The Student Room Group

English literature novels......!!!!!...........???? .....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For English Literature when I read the novels, what am I supposed to be doing to revise...E.g. Do I make notes on each chapter or just try to really understand the book/novella or do I note down key quotes and if so what sort of quote?????? I am studying The Woman In Black and Mr.Pip for AQA....Exams are in less than a month. Any advice will be appreciate- Thank you as I am really stressed about it as I want an A*S so I can do it at A level and even University....Xxx
Original post by Ajaipal
For English Literature when I read the novels, what am I supposed to be doing to revise...E.g. Do I make notes on each chapter or just try to really understand the book/novella or do I note down key quotes and if so what sort of quote?????? I am studying The Woman In Black and Mr.Pip for AQA....Exams are in less than a month. Any advice will be appreciate- Thank you as I am really stressed about it as I want an A*S so I can do it at A level and even University....Xxx

what exam board is it? can you access past papers? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
what exam board is it? can you access past papers? :smile:

AQA, Thanks! X
I am having the exact same problem except I'm doing OMAM with Edexcel. I did English Lit last year and managed to get an A* but that was different- there was poetry but we did have to study OMAM and Animal Farm for that. For the Animal Farm section I completely winged it as they gave us the extract in the exam so you just had to write about that. I did make sure I had read the book but there was really nothing else I could do. For the OMAM section we had to find our own part in the book to write about on a given topic like loneliness or something... I don't remmeber now. But what I did is make sure I read the book and when i was reading tried to find some interesting, "unique" points to make my answer more interesting. I think I wrote something about power doesn't make you happy because even Curley, who has power over the ranch workers, is lonely because he is not accepted by them. We see this as he constantly comes into the bunkhouse with the excuse of looking for his wife when really we wonder if he is just in search of acceptance from the ranch workers and his angry exterior is a front he puts up to hide his loneliness... I knew going into the exam that was the best point I had so I made sure, when reading the question options to pick a question that would allow me to use it. Good luck with your exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest