The Student Room Group

Cambridge NatSci

Hi,
I intend to apply to Cambridge for biological sciences next year. Currently I am taking 3 sciences and single maths but the problem is I might want to switch to physical sciences when I start the course (computer science, chemistry etc.) If i do get an offer to study there, having stated on my SAQ that i want to do biological, will I be allowed to switch to physical before the course begins? Also, if i do physical sciences, on a course like computer science or perhaps biology of cells, will i be able to change course to a different one, like say computer science or medicine respectively? It says this but doesn't explain much about it on the Cambridge website, can someone explain this to me please.

Thank you

PS, would prefer a NatSci student at Cambridge to answer, but any useful info is appreciated
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Firestartc
Hi,
I intend to apply to Cambridge for biological sciences next year. Currently I am taking 3 sciences and single maths but the problem is I might want to switch to physical sciences when I start the course (computer science, chemistry etc.) If i do get an offer to study there, having stated on my SAQ that i want to do biological, will I be allowed to switch to physical before the course begins? Also, if i do physical sciences, on a course like computer science or perhaps biology of cells, will i be able to change course to a different one, like say computer science or medicine respectively? It says this but doesn't explain much about it on the Cambridge website, can someone explain this to me please.

Thank you

PS, would prefer a nasty student at Cambridge to answer, but any useful info is appreciated anyway

Just to say, you can't transfer to Medicine from another course.
Reply 2
PS, would prefer a nasty student at Cambridge to answer, but any useful info is appreciated anyway

Nasty. Harsh.

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

"NatSci" gets autocorrected to "nasty", LOLOLOLOLOXDXDDXD
Reply 4
Hi,

Thank you

PS, would prefer a NatSci student at Cambridge to answer, but any useful info is appreciated

You can take whatever modules you want regardless of what side you applied for as long as you have the prerequisite A levels (which you will have). And it is possible to change tripos, e.g. from Nat Sci to Comp Sci at the end of the first year, but this is conditional on your Director of Studies and College agreeing to it, so you typically have to do very well in your first year for this to be a realistic option. But as noted above transfers into medicine are not allowed.

(N.B. from somebody who has received an offer for Nat Sci this year and has researched just the questions which you asked)
Reply 5
Original post by lyranew
You can take whatever modules you want regardless of what side you applied for as long as you have the prerequisite A levels (which you will have). And it is possible to change tripos, e.g. from Nat Sci to Comp Sci at the end of the first year, but this is conditional on your Director of Studies and College agreeing to it, so you typically have to do very well in your first year for this to be a realistic option. But as noted above transfers into medicine are not allowed.

(N.B. from somebody who has received an offer for Nat Sci this year and has researched just the questions which you asked)

Thanks, so which courses can you transfer to and, will you be starting that course again from the first year?
Reply 6
Thanks, so which courses can you transfer to and, will you be starting that course again from the first year?

It's recommended you don't switch courses tbh, just apply for it directly. The CS tripos allows you to take a natsci subject in the first year for 25%. If you do well enough in the CS part of NatSci then that's a possible option. I believe you can do Chemical Engineering via NatSci as well, so that'd be switching to the Engineering tripos(?). You don't usually have to restart the year with either of these two options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending