The Student Room Group

Young investment banker program april 19 2015 at UCL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WilliamChanguang
I thought it was awesome - a lot of the stuff you get from banks is self-serving marketing drab. These guys are independent and found them v useful. Not sure what you mean by the groups of 10 thing not being useful - where else can you practice an assessment centre with people you don't know and get feedback. Also loads of them are still working at IBs - I got in touch with the girl from Morgan Stanley; we went for coffee recently and she's letting me put her name down on my app!

You could have done without dropping £100+ on this programme..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WilliamChanguang
I thought it was awesome - a lot of the stuff you get from banks is self-serving marketing drab. These guys are independent and found them v useful. Not sure what you mean by the groups of 10 thing not being useful - where else can you practice an assessment centre with people you don't know and get feedback. Also loads of them are still working at IBs - I got in touch with the girl from Morgan Stanley; we went for coffee recently and she's letting me put her name down on my app!

Yes their insights were good, but my whole point was that it was completely not worth the money that was needed to go on it. If you think it was worth £190 or whatever it was, then you're a ****ing moron with no concept of the value of money, mate.

My university runs plenty of AC workshops which you can attend, and I have attended and they have been very useful. And the whole point I was making is that the feedback is terrible. Sure, some of them are good at it - on the first day the person watching us gave us all individual feedback which was excellent. But the second day, the guy was just like " yeah you all worked well as a team" even though we had a few arguments.

Yeah, she was good, but I think she was the only one who still works at an IB. The rest are all former employees, who have all got their own businesses now. Not to put down their achievements, they're still all incredible people to learn from, but there is no way paying that much money is worth it for that sort of experience when a lot of what they tell you, you can learn from various books/online resources, and if you go to networking events/insight days etc, you'll meet people just as good as them.
Hey dude chill out - I saved up to go on the course and it's helped me much more than the 5 nights out I would've spent the money on. Anyway I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion - it's helped me a lot. There were a few Deutsche guys there and an M&A girl from Goldmans who had some helpful material from Goldman HR with her.

Original post by Fas
Yes their insights were good, but my whole point was that it was completely not worth the money that was needed to go on it. If you think it was worth £190 or whatever it was, then you're a ****ing moron with no concept of the value of money, mate.

My university runs plenty of AC workshops which you can attend, and I have attended and they have been very useful. And the whole point I was making is that the feedback is terrible. Sure, some of them are good at it - on the first day the person watching us gave us all individual feedback which was excellent. But the second day, the guy was just like " yeah you all worked well as a team" even though we had a few arguments.

Yeah, she was good, but I think she was the only one who still works at an IB. The rest are all former employees, who have all got their own businesses now. Not to put down their achievements, they're still all incredible people to learn from, but there is no way paying that much money is worth it for that sort of experience when a lot of what they tell you, you can learn from various books/online resources, and if you go to networking events/insight days etc, you'll meet people just as good as them.
I went to the event a few weeks ago , it wasnt bad tbh however so many cocky people there thinking because they have a attended an event which you have to pay for you will become an investment banker lol
Original post by amahmoud0129
I went to the event a few weeks ago , it wasnt bad tbh however so many cocky people there thinking because they have a attended an event which you have to pay for you will become an investment banker lol

LOOOOL, that is actually tragic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
LOOOOL, that is actually tragic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
:laugh::laugh:
There was a few people saying anything relating to business and finance he was talking about economies of scale and one the speakers just said " you are not making any sense " loooool
Is this worth going to? Would be good if anyone who went to the november one could say what it was like. Contemplating it and would like to know if its worth it?
this is a meme
Original post by LordJesus
If you're an incompetent idiot who lacks any intuition then definitely go to this programme

Fitting for 80% of people on here then
Original post by TheRenaissanceMan
Lol. The stuff they sell to kids, I hope you get your moneys worth. There are books out there for a fraction of the price that would give you so much more value if you are willing to put in the hours and work at it.

Please inform me what you leant via inbox and I'll shoot you over some decent books you may want to look at depending on which sector you want join.

Some banks even have free PDF's and guides that are more sufficient as an introduction.

Hi TheRenaissanceMan,

I would appreciate if you could send me some of these book titles

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending