The Student Room Group

Could you survive on a food budget of £19.40 a week

I easily could, Tbh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My groceries are around that range actually!
It depends on where you live and what shops are in your area, but yeah I could - and indeed I used to. These days though I usually go for the more premium items and pay about £25 a week for my food.
Reply 3
Could do and I have done but I wouldn't want to.

I'm budgeting around £40 per week on groceries, will likely spend a little less than that but then I can buy some nice things, like fruit & veg etc.
My brother is a student and spends around £10 a week, although his diet is quite bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897
My brother is a student and spends around £10 a week, although his diet is quite bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does he eat? Because I find it hard to believe someone could survive healthily on that little food.
nutella and bread be life
thats more than enough
Easily, that's way more than I used to spend/have
Reply 9
Mine comes to around £17 and I eat a lot.
Original post by Keyhofi
What does he eat? Because I find it hard to believe someone could survive healthily on that little food.

He doesn't eat healthily. He'll have the same food all week and it's mostly just carbs - he's had weeks of pasta and pesto, pancakes, stuffed Yorkshire puddings, pasties.... so it's cheap, but pretty grim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends where you shop, your diet, what you buy, etc.

Some people could seriously reduce what they spend if they changed their diet. Eating out and those lame ass supermarket lunch deals burn money and put on calories too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
yes.. I could

No I would not like to.

At university I did this.. and less sometimes. - its easily possible.

But its not a great way to live in general, and I eat so much better now I have more money..

Main difference to be hoenst is meat.

When I was living on less then £20 a week, meat really is hard to come by.. and is the main sacrfice..

Now though I can get a lovely peice of meat for each night, some for my lunches etc. and its just lovely
Boneless chicken £4/kg
Potato 1.5kg for £2 (or 20kg or something for £7 in the market)
Mixed veg 1kg for £1
Onions 1 medium about £3 or something
Eggs 30 for £3
Butter £1
Flour 1kg 50p
Salt £1
Any money left over can go on chicken or other meats or spices even

:borat:
Reply 14
Hmmm

Kale - probably go through 3 bags - £2.77
Olive oil - £3 - (last three weeks)
Chicken - £13 - 2kg chicken breasts

(+ protein powder ) - got tons of it

If youre one a budget and wanted to save even more money - just buy reduced stuff
(edited 8 years ago)
easily, theres two of us and never go over £20 per person. however, we re across the road from a lidl and its the only supermarket we use
Original post by naxiv
Hmmm

Kale - probably go through 3 bags - £2.77
Olive oil - £3 - (last three weeks)
Chicken - £13 - 2kg chicken breasts

(+ protein powder ) - got tons of it

If youre one a budget and wanted to save even more money - just buy reduced stuff

Buying whole chickens and cutting them up abd freezing them is cheaper
Easily, anyone who can't is either fussy, can't cook or has very specific dietary needs.
Reply 18
Original post by datpiff
Buying whole chickens and cutting them up abd freezing them is cheaper

Yeah true but chicken breasts is higher in protein and easier to cook
Tbh, it's easy just get basics i.e Veg/Fruit from discount stores. Then cook and make basic meals like Pasta etc

Quick Reply

Latest