The Student Room Group

Intensive Course or Multiple Lessons A Week Over 8 Weeks?

Hi,

So I finish college on the 12th June, and have two weeks from then to finish and hand in any work left. I'm 18 and from then on, around the start of July, I'd like to start to learn and pass my driving test by September when I plan to start working full time.

I'm not really someone who can or would be interested in doing one lesson a week over 6 months, I couldn't hold my focus that long! So doing it over summer would be perfect, but my question is, do you think I'd be better off doing an intensive 1 or 2 week course or three 2-hour lessons a week over the 8 week period?

Has anyone had any experience with the intensive courses and do you think they'd be suitable? I'm good at focusing at things very intensely for a short period of time and I'm a logical and capable thinker, who doesn't really get stressed or worried... so I don't think I'll struggle to much or need many more hours than the average with my learning to drive.

However, I'd love to hear peoples opinions and experiences as I'm 50/50 on which option to take... :smile: What do you think?
Reply 1
intensive courses = high probability of failing.

Personally id spread the lessons out, but it'll mean getting the theory sorted out fairly sharpish, and booking a test as soon as or before you start taking lessons, waiting times for tests running up to and including summer are a nightmare, when I took mine last year there was a 10 week wait, with very few cancellations cropping up.

But its not about focussing on things, a solid week of learning to drive will be hard, after a couple of hours you'll become drained, its mentally draining, regardless of what some might claim, driving is quite a skill to 'master' so to speak and is extremely exhausting to begin with, you probably don't realise how mentally draining it is, but it is, there's a reason most people take 90 minutes to 2 hour lessons :wink:

anybody can move a car from A to B, that's not the hard bit, its doing every other little thing that will fail you on a test. its about all these little bits becoming engrained, and it doesn't happen over night, it takes time for things to really take hold.
I did multiple lessons a week over about two months. I passed first time. Someone at college did an intensive week course thingy and passed first time but legend had it he was an appalling driver. Somebody had said it's just to get you passed or something and not much to do with actual experience. Although if it'll probably work out at the same amount of hours anyway :moon: I have no idea tbh :dontknow: I was just ear wigging :bigsmile:
I'm a terrible when it comes to parking. I mean really, really bad if there are loads of people around. :auto::auto::dance:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending