The Student Room Group

2016 Architecture entry

In the next few days I will be finalising my firm/insurance choices, and all that will be left is the small matter of getting the A level grades !

I thought it might be helpful to those who will be applying for 2016 from some advice as I have just gone through what you are about to go through.

1. Get some work experience, this is not only of benefit to you so that it gives you a flavour of what a real working practise is like, but will also be of benefit on your personal statement. Demand for work experience is very high, so apply as soon as you can.

2. Since no one will have studied architecture at school, its a brand new subject to everyone, so try and read some architecture books - advantages as above. There is a suggested reading list on the Cambridge website - http://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/admissions/applyingforba
I got a few of these books 2nd hand for a few £ on ebay. Some were interesting, some were boring, but worth a read.

3. Start on personal statement at the start of your summer holidays. There is loads of advice on TSR on personal statement, but my advice is
- start early
- plan all the things you want to include
- don't worry at the beginning on the word count
- reread and edit to get it more or less the word count
- get anyone you can think of who can help to read and advise you
- I won't tell you how many times I edited/revised mine, but it was a lot.
- Don't worry about trying to come up with a clever/unique opening sentence or quoting a clever line, it probably will come across cheesy.

4. Get a shortlist of about 10-15 universities you are interested. Use their websites, this forum etc to find out more about them. Consider league tables, but don't get too hung up about them.

5. Go to university open days - they will start in May or June, and for many of them you need to register your interest, so monitor their websites.

6. During the open days, speak not only to the undergraduates which the dept have chosen to help out, but also the other students who are in the dept when you wander around.

7. At the various open days, try and see what makes them different from other universities. Consider the facilities available, the working environment, the studio and the culture of the dept.

8. I applied early (October) in the hope that I would get early offers, in some cases, this was the case, but for one of my choices I had to wait over four months. If your PS is ready, if you know which universities you want to apply, then no reason why you shouldn't submit your applications to UCAS sooner rather than later.

9. Register early on to UCAS, even if you are not going to apply immediately, its just one more thing out of the way. You will need various registration details from your school/college.

10. Unless there is a really good reason, use up all 5 of your application choices. At the end of the day, you don't have to accept the offer if you change your mind, but why waste one or more of your choices. Do not bother applying to universities whose A level grade requirements are higher than you are likely to achieve.

11. Most universities ask for a portfolio which needs to be submitted on-line, you will know from their website. This is VERY time consuming to put together, so start thinking early on which items you want to included for different universities and start photographing and collating your portfolio. Preparing my portfolio for submission took me dozens of hours (see my portfolio somewhere on TSR).

12. Once you have submitted your UCAS application - be patient !!
Architecture gets an enormous number of applications and you are very unlikely to get an offer (or rejection !) in the first days/weeks, so try not to get into a habit of regularly checking for UCAS updates, you will just make yourself really anxious and get disappointed when there is nothing there. In any case you will get an email whenever you get an update on UCAS. As I mentioned earlier, one of my choices took 4 months to reply with an offer after I applied in October.

13.Find out from your school whether there has been anyone going to architecture in the last few years. If you can contact them, they will give you a great insight into what to expect.

13. Architecture is unlike most other university degrees, its not your usual academic subject so you will be judged on project work rather than exams. I've been told the work involves long hours and its stressful, but it has the benefit of great comradeship with your fellow architecture students, since you will spend the whole day (and sometimes the night) with them.

Best of luck to you all applying for 2016 and I hope this is helpful.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Just to let you know, first couple of weeks on the architecture course has been hard work and long hours (typical day in studio 10am-6pm) but enjoying it.

Good luck to everyone applying for 2016
Thank you so much :smile: This is really helpful!
Does anyone has any recommendation for artsy architecture course but still great in terms of job prospect?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blinkofaneyee
Does anyone has any recommendation for artsy architecture course but still great in terms of job prospect?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello again
The artsiest one that I know of is Bartlett (UCL), but it really is quite abstract, you either love it or hate it !
Reply 5
Thanks, that was really helpful.
Original post by AZ_97
Just to let you know, first couple of weeks on the architecture course has been hard work and long hours (typical day in studio 10am-6pm) but enjoying it.

Good luck to everyone applying for 2016

Hey there! I will be applying this year! Which universities did you apply to and which ones did you receive offers from? Also, what university have you firmed?
Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by TSRMatt
Hey there! I will be applying this year! Which universities did you apply to and which ones did you receive offers from? Also, what university have you firmed?
Thanks!

Hi, I applied to Bath, Sheffield, Nottingham, Cardiff and Cambridge. I got offers from all but Cambridge. I firmed Bath and have been happy there. Best of luck in your applications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending