The Student Room Group

What do you believe will happen to you after death and why?

And are you afraid of death?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing, Not afraid of Death but anxious about the way i'm going to die.
I am an atheist, so no heaven or hell/dimensions after death for me. However, I am a mildly spiritual person. I believe that your memory survives longer than some might assume, and that you have influence after your death in the minds and hearts of others. But no floating off on clouds.

I am not afraid of death itself. Death is a part of life. But I do fear dying, if that makes sense. I hope I'm not in pain for long when I reach the end.

If I could choose, the idea of Five People You Meet in Heaven really appeals to me (a novel by Mitch Albom). That you meet five people, from those closest to you to virtual strangers, and you learn how you changed their life and they change yours, a little Sliding Doors style. That would be awesome sauce.
Original post by parrot16

I don't think there's anything after death, mainly because it makes the most sense to me and I haven't seen any convincing evidence to the contrary.

And yes, If I think about it for too long it terrifies me. I recognise it's a pointless fear because I can't change my fate, but I'm only human.

[video="youtube;BBFImUkVFvE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBFImUkVFvE[/video]

I don't know what's after death, I'll find out when I get there.
I'm afraid of how I'll die.
What frightens me is how we wont get to experience everything in the world. And how short our existance really is. We spend a quarter of it in education and then a further half of it at work and the rest in retirement. Quite depressing how many people achieve absolutely nothing and are forgotten about when they are gone.
The transience of our life, and the true meaning that we have as individuals is a little depressing if you think about it. But I'm not afraid of death, and is something I had to come to terms with being in a clinical environment slowly starting a career. I really don't think there is anything after life and would feel that I would be kidding myself; and feel to do so would be too egocentric. We're no different from ants, mice, monkeys, or anything else.
death is completely natural: death may come for you today, next week or in eighty years... but death will come. nobody can say what it is like to be dead.... because you are dead ?
Reply 8
I don't believe anything will happen to me after death because I believe I won't exist any more.

I think my brain is responsible for conscious experience, and if it stops working, well, bye bye conscious experience.
I don't believe in life after death.

I'm somewhat afraid of it.
I don't believe in an afterlife or reincarnation etc.

Death doesn't worry me unless I think about it properly, like I cannot imagine just being there conscious and alive one second, then just... nothing... the next.
Decompose.

Decomposers.
I'm not sure, but I'm not afraid of death. I do want to do things like have children and make sure my family have quite a decent amount of money though, I just want my life to have been of some use to people. Over the last few years I welcomed death but I was pretty self destructive during that time period.
Statue maybe?
I'm not scared about dying although the thing that petrifies me is that I know I won't get to see the future. I won't know if there is life elsewhere in the universe, I won't know what dark energy is, I won't know if there are other universe etc.

I'll die and with me the questions to which I never had to chance to know. This is what scares me beyond anything.
Reply 15
I will rot.
I believe nothing will happen after the death. All evidence points to our subjective experience (i.e the self) being something of a side-effect of our brain functioning, once this stops the self no longer exists. There is simply no room for any essence that lives on after brain death.

Yes, i am absolutely terrified of dying.

Everyone is afraid of dying and death. It's because of the not knowing. We don't know whether we'll be in pain when dying, we don't know where we're going when we do die or what happens to us. We're taught not to fear death because its inevitable..but I believe everyone does, even if you have some form of supernatural belief/religion/scientific explanation, there'll always be an ounce of doubt and that's normal
Nothing, I will simply cease to be. Eventually, my body will rot away too.

Yes, I'm scared of death. I like living, and have much more to do.
Not scared but hope it happens at the right time when I'm ready and not early

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending