The Student Room Group

How to get a guys attention??

I really like this guy but I want him to come and speck to me first and I don't know what to do to get him to talk to me ? Like how do I get his attention and make him like me back?
You cant really make someone like you back.... but just try and talk to him be friendly, be yourself xxx
Original post by Anonymous
I really like this guy but I want him to come and speck to me first and I don't know what to do to get him to talk to me ? Like how do I get his attention and make him like me back?

Well how often do you see this guy?

Also maybe try sitting next to him and smiling at him. Good luck!

you cant make someone like you. You should approach him first.
Reply 4
You could ask him for his help on something and then make conversation, however, in this day and age I really don't understand why you just can't approach him as a woman and tell him how you feel.
(edited 8 years ago)

can you expand on the details of the situation please?
Reply 6
Show him your tits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like do it old style, pretend to be struggling with a load of folders or books a little like right near him/next to him (don't overdo this so you look a dweeb though) and see if he will come and help. Makes it far easier on the guy if you give him something to work with, he wont want to look a tool by going up to you with little to say and flunking it. Failing that not working try 'accidentally' dropping something, again right near him, could also 'accidentally' slightly kick book towards him as you 'try' to pick it up. A little corny but its the old classic for a reason, and as long as you act decently and try to make it look a bit natural 'accident' it will look fine. Most important thing is to give the guy an opener here for a conversation so in addition to the act try and say something like on the book you dropped or about him or something. That way he has plenty to work with rather than a, 'here you go' type of response.
"accidentally touch him" anywhere like bump into him with anything
If you like someone you need to be the first one to make a move. Annoying as it sounds the chances of them speaking first without any kind of verbal contact are low. Start of with small talk - get to know him and THEN start to see if he begins to start off the conversations.
Yeah just thought to add to above poster please don't do what a lot of women seem to do and just stand there giving him the eye and/or go in really tarted up, this is all very well but chances of him talking to you by this approach are slim in fact its likely to be counter-productive as if he's shy or you come across as real hot he will be even less likely to know how to handle it. His focus will just be on how pretty you look and it will push anything else to say out of his mind. Many women do this and its just real laziness and I think many relationships are lost because of this method. As above poster said you really need to get to communication or your chances are real low otherwise so using above method of providing him with an opener may help if you're too shy to initiate conversation.
Bend over
He'l probably never talk to you if you don't talk to him first lol
Make. A. Move.

this includes but isn't limited to:

walking up and wait for it.. actually starting a conversation with the guy. we're Not mind readers you know, and any of all this 'accidentally bump into him' crap, Won't get the type of attention you want from him.

You want him to see you in that way? That romantic kind of way? Terribly sorry, but you gonna to have walk across that hallway and actually introduce yourself to the dude. Talk to him and actively flirt with the guy. It's really not rocket science.

lastly, you can't make someone 'talk to you first', if You like the guy. You can't make him love you, without any effort on your side in talking to the guy first or anything.

'I don't know what to do to get him to talk to me' << ever tried, i don't know.. talking to the guy..?

'I really like this guy but I want him to come and speck to me first' << Never. Gonna. Happen. Unless YOU do something about it.

'Like how do I get his attention and make him like me back?' <<< looooooool. that's the thing.. you can't. You can't physically force a human to like you. How would you feel if a guy tried to do the same to you..? you would want your freedom to like whoever right? Exactly. You can only flirt with him and HOPE that he likes you back. that's all to it.

If you learn nothing from above; learn this:

Forget tradition (the 'rule' that states that guys have to talk to girls first); and talk to this guy.

IF you don't forget tradition, then you're just shooting yourself in the foot. As not only will he not know you, he wouldn't like you either.

(Simples:wink: *clicks teeth like a Meerkat*)
why are you so entitled to think that he should approach you first when clearly it is you who has the reason to approach him? wow
Have you made eye contact with him? If so, the next time he looks at you smile back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Some of us just don't have the confidence to approach so you could try approaching him instead?
Original post by Spiral-79
Have you made eye contact with him? If so, the next time he looks at you smile back.

Please don't do this, its a fool's errand, you'll just get into a vicious cycle of this happening and you'll create a tense situation everytime you meet that will make it real awkward to break and initiate conversation for either of you. You won't know him either, even though you feel that you do, the only way to know him is by getting into conversation and if you don't feel you are ever up to it you need to provide him with an opener to assist him, it will be easier for both of you that way. You have to consider how easy it would be for him to approach a stranger he knows nothing about and has nothing to grab onto for opening up a conversation, basically as hard as it is for you. Trust me on this one.
Best way to chat up man and impress him is to offer to buy him a drink, its the most common way that men use to chat up women but its much rarer the other way, so if do you'll win his respect over straight away. It will work trust me as its happened me before so I know.
there is a lot of good sense in these responses, particularly the ones that are obviously from guys. This is what most of us guys have struggled with and still struggle with. How to get a girl talking to you. What to talk about and how to stop yourself puking up with nerves.
If you are not confident enough to go over and sit next to him, "is this seat taken?" or ask if you can buy him a drink then some subterfuge is called for. The one that really makes me smile is to "accidently" knock a drink on him if you are in a bar. If it is a coffee bar then this might not work the way you want it to. But in a bar, you knock his drink over him, or spill yours on him, and then really go overboard with your apology, making it last and last and last. Offer to replace the drink, get some towels, pay for dry cleaning, and keep on apologising until he softens and says "its okay, it's no big deal".
Then you have to make conversation with him so if you don't know how to make conversation then this won't work but it is a great way to break the ice. And even if the conversation doesn't develop at that point (because they are his favourite trousers, shoes etc) then he will remember next time you see him and you can go over and apologise all over again and offer to buy him a drink as a peace offering.
Give it a go

Quick Reply