The Student Room Group

English literature novels......!!!!!!!

For English Literature when I read the novels, what am I supposed to be doing to revise...E.g. Do I make notes on each chapter or just try to really understand the book/novella or do I note down key quotes and if so what sort of quote?????? I am studying The Woman In Black and Mr.Pip for AQA....Exams are in less than a month. Any advice will be appreciate- Thank you as I am really stressed about it as I want an A*S so I can do it at A level and even University....Xxx
Original post by Ajaipal
For English Literature when I read the novels, what am I supposed to be doing to revise...E.g. Do I make notes on each chapter or just try to really understand the book/novella or do I note down key quotes and if so what sort of quote?????? I am studying The Woman In Black and Mr.Pip for AQA....Exams are in less than a month. Any advice will be appreciate- Thank you as I am really stressed about it as I want an A*S so I can do it at A level and even University....Xxx

I haven't read Mr. Pip, however I have the former. I can't remember the exam structure, but you just need a handful of quotes. It's not necessary to make notes on all chapters, but it is advised, if you want an A*. You should just pull up quotes from the chapter that show certain theme and change in the novel. You don't need an A* at GCSE to do A-level English Lit and at Uni. Usually just need a B at English Lit A-level if you want to go to a tolerant university.
Original post by Ajaipal

Try looking at key themes (if you're not sure on these, try looking at what past papers' have asked questions about/look in a study guide) and then connect these themes to a quote or two. Unless the book is a closed book exam (i.e. you aren't allowed the text in the exam), you don't need to memorise any quotes; however it can help to have a good idea about what you're going to say if such a question comes up.

I would say it's also useful to have a look into the context in which the texts were written and try and link a couple of points to some themes (e.g. how were women presented in the text/how were they treated in the time the text was written?) This can really help you as it's often part of the mark scheme but also helps you to better understand the meaning of the text.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by thewishfulwriter
Try looking at key themes (if you're not sure on these, try looking at what past papers' have asked questions about/look in a study guide) and then connect these themes to a quote or two. Unless the book is a closed book exam (i.e. you aren't allowed the text in the exam), you don't need to memorise any quotes; however it can help to have a good idea about what you're going to say if such a question comes up.

I would say it's also useful to have a look into the context in which the texts were written and try and link a couple of points to some themes (e.g. how were women presented in the text/how were they treated in the time the text was written?) This can really help you as it's often part of the mark scheme but also helps you to better understand the meaning of the text.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you.!. XXX THAT s really helpful.

Quick Reply