The Student Room Group

5 best UK universities? (Excluding Oxbridge)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
LSE
Imperial
Durham
UCL
St. Andrews
Warwick is hardly top 5
Original post by Broscientist

The facts indicate that it is recovering.

Which is what I said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Warwick is hardly top 5

did you get rejected by them? fair enough, name me five above it outside oxbridge?
Original post by Princepieman
Mate, in: Law, Econ, Med, Vet Med, maybe Physics it's true. I feel sorry for your substandard reading comprehension skills, so bloody sorry.

And I feel so bloody sorry for your amount of delusion.

Medicine and Vet med is pretty much the same everywhere so I'm ignoring those two subjects.

Law: Durham; 559. Bristol; 486. Warwick; 505. Nottingham; 491.
Economics: Durham; 562. Bristol; 504. Warwick; 567. Nottingham; 506.
Physics: Durham; 621. Bristol; 486. Warwick; 551. Nottingham; 502.

Nottingham's standard of applicants are better than Bristol's but only Bristol's (only very marginally at that). Just look at Physics, Durham's applicants have a whole 119 UCAS points more than Nottingham's - that's the equivalent of another A at A Level. The standard of applicant at Nottingham is not the same at Durham/Warwick. Nottingham is nowhere near a contender for the top 5 universities outside of Oxbridge whereas Durham/Warwick are.

It's a bit pathetic how you're attempting so hard to latch Nottingham to superior universities - does someone have an inferiority complex about their university? :frown::frown::frown:
For me In no particular order:

Exeter
Lse
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Original post by Okorange
Edinburgh should be higher than that or Nottingham should be lower. Edinburgh > Nottingham in nearly every stat you can care to discuss.

The list would be more acceptable if Nottingham was replaced with Bristol.

No.

Nottingham produces more MC law firm grads, more IB grads, more CEOs of the top companies and has more of the Top 100 graduate employers recruiting at career fairs despite Edinburgh being larger.

You're naive if you think "Edinburgh > Nottingham in nearly every stat", because when you look at stats that matter in the real world, you'd find that the difference is negligible.

Edinburgh is great and does have higher research power according to the REF. But, Notts came 8th, above Bristol, and sends a similar amount to MC law and IB. The reason I use these careers is because very little else cares more about university reputation, so if your uni fares well there (with the exception of Bath and ICL in law), it's reasonable to say that employers view them as quality institutions.

I'm more inclined to believe quantitative evidence than your opinion.
Original post by C_Richards99

Medicine and Vet med is pretty much the same everywhere so I'm ignoring those two subjects.

Nottingham's standard of applicants are better than Bristol's but only Bristol's (only very marginally at that). Just look at Physics, Durham's applicants have a whole 119 UCAS points more than Nottingham's - that's the equivalent of another A at A Level. The standard of applicant at Nottingham is not the same at Durham/Warwick. Nottingham is nowhere near a contender for the top 5 universities outside of Oxbridge whereas Durham/Warwick are.

It's a bit pathetic how you're attempting so hard to latch Nottingham to superior universities - does someone have an inferiority complex about their university? :frown::frown::frown:

This is just sad now.. You choose one subject and extrapolate that it's somehow better. Nice.

I just can't be bothered anymore mate, the difference between these unis in the aforementioned subjects is pretty marginal (apart from the Durham v Notts in physics comparison) and stating that they are 'much better' is so beyond idiotic.

Good luck with life and your obsession over what is, basically, equivalent to a lead of your unerect phallus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C_Richards99

you have to read what he is saying better. FOR NOTTS BEST COURSES HE SAID, they easily compete with warwick, he is 100% RIGHT. where did he say overall or all of notts?
I would not say Nottingham is top 5 after Oxbridge, but a solid top 15 overall. No need to insult people if they do not agree with you, though. Does not change the fact that Durham is overrated though.

Do you think Durham is overrated? Why is that? The reason why I didn't apply for Durham was that it was too far from me.
I would not say Nottingham is top 5 after Oxbridge, but a solid top 15 overall. No need to insult people if they do not agree with you, though. Does not change the fact that Durham is overrated though.

durhams excellent

You're acting as if I am the one who made the first insult.

Original post by welcometoib
you have to read what he is saying better. FOR NOTTS BEST COURSES HE SAID, they easily compete with warwick, he is 100% RIGHT. where did he say overall or all of notts?

Yes, for Nott's better courses he said the standard of applicants is the same - which is wrong. I've never mentioned overall, I have only looked at the specific courses that he mentioned and compared to them against the universities he claimed Nottingham was the same as.

Original post by Princepieman
This is just sad now.. You choose one subject and extrapolate that it's somehow better. Nice.

I just can't be bothered anymore mate, the difference between these unis in the aforementioned subjects is pretty marginal (apart from the Durham v Notts in physics comparison) and stating that they are 'much better' is so beyond idiotic.

Good luck with life and your obsession over what is, basically, equivalent to a lead of your unerect phallus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I chose that one because the difference is the greatest. Otherwise, for other subjects with the difference between Law at Warwick and Nottingham being the closest - the difference is significantly greater between Nottingham and Durham/Warwick, 60-70 points difference is not marginal. That is the same as saying that the standard of applicants at Nottingham is the same as Keele/Reading/Robert Gordon.

Next time, have some evidence to back up your claims before you act all whiny and pissy that someone has proven you wrong :biggrin:
Original post by Exceptional
No.

Nottingham produces more MC law firm grads, more IB grads, more CEOs of the top companies and has more of the Top 100 graduate employers recruiting at career fairs despite Edinburgh being larger.

You're naive if you think "Edinburgh > Nottingham in nearly every stat", because when you look at stats that matter in the real world, you'd find that the difference is negligible.

Edinburgh is great and does have higher research power according to the REF. But, Notts came 8th, above Bristol, and sends a similar amount to MC law and IB. The reason I use these careers is because very little else cares more about university reputation, so if your uni fares well there (with the exception of Bath and ICL in law), it's reasonable to say that employers view them as quality institutions.

I'm more inclined to believe quantitative evidence than your opinion.

Edinburgh is ranked significantly higher in the world rankings (17th in QS), does better on research REF rankings as you mentioned, does better in the UK league tables, has a higher entry tariff, has a much larger and much more famous alumni body, much higher endowment, is significantly older, has a much larger reputation abroad based on the university's prestige as well as the city itself, it is ranked 18th in the world by employers according to THE, much higher than Notts. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/global-employability-university-ranking-2013/2008497.article (2013 Edinburgh was 15th) You said that Edinburgh is a larger uni but actually they are a similar size, Notts 22k UG 13k PG, Edin 21k UG 11k PG

In nearly every subject Edinburgh is a better uni than Nottingham.

The only reason Edin doesn't produce as many law grads in MC is because its a Scottish Law school, it doesn't teach English law (you would need essentially a 4 year course + 1 year conversion vs 3 years at a English law school) and as a result isn't a very attractive option for those wanting to do law in London where MC is based. On the flip side its a top 2 law school in Scotland. It does well where its based in law and produces most of Scotland's top judges and the 3rd highest number of judges on the supreme court out of any UK uni.

http://www.scottishlegal.com/2015/04/24/law-graduates-from-uks-top-universities-can-expect-six-figures-salaries-after-ten-years/

Look at these stats, after 10 years Edinburgh Law was ranked 3rd in grad earnings after Cambridge, LSE and ahead of Oxford.

The only thing Notts has over Edin is the fact that it has more recruiters on campus in the UK. That is it really. Worldwide employer reputation rankings all show Edin to be more recognizable than Notts. Nearly every ranking shows Edin > Notts and on all the hard stats including traditional factors of prestige like alumni, age, research income, endowment, nobel prizes, supreme court justices, prime ministers, scientists Edinburgh wins. Edinburgh does produce more CEOs if you look at the alumni lists, but if you have evidence that Nottingham produces more I am willing to change my opinion on that issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
whats the best for psychology? i heard readings pretty good?
Original post by scrawlx101
whats the best for psychology? i heard readings pretty good?

Probs Bath. But in my opinion, you should go for the top 5 at first, and then choose whats the best out of those for your course. Good luck!
Original post by JakeyKakey
Well how else are you going to argue one is better than the other if you've experienced neither?

The league tables are an unreliable load of *******s for reasons which have been repeatedly and thoroughly discussed on this site.

Being at one uni at least makes it a lot easier to cross-reference with the other.

Meanwhile people on this site couldn't make a credible argument for comparing KCL to Durham and those two are a good twenty league places apart.

My Physics teacher got into Durham 10 years ago with BBC for Physics.
Is Sussex good for psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edinburgh is ranked significantly higher in the world rankings (17th in QS), does better on research REF rankings as you mentioned, does better in the UK league tables, has a much larger and much more famous alumni body, much higher endowment, is significantly older, has a much larger reputation abroad based on the university's prestige as well as the city itself, it is ranked 18th in the world by employers according to THE, much higher than Notts.

The only reason Edin doesn't produce as many law grads is because its a Scottish Law school, it doesn't teach English law (you would need essentially a 4 year course + 1 year conversion vs 3 years at a English law school) and as a result isn't a very attractive option for those wanting to do law in London where MC is based. On the flip side its a top 2 law school in Scotland. It does well where its based in law and produces most of Scotland's top judges and the 3rd highest number of judges on the supreme court.

The only thing Notts has over Edin is the fact that it has more recruiters on campus in the UK. That is it really. Worldwide employer reputation rankings all show Edin to be more recognizable than Notts. Nearly every ranking shows Edin > Notts and on all the hard stats including traditional factors of prestige like alumni, age, research income, endowment, nobel prizes, supreme court justices, prime ministers, scientists Edinburgh wins.

UK league tables are pretty much *******s, which is reflected not just with Nottingham but also Edinburgh - they're both ranked lower than they should be. It has more famous alumni because it's older and most of its notable people such as Darwin and Adam Smith were around when Nottingham wasn't. That's due to its age, not its reputation. You say it's significantly older, but that doesn't make it better. Take Warwick for instance - much younger but stronger in many subjects.

I wouldn't say the fact that it's Scots Law makes a difference because Notts produces more graduates as an overall institution than Edinburgh regardless of their degree - the measures used don't take into consideration whether or not they studied Law because it's irrelevant.

I will accept that Edinburgh is higher in the QS and THE rankings. Nottingham still fares well on a global scale in terms of its reputation amongst employers - ranked 45th in the Global Employability Survey and top 10 in the UK, above Bristol. Nottingham is still much higher than Edinburgh in terms of CEOs it produces of top companies - 13th in the world.

Therefore, when you weigh up the pros and cons of Notts and Edinburgh, it's impossible to say that "X is better than Y" because it depends on what measures you go by. That's why, in my opinion, based on actual quantitative evidence, I placed them in the same tier on the list you criticised.

Manchester is ranked much higher than Warwick or Durham internationally and by the REF and by Nobel Laureates and other measures yet you weren't quick to point that out because you agree that the perception surrounding Manchester is that it isn't quite as strong as an overall institution.

As a result your point is redundant in saying that Edinburgh is better than Nottingham because international rankings place it higher.
Edinburgh is ranked significantly higher in the world rankings (17th in QS), does better on research REF rankings as you mentioned, does better in the UK league tables, has a higher entry tariff, has a much larger and much more famous alumni body, much higher endowment, is significantly older, has a much larger reputation abroad based on the university's prestige as well as the city itself, it is ranked 18th in the world by employers according to THE, much higher than Notts. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/global-employability-university-ranking-2013/2008497.article (2013 Edinburgh was 15th) You said that Edinburgh is a larger uni but actually they are a similar size, Notts 22k UG 13k PG, Edin 21k UG 11k PG

The only reason Edin doesn't produce as many law grads in MC is because its a Scottish Law school, it doesn't teach English law (you would need essentially a 4 year course + 1 year conversion vs 3 years at a English law school) and as a result isn't a very attractive option for those wanting to do law in London where MC is based. On the flip side its a top 2 law school in Scotland. It does well where its based in law and produces most of Scotland's top judges and the 3rd highest number of judges on the supreme court out of any UK uni.

http://www.scottishlegal.com/2015/04/24/law-graduates-from-uks-top-universities-can-expect-six-figures-salaries-after-ten-years/

Look at these stats, after 10 years Edinburgh Law was ranked 3rd in grad earnings after Cambridge, LSE and ahead of Oxford.

The only thing Notts has over Edin is the fact that it has more recruiters on campus in the UK. That is it really. Worldwide employer reputation rankings all show Edin to be more recognizable than Notts. Nearly every ranking shows Edin > Notts and on all the hard stats including traditional factors of prestige like alumni, age, research income, endowment, nobel prizes, supreme court justices, prime ministers, scientists Edinburgh wins. Edinburgh does produce more CEOs if you look at the alumni lists, but if you have evidence that Nottingham produces more I am willing to change my opinion on that issue.

having a higher level of recruiters on campus is a very big thing, that's the reason most people choose a certain university surely, to increase their chances of having a great job after it?

Quick Reply

Latest