The Student Room Group

AS English Literature-HELP!

Hiya everyone..!

I really need some help & guidance with my AS English Literature!

I'm predicted an A, but am getting really mixed messages from my teachers (I have 2 teachers for Lit you see!). With one teacher, I get As in all my essays; with the other, Bs, B+s, and B-s. When questioned, he said it was because of my "writing style". He said I have all the content, it is just my "style" that lets me down, and I don't quite understand what he means.

He said I should try to link paragraphs, and try to be more specific with my points. But how can that have such a great impact on my grades? Do you know where I can find sample essays to look at, to improve my writing style? Or do you have any tips you can give me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all very much! x
Reply 1
Smiler_uk

He said I should try to link paragraphs, and try to be more specific with my points. But how can that have such a great impact on my grades? Do you know where I can find sample essays to look at, to improve my writing style? Or do you have any tips you can give me?

Linking paragraphs will make your essays flow much more smoothly, and also earn you marks, thus having an impact on your grades, as in linking paragraphs you will probably be making comparisons. By being more specific with your points perhaps your teacher means going into more detail on what you mean. For example, maybe backing up your ideas by using quotes and elaborating on how these quotes have affected what you think. Make more specific, detailed comments on particular lines or words, rather than vague or generalised comments about the whole text or whatever you're writing the essay on.

I don't know of anywhere where you can look up sample essays, but perhaps you could ask the teacher who's giving you A's what they think of your writing style and in what ways it could be improved. If they say it's fine then you may just have an incredibly picky teacher and will probably get A's in the exam anyway :smile: Good luck

Latest