pursuit the conquest independently?
Reply 4
Ask yourself what you would be doing if you gave up now. Probably job hunting, maybe ending up with a zero hours contract to keep the bills paid while you look for something better? And all without a degree. There's no guarantee that leaving uni would make your life better. The odds are that it would be much worse, unless you have something concrete set up before you leave.

A degree will last you the rest of your life. Even if you don't see the point of it now, you need to play the long game. And as you're enjoying uni life, try to stop letting your doubts spoil it for you.

Good luck!
I had doubts. At the end of my first year, I talked about trying to switch subject. I had doubts about whether I'd also gone to the right university. Just before I went into second year I actually contacted a number of universities local to my home, to see if I could change university AND course.

I ended up graduating with no regrets whatsoever - I ended up loving my course in second year, and found the area of my subject that I love studying; and I loved the university I went to (although it was by no means a smooth experience). I'm now doing a masters in my subject because I enjoy it that much, and considering a PhD.

Everyone's different, so you may not turn out to feel like I did - but I hope my experience shows that some doubt is normal and doesn't necessarily mean that you're doing the wrong thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It might just be a phase. Several times over my past four years at my uni have I doubted and thought I'd be better leaving without a degree or changing course. Such feelings can last for months at a time, but they are just a natural part of university life for some people.

But all in all I am super glad I have stuck with this to the soon-to-be end.

Give it to the end of your first year at least and see how you feel. Ask yourself why you went to university in the first place.
It's a lot to consider. I am currently going through the same emotions and stuff as you are.

I've accepted an unconditional at another uni and I am hoping to get someone to replace me on my 2nd year house contract so I can leave my current one. Now, I'm not unhappy at my present uni, I just have a feel that I would be happier at some place else. After visiting a uni last week, it felt right to move, and it feels right to study a course/subject that I know I will love and not regret after my 3 years of study.

I've made lots of friends who I will consider life-long friends and have met people who I won't give any credit to. I was anxious of moving because those friends didn't want me to - but you've got to look in the mirror and think about what YOU want and not other people. Do it for yourself, not for other people.

I'd rather regret not going, rather than regret going. Cause there's all these "What ifs". I'm almost done with my 1st year and I've made friends and I'd prefer not to go into my 2nd year hating my degree and thinking "I could have made more friends at the other uni" etc etc. Life is one big gamble and people make big decisions all the time. You have to just take it for what it is. You can always apply/accept a uni place and then come Sept, phone them up and say "I'm going to stay at my current uni".

I've always been the person to know what I want and this is exactly what I want. So that's what you have to ask yourself: "is this what I want?"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending