The Student Room Group

The island with Bear Grylls, women's island useless

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In One Ear
I only started watching the show yesterday and only watched the latest episode for both the men and the women but I think its fair to say the men are doing a bit better.

That PHD girl might truly have died if there was another rainstorm, she was in an awful condition. The girls got lucky and had free food (two piglets) which saved them. They were a bit pathetic in taking so long to kill them tbh, OBVIOUSLY they are going to have to hunt and kill animals to survive the 6-weeks, so they may as well get over it now. It was also really dumb not going and getting more water from the waterfall before it ran dry. Essentially they've already lost the competition since they had to be saved by getting a new fire starting kit dropped in- they would have all died otherwise. They are also disorganized and have no routines in place. To be fair a few of the women are good- I think Lauren is fantastic tbh and a few of the older ladies (don't remember names) have the right attitude also. Some of the others are not so good though...

The men have an organised camp with proper shelter and seats, fire running 24/7, and have daily firewood and water gathering routines in place. They have a bit of internal strife and to be fair Kyle is a useless lazy piece of **** in all that episode although he partially redeems himself by killing the croc. They DIDNT get 'free' food in the form of random piglets and instead actually hunted some crocs, thats pretty badass! The women have yet to pull off actually hunting anything...

I only watched the latest episode to me but as far as I could see the women would have all died this episode without outside intervention and the men were gradually starving (but then so were the women only they got lucky with the piglets), but eventually hunted a croc so have a few more days added to their reserve from all the calories. To be honest the women are probably still near starving too, those piglets didn't look so big shared between all of them...(minus the one who wouldn't eat them).

Whether or not the men argue a bit has nothing to do with the fact they are definitely a step ahead of the women at this point.

In addition to this, the piglets are not wild and were placed on the island. The producers have admitted this as well because they claim they had to ensure there was enough food on the island. Strange that the men were not so lucky, hmmm.....
Reply 41
The Womens Island is pathetic. I only watch it to see the preview of the men's island the week after.
Reply 42
Cruelity for the sake of entertainment disgusting and sad.
Anyone who thinks that the women are doing just as good as the men, is delusional.

Just waiting for Vic to swim across to their island and conquer it with his fishing rod
Reply 44
Original post by jemma224
Cruelity for the sake of entertainment disgusting and sad.

Why did you create a new account just to post this?
Original post by Reue
Why did you create a new account just to post this?

Wut?

Why not?
Reply 46
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Wut?

Why not?

Just found it odd. Clearly a dupe so wondered why they felt the need to create a dupe to post something they are passionate about.
Original post by Reue
Just found it odd. Clearly a dupe so wondered why they felt the need to create a dupe to post something they are passionate about.

Why is it clearly a dupe, maybe they just don't post, only found the forum, or lurk alot.

They're dead right though, the women are absolutely pathetic, and would have been dead long before now if it wasn't for intervention. They're a complete train wreck.
Reply 48
Original post by arichmond64
They're dead right though, the women are absolutely pathetic, and would have been dead long before now if it wasn't for intervention. They're a complete train wreck.

I completely agree.
Reply 49
What did you expect? There is a reason all successful civilizations are patriachal. In a lot of cases all women contribute is giving birth to men.

The really amusing thing is that originally it was only supppsed to be men taking part but the feminists complained said it was sexist and women are just as capable. Then this happened.
Original post by Zander01
Anyone who thinks that the women are doing just as good as the men, is delusional.

Just waiting for Vic to swim across to their island and conquer it with his fishing rod

Original post by arichmond64
Why is it clearly a dupe, maybe they just don't post, only found the forum, or lurk alot.

Original post by RtGOAT
What did you expect? There is a reason all successful civilizations are patriachal. In a lot of cases all women contribute is giving birth to men.

The really amusing thing is that originally it was only supppsed to be men taking part but the feminists complained said it was sexist and women are just as capable. Then this happened.

It looks like the women still need to build a shelter, so are definitely well behind the men. it would have been better if they had more female builders and less beauty/hairdressers. Some of the women seem to be better at the survival task than others.

The men have one fishing hook left if I remember correctly. If they lose that then it would be harder for them too.

Overall, I think the key thing to remember is do not split up looking for a place to set up camp. Lol the women put themselves at a disadvantage to begin with.
Original post by Twinpeaks
They made a fire easily at the start of the episode, they just encountered problems when they headed towards the other beach.

And the fact that they actually killed one piglet shows a lot of strength. The piglets became their pets, they actually followed them when they changed camp to the other side of the Island ffs. It took a lot of strength to be able to do that, but then I think to also be willing to go without, and refuse to kill/ eat the pig like some of the others did, also requires strength. To still stick to your principles when faced with strong hunger takes a lot of strength of character. I don't know why you're judging someone's strength by that, it's not as obvious as 'kill pig, be strong man!'. :rolleyes:

In comparison the guys last time were more than happy to kill an endangered crocodile without a second thought. But let's not forget the fact that many would find it easier to kill a crocodile than a piglet.

Did you see the preview of next episode with the guys? Bickering, bitching and whining like a group of old fisher wives, is that why you'd rather be on that Island?

So the women are emotionally strong? Well that's evident in their lack of will power as they have lost more members than the men. Especially frustrating was the beutician who left because she didn't want her nails to get dirt. Real will power and emotional strength (!) Even if the women were emotionally strong how does that translate into results? They have been so pathetic by killing one piglet. Only one god damn piglet. They would've died on the island due to the lack of fire if bear hadn't of given them the fire kit. This clearly demonstrates their lack of competence and resourcefulness. The women have no clear strategy and plan. They lack the initiative and strong willed mindset that the men posses on the other island. Surely it is only logical to conclude that the women on the island are a mess and would fail miserably without any help.
Original post by contradicta
let's not forget that the women actually managed to make multiple fires using that prehistoric technology whereas the men kinda cheated using the glasses

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's called resourcefulness. A quality that the women clearly do not posses.
Original post by DisturbedCustard
So the women are emotionally strong? Well that's evident in their lack of will power as they have lost more members than the men. Especially frustrating was the beutician who left because she didn't want her nails to get dirt. Real will power and emotional strength (!) Even if the women were emotionally strong how does that translate into results? They have been so pathetic by killing one piglet. Only one god damn piglet. They would've died on the island due to the lack of fire if bear hadn't of given them the fire kit. This clearly demonstrates their lack of competence and resourcefulness. The women have no clear strategy and plan. They lack the initiative and strong willed mindset that the men posses on the other island. Surely it is only logical to conclude that the women on the island are a mess and would fail miserably without any help.

Didn't read your long rant...

Mainly because after having watched this weeks episodes, yeah, the girls are ****ing useless.

But the majority of the men are also ****ing useless, apart from a select few who are carrying the rest through.

But the girls are embarrassing, that psychotherapist behaves like a child. How concerning is it that someone like that is meant to help people with mental/ emotional problems.

Edit: Your rant was stupid. Firstly, they have made fire before, did you not see the episode where they had a fire running for 3 hours because they were boiling water? Only later on in that episode when they moved camps could they not get a fire going, not sure why. So you're completely wrong by saying they couldn't start a fire :rolleyes:
And secondly, most left due to health reasons not because of emotional weakness.

I hate stupidity.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
Didn't read your long rant...

Mainly because after having watched this weeks episodes, yeah, the girls are ****ing useless.

But the majority of the men are also ****ing useless, apart from a select few who are carrying the rest through.

But the girls are embarrassing, that psychotherapist behaves like a child. How concerning is it that someone like that is meant to help people with mental/ emotional problems.

Edit: Your rant was stupid. Firstly, they have made fire before, did you not see the episode where they had a fire running for 3 hours because they were boiling water? Only later on in that episode when they moved camps could they not get a fire going, not sure why. So you're completely wrong by saying they couldn't start a fire :rolleyes:
And secondly, most left due to health reasons not because of emotional weakness.

I hate stupidity.

If you read my rant you would see that I did not once say the women can't or didn't make a fire. I said they would've died from the lack of fire if bear hadn't intervened later on. Please next time you decide to call someone stupid, make sure you know what your talking about first.

I hate ignorance.
Torrenting now, will return with my opinion.

Can't wait for this :cool:
Original post by holmes221
I've just started watching this, they alternate each episode with the men's island and the women's. With the men's island so far they built a shelter and kept a fire burning from day 1.

The women's island is apparently more entertaining as they haven't got a clue, splitting up into two groups getting lost, not building adequate shelter,arguing, and bickering all the time and not finding food. Bear Grylls has to say the PC line "maybe the women might do better than the men"

So if you take civilization and comfort away would women struggle?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/11523417/The-Island-with-Bear-Grylls-Channel-4-review-strangely-compelling.html

Worse than the children out of Lord of the Flies
This TV show is an allegory for Lord of the flies.. Stuck on the island, they call emergency meetings... Killing pigs for survival and the women even cut the pig's head off! Carbon copy!
Original post by contradicta
let's not forget that the women actually managed to make multiple fires using that prehistoric technology whereas the men kinda cheated using the glasses

Watching this now, lol it's hardly cheating, there is more than one way to start a fire. It's not always going to work with the bow drill so they improvised and adapted with the items they had.
I reckon they should have put the islands next to each other so if they were really desperate they could build a raft and get across :P

The main mistake of the women was to split up and although amusing to watch it set them back days and lost them valuable strength which they could have used in other ways. It will be interesting to see how it goes and whether the women are allowed to continue.

Quick Reply

Latest