The Student Room Group

university degree in law,but where?

My ambition is to study law, but it requires high entry requirements for example:AAB, are my a level subjects suitable:h:istory,Politics,Philosophy and Ethics and sociology? Which unis are the best to study law at? Is city London any good? and if I do not attend a Russell Group University is it less likely I will get good graduate employment afterwards?
I took history and politics at A-level and I study law at undergraduate level currently. They are good a-levels to have. I also study with some sociology students so i know thats popular among future lawyers. I know that an english subject is also useful but not essential. As to your university choice, teaching and employability is important and there are statistics published online about this for each institution. However you also need to have an idea whether you hope to be a solicitor or barrister or something else. When i looked for universities I decided on northumbria university purely because I knew which legal career path I wanted to take. I want to be a barrister and northumbria university is the only one in th uk which offers the BPTC (the academic part of the barrister qualification) as part of its undergraduate course. This is not only extremely useful and time-saving but it also saves you money. On average the BPTC done after university (the usual way people do it) costs £16,000 minimum and this is usually covered by you having to take out a loan with a bank. However, if you study it as part of your degree, it only costs what your usual university fees are (currently £8500/£9000 per year) and this is covered by student loans which is a big plus as it means you accrue no interest. As a side note, northumbria also offer a similar route to this for those wishing to practice as solicitors but i think there are a few that do this. My advice would be to think about the long term as well as the short term. Most people who get into law tend to stay in the area in which they obtained their degree due to networking connections developed throughout their studies, which are very important for lawyers (its sometimes not what you know but who you know that matters). Make sure you like your university and the area its in. Don't underestimate the feeling you get on university open days (which are a must!). With me, once I visited northumbria I knew it was the right one :smile:
Reply 2
I recommend Scottish universities: Glasgow; Strathclyde; Edinburgh; and Aberdeen are all very good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending