The Student Room Group

5 best UK universities? (Excluding Oxbridge)

In your opinion, what are the top five unis after Oxbridge? (In order or not)

Scroll to see replies

UCL
ICL
Durham
LSE
St Andrews.

I don't think there's a definitive list, it's too difficult to judge on the criteria and too open to bias to really decide completely so opinion is really all you're going to get ever with this.
(edited 9 years ago)
We already have a top 10 that is pretty much agreed on... I would probably go with the above poster's choices though.
Original post by a96clark

Oxford Brookes (has Oxford in its name so automatically first amirite?)
University of Bolton
Westminister
Sheffield Hallam
Bradford
I would go with:

LSE
Imperial
UCL
Edinburgh
KCL

They are mainly the best for research, attract the most money from government, have the highest income, starting salaries, the highest endowment and they produce the best alumni bar Oxbridge.
East London
London Met
Bolton
Anglia Ruskin
LSE
from the sarcastic rankings to the gifs ....i;ve gotta say i'm loving this thread
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. Durham
6. Warwick
7. Edinburgh
Imperial
LSE
UCL
Durham
Nottingham (:ahee: Not biased or anything)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Imperial
LSE
UCL
Durham
Nottingham (:ahee: Not biased or anything)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dw nott's is up there LOLOLOL. Somewhere :smile:
Reply 10
Another ranking thread. :rolleyes:
Subject specific, too hard to rank overall when you've got unis like LSE and Imperial which only focus on certain areas. That being said it'll look something like:

Imperial
LSE
UCL

Then pick two from below:

Warwick
Durham
St Andrews
Edinburgh

This is my opinion as somebody who doesn't know much about Scottish unis, I'm not sure what the criteria for 'best' is so I'm assuming prestige, though that's a sad reflection on our society in itself. It's subjective and, no matter what league tables whores might try to argue, isn't quantifiable.
Reply 12
Personally, I think that the value of a university should be judged based on research output and the quality of the courses offered, either in general or for whatever subject you are specifically interested in. Starting salaries are dependent on whether the subjects offered at the university are in demand in the jobs market which has nothing to do with the university itself; also, grade requirements are a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy - the grade requirements are high so only the best can get it, and so only the best people go there, everyone sees it as a place where only the best people can get into and et voila - prestige (I know there is more to it than this, but I do think I raise a valid point).
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Who cares what your opinion or ranking is. You are in SIXTH FORM and you have never been to UNI, let alone, studied in the TOP TWENTY. Your opinion and views don't mean anything to TSR members, because, obviously, you do not know what you are talking about.

There. Fixed for 95% of TSR.
Reply 14
Original post by JakeyKakey
There. Fixed for 95% of TSR.

Why do you need to have been to uni to know which unis are the best? What an absurd claim
Imperial, LSE, Durham, Warwick, Bath/Bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imperial, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, UCL.

Imperial
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Durham
Why do you need to have been to uni to know which unis are the best? What an absurd claim

Well how else are you going to argue one is better than the other if you've experienced neither?

The league tables are an unreliable load of *******s for reasons which have been repeatedly and thoroughly discussed on this site.

Being at one uni at least makes it a lot easier to cross-reference with the other.

Meanwhile people on this site couldn't make a credible argument for comparing KCL to Durham and those two are a good twenty league places apart.
UCL/ICL/LSE/Warwick/St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending