The Student Room Group

It costs more to eat healthily than it does to eat ****

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joshale
? this is probably the most ridiculous comment I've read all day, and believe me there's been some.

Diet is around 70% of achieving a good body, or even staying 'healthy'

Of course, but working out and keeping active can easily help balance out even the most horrendous diet.

Simply doing hard workouts can yield decent results alone, coupled with a healthy and balanced diet your on your way to being an athlete!
Original post by SophieSmall
To be fair he did say "providing they eat less".

so let's say instead of 5 big mac's a day, someone has 3 big mac's a day, probably see improvements in term of health, but would still have problems and still wouldn't be looking healthy/good body
Original post by Joshale
I'm sure if I compared my healthy eating plan with someone who eat's a junk food plan, they'd have more money in the wallet afterwards. Which is pretty sickening when you think about it.

I don't know what your healthy eating plan is so it could be. But there are almost always substitutions or alternatives you can make to make cooking cheaper. Such as batch cooking and freezing things to be eaten at a later date. Or replacing the premium canned kidney beans for the basic range kidney beans than only cost 19p a can.

Also this is also all under the assumption (that I have made anyway) that the people calming eating crap is cheaper are eating 3 meals a day at least and possibly snacking. Because obviously starving yourself is cheaper than eating healthy.
Original post by Lemon Haze
Of course, but working out and keeping active can easily help balance out even the most horrendous diet.

Simply doing hard workouts can yield decent results alone, coupled with a healthy and balanced diet your on your way to being an athlete!

No, my uncle does a lot of running, compete's in 5km/10km and runs and swims everyday but he's still got a pot belly because he still eat's a lot of junkfood
Original post by Joshale
so let's say instead of 5 big mac's a day, someone has 3 big mac's a day, probably see improvements in term of health, but would still have problems and still wouldn't be looking healthy/good body

http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158
As someone who has always eaten pretty cheaply/unhealthily and never been to the gym because of the excuse that good food and gyms are expensive. My financial situation hasn't changed, but I now eat healthily 24/7 and go to the gym everyday.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND MAN UP.

:rolleyes:
Original post by Joshale

True, but he only said if you're trying to loose weight. I don't think he was claiming you could eat crap and be healthy, just that you could eat crap and still lose weight . Though it would be unhealthy to loose weight on that diet because of lack of varied diet you could still loose weight provided you're eating at a calorie deficit.

edit: ugh sick of having to edit all the time because half my laptop keys don't work :frown:sorry for any future typos.
Well mac and cheese is just pasta in a bechamel sauce. So you can buy a bag of pasta for like 40p and you can buy jars of bechamel sauce for less than £1. And from that you can get 2 or 3 servings. So works out less than 70p a serving.

Not exactly a great meal to be having often though

The original poster said healthy. You just provided an alternative method of making the same unhealthy **** with fewer chemicals and preservatives.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Joshale
I'm sure if I compared my healthy eating plan with someone who eat's a junk food plan, they'd have more money in the wallet afterwards. Which is pretty sickening when you think about it.

Probably but those people who buy ready meals/cheap unhealthy **** probably spend a good £20 a week on takeaways, so maybe if they cut that they could use that money to buy healthy food instead. It's all about the lifestyle choices people want to make.
Original post by So Instinct
A bag of pasta for 40p? What century are you shopping in?

Regardless, the original poster said healthy. You just provided an alternative method of making the same **** with fewer chemicals and preservatives.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=251477765

granted it's not the best pasta in the world and it's not wholegrain but it's pasta. And it's no worse than the more expensive bag of tesco pasta, it just has less pretty packaging.

Yes that was the original post intention but I was just responding to the poster who was talking about mac and cheese, and I have already said in a later post that yes that isn't healthy and I personally wouldn't eat it. But that particular commenter asked if it was possible to make a meal (I chose the meal he said) for less than 70p and it is. :rolleyes:
The start up costs are always going to be more expensive when you are cooking properly, so no matter what answer I give you you are still going to claim your readymeal is cheaper than my ingredients. It's only over time cooking becomes cheaper , when you have your ingredients and you're making the most out of them. Like I can make several meals (probably up to 5 or 6 meals out of a whole chicken that costs £4, and I can make soup from the last bits of chicken that can last for a few days or be frozen for batch meals.

Ahh as I thought you're picky :rolleyes:
There is nothing wrong with low range supermarket stuff like basic kidney beans or chopped tomatoes. And it's certainly no worse than just eating ready meals so that's an awful excuse.

As for most people not having access to those things or similar alternatives, that is just complete nonsense. People are just too lazy to look for them and so pick up a back of biscuits instead. Because let's face it it's easier to stuff biscuits in your face then get off your arse and cook. :rolleyes:

What about the busy working Briton? They do not have time to find the ingredients that Jack does. With little more than a Tesco Express and Sainsbury's Local, they won't have many other options than to buy the expensive chicken fillets and veg.

What about the snacks? Grapes for £2 compared with two chocolate bars for 50p? How do ya explain that one? smh
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=251477765

granted it's not the best pasta in the world and it's not wholegrain but it's pasta. And it's no worse than the more expensive bag of tesco pasta, it just has less pretty packaging.

Yes that was the original post intention but I was just responding to the poster who was talking about mac and cheese, and I have already said in a later post that yes that isn't healthy and I personally wouldn't eat it. But that particular commenter asked if it was possible to make a meal (I chose the meal he said) for less than 70p and it is. :rolleyes:

Yeah I googled pasta and found it, madness so fair point to you.

Still though, it adds nothing to the idea of eating healthy which is probably and underlying point of the person you quoted.
Original post by Lady Comstock
What about the busy working Briton? They do not have time to find the ingredients that Jack does. With little more than a Tesco Express and Sainsbury's Local, they won't have many other options than to buy the expensive chicken fillets and veg.

What about the snacks? Grapes for £2 compared with two chocolate bars for 50p? How do ya explain that one? smh

More excuses. My single mum who worked full time as well as looking after her kids managed to shop and cook healthy meals every day. No excuse.

Again grapes and berries aren't the only fruit. You can get a bag of apples or a bag of pears. http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=284475319 here you go, why don't you have a pear much cheaper.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SmashConcept
Can confirm, 100% of local markets don't let you in without a middle-class person card.

:lol:
If people stop spending money on **** like takeaways then they'd be able to spend a little more in Tescos.

*Edit: Or ALDI, I save SO much by shopping in Aldi:smile: so so cheap :tongue:

Just saying:rolleyes:
Original post by Lady Comstock
What a bizarre system we have going on here. The government and its medico-experts are determined that we are to eat healthily and lose weight.

But we're in the situation where healthy foods seem to cost a lot more than **** foods.

For those of us who don't have the benefit of a middle-class farmer's market, a tiny pack of raspberries costs £2 from Tescos; grapes £2 again; strawberries even more. Packets of green veg costs a fortune: £2 for a few green beans.

Yet, the **** junk food is either always on offer or dirt cheap.

How can the government expect us to eat healthily when healthy food is way overpriced?

Main intrinsic problem in my mind is that healthy foods like the ones you mentioned require more time, space and husbandry to grow, they are seasonal, and they spoil.

Remember the government doesn't control every aspect of the market. Do you know about the sort of manipulations the supermarkets are engaging in to corral their suppliers into selling to them for a pittance?

You're meant to be a right-wing type IIRC. Funny how whenever something you want doesn't happen you clamour for the government to save you, then you turn around and say the government has no business intervening in markets when it's something someone else wants.
Original post by So Instinct
Yeah I googled pasta and found it, madness so fair point to you.

Still though, it adds nothing to the idea of eating healthy which is probably and underlying point of the person you quoted.

That's true. I was just responding to that commenter and I didn't mean for that comment to have anything to do with anything else I've said. If you've seen the rest of my responses I am big on healthy eating and I just don;t buy most people's excuses.
No it doesn't :rolleyes:

If I eat junk food instead of cooking properly I spend a lot more money.

Cooking properly takes more time and effort, I'm willing to bet that is the main reason a lot of people don't do it. Laziness. Although it takes more time, it doesn't have to take that long, so it's not much of an excuse.

time=money, so the net effect is that it does cost more.
Can't say I'm surprised OP that you deleted one of your comments :rolleyes:

You don't do carbs do you? Well barring a medical illness (which I have already said of course can make eating healthy more expensive) that means you can't eat any carbs then I'm sorry but that is a choice. Any more excuses?
That's true. I was just responding to that commenter and I didn't mean for that comment to have anything to do with anything else I've said. If you've seen the rest of my responses I am big on healthy eating and I just don;t buy most people's excuses.

Yeah, I jumped the gun a bit, my bad.

I agree with you generally though, fast food in general isn't cheaper than low priced healthier alternatives. Honestly though, unless you scraping for cheap stuff the cost of food in general adds up pretty quickly, especially if you actually want a decent flavour and a little variety.

That or I'm just a cheap ****er.

Quick Reply

Latest