The Student Room Group

What's harder- working full time or being a 'full time mummy'?

Is it just me, who is fed up to the teeth with 'full time mums' saying that they have the 'hardest job in the world', and 'I don't have a 9-5 job, I have a when I open my eyes to when I close my eyes job'?

Are these women for real? :rolleyes:

I am not denying that being a mum is important, and I'm sure it must be hard to deal with an infant or a toddler in a tantrum. But is it really harder than a full time job?

Is it even a job? Some mums think they did the world a favour by having kids. No one asked them to, it was their choice- if they didn't want kids there are many ways to prevent them.

For me, the hardest bit of working is getting up at 6, getting dressed and leaving the house for over 12 hours a day- sometimes leaving when it's dark in the morning, and returning when it's dark in the evening. If you are a stay at home mum, you don't even have to leave your house, or worry how you look. You don't have bosses breathing down your neck and evaluating your job performance.

These 'stay at home mums' seem to also believe themselves as 'better' than working mums. When a working mum gets home she also has to clean the house, cook dinner, bathe the kids and put them to bed. Why do stay at home mums think they do a much better job than the rest of them?

I think many working mums would rather stay at home with their children, but really, not many households can afford that. On another matter, I've found not many men are really keen on this mentality of women.

So is it really harder to be a 'stay at home mum' than work full time?

Scroll to see replies

I would say it depends entirely on the individual and what sort of full time job we're talking about, as naturally some jobs are harder than others. Some individuals may find working full time in a shop horrendously stressful, whilst others may think that it's a total breeze.

It also depends how many kids the 'full time mum' is looking after, what their temperament is and even how much money the family have to spend on activities. Have you ever tried to entertain little kids for days on end in exactly the same setting, with exactly the same toys/games?

I'm not a mum, nor do I work full time so I'm as far from biased as I can be. It's not possible to tar this with a single brush.
(edited 9 years ago)
There should be more females like you. :coma:
Original post by Mr Smurf
There should be more females like you. :coma:

Why?
Depends on the job but being a parent isn't easy. You could be a mother and make it easy by being a terrible one or you could make it harder by trying to raise the child perfectly. Honestly, some children are very difficult. With being a parent you actually have to care, can't really half ass it unless you're a moron. Children need attention constantly and they need to be taught.
Depends on what you define as hard. I'd go bat**** insane taking care of kids all day every day.
(edited 9 years ago)
Working full time is easier IMO. It's such hard work looking after a baby/young child all day.
Being a mother is definitely harder work.
They're both the same. I'd say mothers have it harder because there's no such thing as a break for them. You won't get a proper answer here because there aren't enough mothers to defend themselves. Mothers don't get enough credit. It's hard bringing up a child. It's incredibly time consuming. If you're doing it properly where you're taking your child to play centres and sessions suited to their development and actually doing things to encourage good development then it can be harder than a difficult job. A child is a project that lasts for decades. Work stays at work and is predictable. With children you can do all you can, yet still the outcomes are unpredictable so you don't know exactly what you're getting out of It. You don't get any time off, you don't even get sick days or annual leave or any of that bs. You don't get to home at the end of the day and leave your work at work - your child is your work as well as your home. They're around you as much as you're around you.

I nanny my nephew and have him from 9-6 on days I don't have uni (which is every single week day now that uni's finished) and it is a pain in the arse. I love him and I love doing it, but it is really hard because he's ALWAYS there wanting your attention, needing you to tend to every single need of his because he can't function on his own and he most certainly can't be left for a while for you to get back to when you feel like.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Why?

Because more than enough full time mums have the mentality that they are the saviours of the world, God's gift to the Earth and like OP says, are superior to women who are in full time employment.
Being a mum is easy
Original post by Blue_Mason
Being a mum is easy

Someone has clearly never had to look after a young child :rolleyes:

I baby-sat for my friend's baby for 2 hours and wanted to blow my brains out. It's even worse now she is 3, never stops crying. Doesn't understand reason, always wants attention.
Original post by SophieSmall
Someone has clearly never had to look after a young child :rolleyes:

I baby-sat for my friend's baby for 2 hours and wanted to blow my brains out. It's even worse now she is 3, never stops crying. Doesn't understand reason, always wants attention.

I know how to instil discipline and structure.
Once the child knows that you're in control, it is easy
Honestly it is not that hard to look after one child
Original post by *Dreaming*

I am not denying that being a mum is important

To whom? To themselves and the child only.

I suppose in terms of how hard it is, they're both hard. The difference is that working in a real job is actually necessary because people need products and services and the generation of cash flow fuels the economy. Having kids is necessary to keep the human race going but nowhere near to the extent people are having them now. The planet is already becoming overpopulated as it is, if anything we need less people having children.

I get that some people want to have kids and fair enough but it's not contributing anything of great value to anybody's world but their own.
I know how to instil discipline and structure.
Once the child knows that you're in control, it is easy
Honestly it is not that hard to look after one child

Yeah sure you do. Try instilling discipline to a new born or one year old, see how receptive they are.

Arguably it is much easier once the child reaches school age, but before that it can be very stressful if you have a difficult child. I was the polar positive to my sister as baby/toddler despite having the same upbringing, structure and discipline models from my mother. I was a very easy child, rarely cried and was fine entertaining myself. My sister on the other hand screamed for most of the day, couldn't or wouldn't sleep when put to bed ect.

It's not a one size fits all.

Maybe one day if you ever have children (hopefully you'll grow up by then) you'll realise that. But judging by your posts you'll expect your wife to look after the children....and then you won't even respect the difficulties she has to face because according to you "being a mum is easy" . :rolleyes:
Yeah sure you do. Try instilling discipline to a new born or one year old, see how receptive they are.

Arguably it is much easier once the child reaches school age, but before that it can be very stressful if you have a difficult child. I was the polar positive to my sister as baby/toddler despite having the same upbringing, structure and discipline models from my mother. I was a very easy child, rarely cried and was fine entertaining myself. My sister on the other hand screamed for most of the day, couldn't or wouldn't sleep when put to bed ect.

It's not a one size fits all.

Maybe one day if you ever have children (hopefully you'll grow up by then) you'll realise that. But judging by your posts you'll expect your wife to look after the children....and then you won't even respect the difficulties she has to face because according to you "being a mum is easy" . :rolleyes:

Yes as family tradition is a must.My wife is expected to look after my offspring whislt I am working.
I am not a fan of nanny's and she must fulfil her duties as a wife.
Mothers have it pretty easy now
Yes as family tradition is a must.My wife is expected to look after my offspring whislt I am working.
I am not a fan of nanny's and she must fulfil her duties as a wife.
Mothers have it pretty easy now

If that's how you want your family structure to be fair enough you have every right to want a traditional household personally. I just feel sorry for your future wife considering how little you respect the difficulties of being a mother.
If that's how you want your family structure to be fair enough you have every right to want a traditional household personally. I just feel sorry for your future wife considering how little you respect the difficulties of being a mother.

I have much respect, but at the same time it is not hard meeting work deadlines as working over time.
Like you said, when children reach toddler age they're easy to handle.
I believe that any woman would be happy to marry me and be the mother of my child
(edited 9 years ago)
I have much respect, but at the same time it is not hard meeting work deadlines as working over time.
Like you said, when children reach toddler age they're easy to handle.

but what about before they reach toddler age? Is it still piss easy then? And this is all assuming you don't have a child with any difficulties or medical problems which can make children much harder to look after.

Reply to your edit "I believe that any woman would be happy to marry me and be the mother of my child" I certainly wouldn't. But then again we share very different values and I don't want children at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
but what about before they reach toddler age? Is it still piss easy then? And this is all assuming you don't have a child with any difficulties or medical problems which can make children much harder to look after.

Reply to your edit "I believe that any woman would be happy to marry me and be the mother of my child" I certainly wouldn't. But then again we share very different values and I don't want children at all.

Opposites attract, my dear.:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending