The Student Room Group

It costs more to eat healthily than it does to eat ****

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zedeneye1
cost break down please.

Not sure but that looks like fish to me, depending on what type you can buy several fillets for a couple of quid fresh or buy more in a frozen bag. Not sure if they're flat noodles or flat pasta but either way can get them cheap. And the veg of; peppers, onions and broccoli also very cheap. And she likely has quite a few ingredients left over.

Also I Made veg soup last night, and because some of the ingredients I used would only be useful (for me) in making veg soup. I chopped up the remaining ingredients that would have gone off otherwise, and made a veg soup mix to freeze. So next time I want to make veg soup I can just get the veg out the freezer and stick it on. All in all my veg soup cost less than £5 to make. Each pot has about 6 portions and I have enough ingredients left over to make another soup. So 12 portions altogether for a fiver, not bad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by redferry
Fineley chopped mushrooms make a good substitute I find (I'm a recent veggie so had to work through these things). I'm not a big fan of quorn either tbh.

I must be one of few but I absolutely LOVE qourn "chicken" yummm. Never buy it though because it's always seemed way more expensive than actual chicken. (I'm not a vegetarian :tongue: )
Original post by redferry
Fineley chopped mushrooms make a good substitute I find (I'm a recent veggie so had to work through these things). I'm not a big fan of quorn either tbh.

Bulgar wheat is great for bulking things like that out and adding a bit of carbohydrate too. I just use that plus extra veg and it's all good.
Original post by Lady Comstock
What a bizarre system we have going on here. The government and its medico-experts are determined that we are to eat healthily and lose weight.

But we're in the situation where healthy foods seem to cost a lot more than **** foods.

For those of us who don't have the benefit of a middle-class farmer's market, a tiny pack of raspberries costs £2 from Tescos; grapes £2 again; strawberries even more. Packets of green veg costs a fortune: £2 for a few green beans.

Yet, the **** junk food is either always on offer or dirt cheap.

How can the government expect us to eat healthily when healthy food is way overpriced?

The government will give out pills but not food. Presumably because they make money out of the pills but not out of food.
Original post by frankieboy
The other misconception is that meat from a butchers for example, is more expensive than meat from the supermarkets. If you've not noticed the shrinkage difference when cooked, you need to pay more attention. It's about the value you get on the plate, not in the packet. Butchers sausages work out very cheap, I've found because they don't shrink.

See people doing this all the time. And not only is it cheaper it's also much better quality.

Supermarkets be scamming y'all.
Original post by aberdaber
The government will give out pills but not food. Presumably because they make money out of the pills but not out of food.

Just what?

The government subsidise medication through taxes (and possible other means) because for the most part medication is necessary. And can become unaffordable for some people to keep up with paying for their medications (full price) on their own.

It's not the same as someone just being too lazy to cook proper food and so instead eats junk and claims it's because it's "cheaper". No it's just more convenient and people are lazy.
It's not the government's fault if you are either too lazy or too much of a dunce to cook healthy, cheap food. Some people need to take responsibility of their lives
Original post by SophieSmall
I must be one of few but I absolutely LOVE qourn "chicken" yummm. Never buy it though because it's always seemed way more expensive than actual chicken. (I'm not a vegetarian :tongue: )

Other than Linda McCartney sausages I'm not a fan of meat substitutes
Original post by e aí rapaz
Bulgar wheat is great for bulking things like that out and adding a bit of carbohydrate too. I just use that plus extra veg and it's all good.

Yeah I've always thought the one thing pasta was missing was extra carbs :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest