The Student Room Group

The island with Bear Grylls, women's island useless

I've just started watching this, they alternate each episode with the men's island and the women's. With the men's island so far they built a shelter and kept a fire burning from day 1.

The women's island is apparently more entertaining as they haven't got a clue, splitting up into two groups getting lost, not building adequate shelter,arguing, and bickering all the time and not finding food. Bear Grylls has to say the PC line "maybe the women might do better than the men"

So if you take civilization and comfort away would women struggle?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/11523417/The-Island-with-Bear-Grylls-Channel-4-review-strangely-compelling.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Interested to hear feminist views on this show.
There was wayyy more bickering between Paul and Andy than any of the women!
When she left because she was a beautician and she couldn't deal with her nails being dirty.

I lost it.
If the women's group hadn't split up I think they would be doing alright tbh

The men have had 3 people leave!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The decision to split up definitely cost them. But how well are they doing now they are together again? Just watched today's episode and they've only got a fire because Bear had to come in with another fire making kit for them, they've still got no shelter, they have no system at all worked out for dealing with storms (nearly lost their fire and got only a little water) and they've just killed one piglet. Which island would you rather be on?
LOL women
Reply 7
Original post by Rjdjones
The decision to split up definitely cost them. But how well are they doing now they are together again? Just watched today's episode and they've only got a fire because Bear had to come in with another fire making kit for them, they've still got no shelter, they have no system at all worked out for dealing with storms (nearly lost their fire and got only a little water) and they've just killed one piglet. Which island would you rather be on?

Haven't seen that ep yet, but I was wondering if bear would intervene if they couldn't find food or make fire by a certain time.
I was going to make a thread on this myself. The women work so much better as a group, their actually a good team and work well together recognising each other's strengths.

There is so much conflict with the men, I can't believe you think the opposite.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I was going to make a thread on this myself. The women work so much better as a group, their actually a good team and work well together recognising each other's strengths.

Without help, all of the women probably would have died by day 2. They're having it so easy compared to the men.
What I have learned from this TV show (both) I that if you pile 14 people on a desert island with absolutely no clue how to keep themselves warm, dry, safe and healthy then its going to be a ****ing disaster.

The men vs women thing is just some sort of strange false conflict.

But ... despite the conflict look at what the men have achieved compared to what the women have at the moment. The women may be getting on better but they aren't doing well with basic survival. Without the new fire kit they would have no water or food.

They made a fire easily at the start of the episode, they just encountered problems when they headed towards the other beach.

And the fact that they actually killed one piglet shows a lot of strength. The piglets became their pets, they actually followed them when they changed camp to the other side of the Island ffs. It took a lot of strength to be able to do that, but then I think to also be willing to go without, and refuse to kill/ eat the pig like some of the others did, also requires strength. To still stick to your principles when faced with strong hunger takes a lot of strength of character. I don't know why you're judging someone's strength by that, it's not as obvious as 'kill pig, be strong man!'. :rolleyes:

In comparison the guys last time were more than happy to kill an endangered crocodile without a second thought. But let's not forget the fact that many would find it easier to kill a crocodile than a piglet.

Did you see the preview of next episode with the guys? Bickering, bitching and whining like a group of old fisher wives, is that why you'd rather be on that Island?
let's not forget that the women actually managed to make multiple fires using that prehistoric technology whereas the men kinda cheated using the glasses

Posted from TSR Mobile
But ... despite the conflict look at what the men have achieved compared to what the women have at the moment. The women may be getting on better but they aren't doing well with basic survival. Without the new fire kit they would have no water or food.

Like I said, they have made fire easilt in the past. Only earlier on in the episode they had a fire going for three hours to boil the water they found?

They faced problems afterwards for what reasons I'm not sure.
Original post by Smug Life
Without help, all of the women probably would have died by day 2. They're having it so easy compared to the men.

Expand?

I do remember the guys suddenly "discovering" a fishing net hanging from a tree in their last episode. What a coincidence!!

It tickles me that you think the guys have had no help. This show is bull ****e anyway, does anyone remember Survivor from years ago? Some of the toughest competitor were women, hard as nails.
They made a fire easily at the start of the episode, they just encountered problems when they headed towards the other beach.

And the fact that they actually killed one piglet shows a lot of strength. The piglets became their pets, they actually followed them when they changed camp to the other side of the Island ffs. It took a lot of strength to be able to do that, but then I think to also be willing to go without, and refuse to kill/ eat the pig like some of the others did, also requires strength. To still stick to your principles when faced with strong hunger takes a lot of strength of character. I don't know why you're judging someone's strength by that, it's not as obvious as 'kill pig, be strong man!'. :rolleyes:

In comparison the guys last time were more than happy to kill an endangered crocodile without a second thought. But let's not forget the fact that many would find it easier to kill a crocodile than a piglet.

Did you see the preview of next episode with the guys? Bickering, bitching and whining like a group of old fisher wives, is that why you'd rather be on that Island?

There are all kinds of different strengths but take a look at the context - survival. Making the piglets pets was a mistake. Can you remember who made them pets, who killed the piglet and who ate and who didn't? I can't. But you raise the point of not eating as a strength. These women have barely eaten or had any water. Turning down food based on principle isn't going to help you survive, is it?

As for the croc, I'm guessing you've seen the complaints about it. But apart from being endangered it was also a large meal for all of them rather than a piglet shared by a big group.

The next men's episode looks interesting - I wonder why they have wasted energy building a raft. But despite the bickering the men look like they have a much better chance of surviving.
and if it was just about survival I'd definitely rather be on the men's island.
Who can forget the first guy who wanted to leave cause he missed his gf and wanted a cheese pizza
Expand?

I do remember the guys suddenly "discovering" a fishing net hanging from a tree in their last episode. What a coincidence!!

It tickles me that you think the guys have had no help. This show is bull ****e anyway, does anyone remember Survivor from years ago? Some of the toughest competitor were women, hard as nails.

I agree that the men are being a bit pathetic, and are also being helped a lot, but:

- The women "stumble upon" Iron Bru in the sea.
- The young pigs literally walk into their camp and around the fire, and the women still sit around complaining. The men have to go and kill caimans.
- The pigs are obviously drugged so that the women can kill them more easily, when they eventually decide to.
- Bear gives the women more fire starters and water bottles, since they still can't survive with what they've already been given.
- The women are just lounging around, looking fine. Compare that to the men who were literally skin and bones and jumped on a crocodile because they were so hungry.
- The women are either being given food/water off camera, or they are just brick ****ing stupid.

Reminder that there is only an island with purely women on it because a bunch of social justice warriors complained that there were only men on the show during the first season. You're now seeing why that was the case.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is this actually any good? Does anyone watch these types of shows regularly and is familiar with Bruce Parry/Les Stroud/Ray Mears/Cody Lundin etc and can tell me if this is good?

If it's good I'll give it a watch but I kinda think I know what to expect already.

Actually, I have just realised this was on last year and it was ****.

Quick Reply

Latest