The Student Room Group

What A levels needed to be a stock broker

My sister who is in year 10 wants to be a stock broker she is good at mathsand loves to be a stock broker as she has a business head and enjoys dealing with numbers and fincancial things. How to become one what gcses are needed what a levels what degree in uni is needed to become one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maria1812
My sister who is in year 10 wants to be a stock broker she is good at mathsand loves to be a stock broker as she has a business head and enjoys dealing with numbers and fincancial things. How to become one what gcses are needed what a levels what degree in uni is needed to become one.

I would advise taking Maths and Further Maths, the other 2 options can be a range, just dont pick 2 'soft subjects'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Ben4
I would advise taking Maths and Further Maths, the other 2 options can be a range, just dont pick 2 'soft subjects'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you perhaps Chemistry and Biology she may pick.
Thank you perhaps Chemistry and Biology she may pick.

That is a good choice, especially as she may change her mind and want to go down the medicine or science route :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the sixth form offers it business or economics might help

Posted from TSR Mobile
At A Level she should choose Maths and 3 out of [Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English Literature, French, Further Maths, Geography, German, History, Physics, Religious Studies, Spanish].

It is essential to study traditional subjects (listed above) because it is a competitive business to get a job in, and these subjects provide you with the right skills for the workplace.

Stay away from soft subjects that universites/employers will avoid, including [Applied (any subject), Business, English Language, Health & Social Care, Home Economics, ICT, Media Studies, PE, Psychology, Sociology, etc]

At University good courses include Economics and Maths, but it is still possible to get a job with a Geography or Law or Physics degree etc, especially if it's from a good university (in particular Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, Edinburgh, Warwick, Nottingham etc).

Good luck to your sister!
Reply 6
Original post by a320airbus97
At A Level she should choose Maths and 3 out of [Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English Literature, French, Further Maths, Geography, German, History, Physics, Religious Studies, Spanish].

It is essential to study traditional subjects (listed above) because it is a competitive business to get a job in, and these subjects provide you with the right skills for the workplace.

Stay away from soft subjects that universites/employers will avoid, including [Applied (any subject), Business, English Language, Health & Social Care, Home Economics, ICT, Media Studies, PE, Psychology, Sociology, etc]

At University good courses include Economics and Maths, but it is still possible to get a job with a Geography or Law or Physics degree etc, especially if it's from a good university (in particular Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, Edinburgh, Warwick, Nottingham etc).

Good luck to your sister!

Thank you so Maths,Business would be a good decision or economics but then it is better to also pick a subject or 2 if finding a job would be troubling and how easy is it to be a stock broker and get into the business I know you need money and stuff to buy stocks.
Reply 7

I asked this question for you to my brother who is in his 5th year of being a qualified stockbroker. He has worked in 3 different firms (central markets, Assendo & Guardian Brokers) and he stated that despite your sister's capability the sad truth is that her gender is what holds her back.

The finance industry is the most racist, sexist and conservative industry there is. Clients will refuse to take financial advice from a woman and as a result, they are almost never considered for the job by employers. My brother told me in his 5 years of going to the office he has never witnessed a female broker.
Reply 8
Original post by yilmaz33
I asked this question for you to my brother who is in his 5th year of being a qualified stockbroker. He has worked in 3 different firms (central markets, Assendo & Guardian Brokers) and he stated that despite your sister's capability the sad truth is that her gender is what holds her back.

The finance industry is the most racist, sexist and conservative industry there is. Clients will refuse to take financial advice from a woman and as a result, they are almost never considered for the job by employers. My brother told me in his 5 years of going to the office he has never witnessed a female broker.

Well we need to change that it will only remain like this if no one tries to do anything about it I will not let such things hold people back the first women docotr was about 170 years ago and if she was not the one to do it no one would someone needs to be brave and show those chauvanitsts that women too can get the job done.
Reply 9
Have you considered:

Maths + Further Maths + Economics + either Statistics or Government & Politics or Accounting

Quick Reply

Latest