The Student Room Group

A2 CCEA Eng Lit 15th May 2015

Hey guys.

Just thought I'd say I have yet to start revising and for those who are currently revising, what do you predict to come up?

I'm studying 3 texts;
-King Lear
-Burial at Thebes
-Rape of the Lock

Scroll to see replies

How are you finding Lear? I literally don't have a clue how to even write an essay on it and am freaking out so bad.

My teacher thinks it's going to be on either tragedy or tragic hero - very open, I know. As long as it doesn't ask something like "will of the gods" again, I'm hoping I'll eventually get there
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by conallkeenan
How are you finding Lear? I literally don't have a clue how to even write an essay on it and am freaking out so bad.

My teacher thinks it's going to be on either tragedy or tragic hero - very open, I know, she hasn't exactly been too helpful this year. As long as it doesn't ask something like "will of the gods" again, I'm hoping I'll eventually get there

I'm repeating it. I'm at university at the minute but repeating it to reapply to a different uni and get a better mark. I got a C in this one (surprised I even passed when I got that paper in June and got an A in the other A2 module)

I literally have no clue how it's going to go! I remember last year was an absolute disaster. The question was worded horrendously. Thankfully I've all my revision notes done so I just need to revise and do Past Papers.. I have definitely left this too late.

Are you doing Rape of the Lock and Burial at Thebes?

Just remember when writing an essay for every point you make:
A01- communication
A02- dramatic method
A03- compare and contrast
A04- context/critics
Original post by NicolaM
Hey guys.
Just thought I'd say I have yet to start revising and for those who are currently revising, what do you predict to come up?
I'm studying 3 texts;
-King Lear
-Burial at Thebes
-Rape of the Lock

Just moved this to the English study help forum for you as it's more relevant :smile:
How are you getting on with revision? How are you actually revising, mine is going terribly.
Reply 5
Hey! I'm also doing King Lear and Burial at Thebes! I'm finding the past paper questions very tricky and it's taking me about 4 hours at the least to do practice essays :s-smilie: I literally have no idea how I'm going to manage it in an hour. I haven't learned any quotes yet as I'm focusing too much on learning my Spanish oral which I know is a bad idea but I think I'll learn about 10 quotes and hope to fit them in somehow :colondollar:I'm also finding integrating the context very tricky, I never know if I should be using context on greek tragedy or the troubles :rolleyes:
Original post by Zango11
Hey! I'm also doing King Lear and Burial at Thebes! I'm finding the past paper questions very tricky and it's taking me about 4 hours at the least to do practice essays :s-smilie: I literally have no idea how I'm going to manage it in an hour. I haven't learned any quotes yet as I'm focusing too much on learning my Spanish oral which I know is a bad idea but I think I'll learn about 10 quotes and hope to fit them in somehow :colondollar:I'm also finding integrating the context very tricky, I never know if I should be using context on greek tragedy or the troubles :rolleyes:

I find it difficult relating RELEVANT context.. like you could make a point and have context with it but it's it's not specific literary context for a literary question then it's not recognised :frown: I still have yet to revise quotes.

Are you doing Rape of the Lock? I'm struggling so badly with this. It's so repetitive you don't know if what you're writing is right or wrong :'(

Any predictions for KL/BOT?
Reply 7
Original post by NicolaM
I find it difficult relating RELEVANT context.. like you could make a point and have context with it but it's it's not specific literary context for a literary question then it's not recognised :frown: I still have yet to revise quotes.

Are you doing Rape of the Lock? I'm struggling so badly with this. It's so repetitive you don't know if what you're writing is right or wrong :'(

Yes! I totally agree, it's so hard to know if you're using the correct context or not:s-smilie: And the mark schemes for this are not at all helpful :rolleyes: How many quotes did you learn last year roughly? No, I'm doing The Pardoner's Tale but I'm finding it the most challenging aspect as I just don't understand how to do well in it :frown:
Are you doing the A2 2 exam as well?:smile:
Original post by Zango11
Yes! I totally agree, it's so hard to know if you're using the correct context or not:s-smilie: And the mark schemes for this are not at all helpful :rolleyes: How many quotes did you learn last year roughly? No, I'm doing The Pardoner's Tale but I'm finding it the most challenging aspect as I just don't understand how to do well in it :frown:
Are you doing the A2 2 exam as well?:smile:

No, I got an A in that one so don't need to repeat it.

Really really scared of what will come up. Hoping for tragic hero or gender..

How are you structuring your revision? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by NicolaM
No, I got an A in that one so don't need to repeat it.

Really really scared of what will come up. Hoping for tragic hero or gender..

How are you structuring your revision? :smile:

Ah that's so good! Well done :biggrin: Any tips for it? :smile: I'm doing the childhood question for it and Paddy Clarke but I think it should be the strongest for me as well as I quite like the Paddy Clarke questions and I have 6 days from my last A2 until it (the rest unfortunately are all together though:s-smilie: )

Tragic hero would be nice or something on tragic closure but I hope it's not a question that focuses on Antigone or Cordelia as I get confused with them:rolleyes:

For revision I think I will learn key quotes and practice finding similarities between the texts and maybe do a few practice essays. But I don't really have a revision structure :colondollar: How are you going to revise for this? :biggrin:
Original post by Zango11
Ah that's so good! Well done :biggrin: Any tips for it? :smile: I'm doing the childhood question for it and Paddy Clarke but I think it should be the strongest for me as well as I quite like the Paddy Clarke questions and I have 6 days from my last A2 until it (the rest unfortunately are all together though:s-smilie: )

Tragic hero would be nice or something on tragic closure but I hope it's not a question that focuses on Antigone or Cordelia as I get confused with them:rolleyes:

For revision I think I will learn key quotes and practice finding similarities between the texts and maybe do a few practice essays. But I don't really have a revision structure :colondollar: How are you going to revise for this? :biggrin:

I studied Jane Eyre, Wide Sargasso Sea and The Illusionist as my other A2 2 module. I think because I actually enjoyed this side of the module I wanted to learn about it so revision was easier. Again I just revised what I thought was going to come up in intense detail. I made sure I had a comparison (Ao3) for each point I made and basically that was it.

What do you get confused about? :smile:

I'm re-reading all my notes from last year and then just learning key things. I'm going to look at past papers to see reoccurring points :smile:

You? :biggrin:
Original post by NicolaM
I studied Jane Eyre, Wide Sargasso Sea and The Illusionist as my other A2 2 module. I think because I actually enjoyed this side of the module I wanted to learn about it so revision was easier. Again I just revised what I thought was going to come up in intense detail. I made sure I had a comparison (Ao3) for each point I made and basically that was it.

What do you get confused about? :smile:

I'm re-reading all my notes from last year and then just learning key things. I'm going to look at past papers to see reoccurring points :smile:

You? :biggrin:

Oh so AO3 is a big factor? That's good to know:smile:

I don't know I just find it hard to write about Antigone and Cordelia. Do you just write the same sort of thing for them as you would Creon/Lear? :s-smilie:

That's a good plan! I think I'm going to also learn key things and try to really learn what I think will come up. What do you think will come up this year?:biggrin:
Original post by Zango11
Oh so AO3 is a big factor? That's good to know:smile:

I don't know I just find it hard to write about Antigone and Cordelia. Do you just write the same sort of thing for them as you would Creon/Lear? :s-smilie:

That's a good plan! I think I'm going to also learn key things and try to really learn what I think will come up. What do you think will come up this year?:biggrin:

I think either tragic hero or a character comparison might come up for Lear/BOT.

I'm going to revise:
Tragic hero
Tragedy (Just to be safe, if I have time)
Gender Issues
Character comparison- Lear, Antigone, Cordelia, Creon, Haemon, Edmund, Gloucester.

You?
Original post by NicolaM
I think either tragic hero or a character comparison might come up for Lear/BOT.

I'm going to revise:
Tragic hero
Tragedy (Just to be safe, if I have time)
Gender Issues
Character comparison- Lear, Antigone, Cordelia, Creon, Haemon, Edmund, Gloucester.

You?

I think tragic hero might come up as well :smile: Although I hope a comparison comes up between Lear and Creon and not the others :s-smilie: Was last year's question about tragedy?
Original post by Zango11
I think tragic hero might come up as well :smile: Although I hope a comparison comes up between Lear and Creon and not the others :s-smilie: Was last year's question about tragedy?

I can't remember exactly what last years question was but something about tragedy and moral message. It was an awful paper. Hopefully they're nicer this time around.

What are you revising/what way are you revising? I need to set myself a structure.

I'm planning
-Context
-Quotes
-Criticis
-Themes- Family, Age, Gender etc.
-Comparisons
-Tragedy
-Hero
-Creon/Lear
-Ant/Cord
-Edumund
-Gloucester
-Haemon

Are you repeating AS2 English Lit also? :smile:
Original post by NicolaM
I can't remember exactly what last years question was but something about tragedy and moral message. It was an awful paper. Hopefully they're nicer this time around.

What are you revising/what way are you revising? I need to set myself a structure.

I'm planning
-Context
-Quotes
-Criticis
-Comparisons
-Tragedy
-Hero
-Creon/Lear
-Ant/Cord
-Edumund
-Gloucester
-Haemon

Oh that sounds like a rubbish paper :/ Hopefully it's nicer this year!

That sounds like a great plan, very extensive :smile: I haven't really got a structure going for this yet either as I'm cramming for my Spanish speakings which are also next week :frown: But I'm doing some essays that I'll get my teacher to mark and then I think I'll break it down into themes and character comparisons :smile: I'm also going to try and put important quotes on sticky notes tonight and try to memorise them :biggrin:

Yes I'm repeating the AS2 which will be torture haha but I have a week and a half to revise it after my final A2 so hopefully shouldn't be too bad! Are you repeating it?

Also, if the question is on tragedy do you just write about Lear/Creon or do you have to include all the characters? if that makes sense haha
Original post by NicolaM

You realise that the only context that will come up is NATURE OF TRAGEDY or TRAGIC HERO. Whatever is in the bold in the context they want.
Original post by NicolaM

I'm planning
-Context
-Quotes
-Criticis
-Comparisons
-Tragedy
-Hero
-Creon/Lear
-Ant/Cord
-Edumund
-Gloucester
-Haemon

I would advise you to not waste your time with edmund, gloucester of haemon. the question will only be on the 4 main characters of the two. critics also aren't necessary. make sure you're excellently versed in tragedy and tragic hero contexts.
Good luck!

PS If anyone wants the quotes i have compiled along with AO2 and a comment i'll send them if i know how to. First time using this site since like 4th year lol
Original post by andrewmcateer3700
You realise that the only context that will come up is NATURE OF TRAGEDY or TRAGIC HERO. Whatever is in the bold in the context they want.

What about literary, religious and social, political and biographical? Lol, you're making me question myself. These are what my teachers advised me to learn.

I double checked the mark scheme there now and it if it's a tragic hero question obviously the context is to based of the characteristics of a tragic hero and if it's a tragedy, then classical/shakespearean tragedy.

Maybe I'm confused haha!

Are you doing it this year? :smile:
Original post by andrewmcateer3700
I would advise you to not waste your time with edmund, gloucester of haemon. the question will only be on the 4 main characters of the two. critics also aren't necessary. make sure you're excellently versed in tragedy and tragic hero contexts.
Good luck!

PS If anyone wants the quotes i have compiled along with AO2 and a comment i'll send them if i know how to. First time using this site since like 4th year lol

Really? Would you just advise Lear/Creon, Antigone/Cordelia? I know critics aren't necessary but I prefer to have them.. just a personal preference showing you have read beyond the required texts.

If you've any revision notes, that would be great, yea :P

Are you doing Rape of the Lock...please say yes. I fall in this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending