The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

6+6=6
it wont be a first batch, it will be a second.

a tjhriblljijljirirprprliip.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
Castle's location is just too good to leave.
Reply 42
Yeah I had to laugh at this e-mail because tbh it seemed like they were begging people to come. Personally I'm loving Aidans too much at the moment (although I have friends at Butler and they say its a good college).
Reply 43
Mildert's choice of ale is just too nice to give up.
Reply 44
arkbar
Become a sabbatical toastie manager...

You don't know how many people have said that to me recently...and how much I'd love it. But if I were paid to do that, then the shop would make a MASSIVE loss (through my salary!)....shame :frown:

Anywho, on the subject of the actual e-mail, I think people are being a bit too harsh....any e-mail suggesting people leave their college and move to a completely different (slightly 'unstable') one is always going to sound like its "pleading" for people. From what I've heard, the people who ARE at Butler and have gotten into certain positions within the JCR seem to really enjoy it. I just think that there is that aspect of people who have transferred just for the accomodation/they had no friends at their previous college and so they're just, like, loners at Butler....plowing through their degree with their heads down!

Anyway, the only reason I said I would be interested in it is that either way, I can't stay at Trevs (unless I do a postgrad degree, which is NOT happening!!)...so thought about Sab. Butler position. Don't think I'll do it now, might move to Prague instead! :smile:
Reply 45
dobbs
might move to Prague instead! :smile:

Just for the sex :wink:

:p:
Reply 46
dobbs
You don't know how many people have said that to me recently...and how much I'd love it. But if I were paid to do that, then the shop would make a MASSIVE loss (through my salary!)....shame :frown:

Anywho, on the subject of the actual e-mail, I think people are being a bit too harsh....any e-mail suggesting people leave their college and move to a completely different (slightly 'unstable') one is always going to sound like its "pleading" for people. From what I've heard, the people who ARE at Butler and have gotten into certain positions within the JCR seem to really enjoy it. I just think that there is that aspect of people who have transferred just for the accomodation/they had no friends at their previous college and so they're just, like, loners at Butler....plowing through their degree with their heads down!

Anyway, the only reason I said I would be interested in it is that either way, I can't stay at Trevs (unless I do a postgrad degree, which is NOT happening!!)...so thought about Sab. Butler position. Don't think I'll do it now, might move to Prague instead! :smile:

I cant comment on the part about the transferees' reason for transferring, however the only Sab. position (if there in fact will be one) will be President, and this cannot be a transferee who is at another college at present, next year because of the constitution (I think).
Reply 47
I was accosted by a midget prostitute in Prague. I nearly lost a flip-flop fleeing for my life.
Reply 48
A friend was once chased down the street by a rollerblading transsexual prostitute, true story.
Reply 49
:toofunny:
Reply 50
Becca - yep :smile: Not my fault she has another 2 years at uni! Plus I figured out something I could enjoy doing - teaching English! There's a thing called TEFL (Teaching English for Foreign Languages) or something like that, so might go over and do that next summer in Prague then see where that leads. Just depends how things go :smile:

6+6 - Yeah I thought it might be like that. Oh well!

Christo - Why did you run away? Although in my experience in Prague I didn't see any prostitutes. Well, not that I know of!

Ali - Erm, ok
Reply 51
Kev-Anything can happen in West Hollywood, so I am informed.
Reply 52
dobbs
Becca - yep :smile: Not my fault she has another 2 years at uni! Plus I figured out something I could enjoy doing - teaching English! There's a thing called TEFL (Teaching English for Foreign Languages) or something like that, so might go over and do that next summer in Prague then see where that leads. Just depends how things go :smile:

TEFL is good but you have to pay for your training. But it's an awesome qualification to have.
I want to go to Praha. :smile:
Reply 53
Becca
TEFL is good but you have to pay for your training. But it's an awesome qualification to have.
I want to go to Praha. :smile:

Is it really that good a qualification to have? That's the thing I'm worried about - I know the costs and although a bit pricey it's not like "out of my range" as long as I do a bit of work over the summer I'm pretty sure it'll be fine......but just wondering whether I'm going to benefit from getting it afterwards.

Plus there are so many organisations which run TEFL courses it's so confusing! But I've found one which looks pretty good and very officially! :smile:

Praha is awesome! Though very confusing, I think I'm used to visiting American cities which are laid out like a grid, or even British cities which have been half demolished to make them simpler to navigate.....Prague is just a maze!! Lovely though...but I got to also see the 'other side' of Prague - the outskirts, which were actually pretty nice, but scary! Just lots of high-rise flats everywhere, which I associate with "rough" areas in England but I was assured that it was a nice area with little crime over there. Quite weird!

Anywho yes, if all goes well this time next year I may well be living in Prague....but as I say....if all goes well :wink:
Reply 54
Yeah I think it is a good qualification to have, obviously if you go into teaching it's brilliant, but it's also good for any other job as teaching (especially foreign people) is such a challenging task.
:smile:
Reply 55
Becca
Yeah I think it is a good qualification to have, obviously if you go into teaching it's brilliant, but it's also good for any other job as teaching (especially foreign people) is such a challenging task.
:smile:

You think?

I was always a bit suspicous! The TEFL course I've looked at say they do a language section of it which you have to take part in just so you understand how the students would feel when I taught them....i.e. I would have some lessons in a language I'd never done before.

Fine, I thought this would be good - learn some (more) Czech! But then it says that the language could be anything from Czech, Spanish, Italian, French, German....etc etc!! I'm gona contact them and ask if, since it's in Prague, whether it's like definitely Czech! lol

But otherwise yeah, if someone has a question and they don't know how to say it in English, or say it completely wrong.....what do you do? "Sorry mate I know I'm meant to teach you English, but unless you can actually already speak English then you're stuffed really aren't you!" :rolleyes:
Reply 56
dobbs
You think?

I was always a bit suspicous! The TEFL course I've looked at say they do a language section of it which you have to take part in just so you understand how the students would feel when I taught them....i.e. I would have some lessons in a language I'd never done before.

Fine, I thought this would be good - learn some (more) Czech! But then it says that the language could be anything from Czech, Spanish, Italian, French, German....etc etc!! I'm gona contact them and ask if, since it's in Prague, whether it's like definitely Czech! lol

But otherwise yeah, if someone has a question and they don't know how to say it in English, or say it completely wrong.....what do you do? "Sorry mate I know I'm meant to teach you English, but unless you can actually already speak English then you're stuffed really aren't you!" :rolleyes:

I really think you're thinking about this waaaaaaaaay too much! If it interests you, just do it! I promise you you wouldn't be getting ripped off. :smile:
Reply 57
Becca
I really think you're thinking about this waaaaaaaaay too much! If it interests you, just do it! I promise you you wouldn't be getting ripped off. :smile:

I'm only thinking about it so much because I know when I graduate having kinda made my parents think I'm going to start earning big-money (obviously...being a Durham graduate! lol) I may have to convince them that spending another £1,000+ on going and doing some funny course in Prague and then maybe living there is the right thing to do!

Also I want to make sure that if anything happened in "the other reason behind going to Prague" that doing TEFL would still be a good thing to do :redface:
Reply 58
dobbs
I'm only thinking about it so much because I know when I graduate having kinda made my parents think I'm going to start earning big-money (obviously...being a Durham graduate! lol) I may have to convince them that spending another £1,000+ on going and doing some funny course in Prague and then maybe living there is the right thing to do!

Also I want to make sure that if anything happened in "the other reason behind going to Prague" that doing TEFL would still be a good thing to do :redface:

It still would be a good thing to do. ;yes;

Latest

Trending

Trending