The Student Room Group

medical school after a bachelors degree in arts

is it possible to get into medical school if you have a bachelors in graphic design ??
yes but probably not via a Graduate entry course and expect to be asked to demonstrate chemistry etc knowledge to an A level standard
Original post by CeCe_Lovato
is it possible to get into medical school if you have a bachelors in graphic design ??

Yes, there are a few medical schools that accept humanities degree. Have a look at the medicine wiki (link on the right of the page) and the graduate entry medicine guide.

Original post by zippyRN
yes but probably not via a Graduate entry course and expect to be asked to demonstrate chemistry etc knowledge to an A level standard

Not necessarily true. Whilst having a level chemistry helps there are some graduate courses that accept humanities students without it.
Original post by ForestCat
Yes, there are a few medical schools that accept humanities degree. Have a look at the medicine wiki (link on the right of the page) and the graduate entry medicine guide.

Not necessarily true. Whilst having a level chemistry helps there are some graduate courses that accept humanities students without it.

Eg Warwick and Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If you're prepared to learn the material and shot the GAMSAT, you may also apply to Nottingham, SGUL and Swansea.
Reply 5
Fellow Graphic Designer alumni here, applying to medicine.

See my GAMSAT thread here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3022525

Just about to leave my design job next week to start as a HCA at my local hospital. Any questions give me a shout. Some of these science nerds can seem intimidating :wink:!
When I was applying (would have been five years ago now), the GEM courses at King's and Newcastle both accepted arts graduates and didn't require Chemistry A-level; nor did they grill you on A-level Chemistry at interview. There may have been other GEM courses that accepted arts graduates, but those two definitely did because I was offered interviews at both, and I was an English Literature graduate without the full Chemistry A-level. I did have a ****-ton of work experience though (as in, several years' worth) - be prepared for them to expect more from you on that front, since you'll have had more time to accrue experience than the average 17-year-old applicant. I have a feeling that King's may have changed their entry requirements since I applied, but you'll have to check on the individual universities' websites.

I went for a five-year course in the end, and I'm glad I did - though unfortunately the fee increases since then have made that an extremely difficult option unless you're made of money. It would broaden your options though, so it's something worth considering.
Original post by *pitseleh*
I did have a ****-ton of work experience though (as in, several years' worth) - be prepared for them to expect more from you on that front, since you'll have had more time to accrue experience than the average 17-year-old applicant.

I don't think this is necessarily true. I applied to Southampton, Warwick, KCL, and Newcastle with a Classics degree and a Chemistry A Level, with 1 week of shadowing and some St. John Ambulance first aid (about 6 months of doing a duty about every other weekend). I got interviews at all 4 and offers from the 3 I did attend. It's really not about quantity of work experience but rather quality, and what you learn from it. Very important to know how to express the lessons you learned during interview and on your PS.
Original post by JenniB22
I don't think this is necessarily true. I applied to Southampton, Warwick, KCL, and Newcastle with a Classics degree and a Chemistry A Level, with 1 week of shadowing and some St. John Ambulance first aid (about 6 months of doing a duty about every other weekend). I got interviews at all 4 and offers from the 3 I did attend. It's really not about quantity of work experience but rather quality, and what you learn from it. Very important to know how to express the lessons you learned during interview and on your PS.

I realise that not every university will demand a lot of work experience from every mature applicant; that's why I said "be prepared for them to expect..." rather than "you must have a huge amount of work experience". That doesn't change the fact that multiple mature friends and mature TSR members over the years have found themselves being required to have more work experience than is normally expected of sixth-form applicants. It's worth being prepared for that eventuality, or at least having a prepared explanation if the question is thrown at you.

By the way, 6 months is still quite a lot of experience, even if it was only part-time; it's still rather a lot more than most sixth-form students seem to have (most of my friends who applied straight from school had something in the region 2 or 3 weeks' work experience total).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending