The Student Room Group

What should Italy do about the illegal migrant boats coming from North Africa?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awkwardshortguy
Why do they have to go all the way from Eritrea to Italy? Are they using asylum as an excuse to live wherever they want? Someone fill me in.

Who are you, Craig David?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdcmM9T8vD4
Reply 141
Original post by wiseLAD
How can you just be making assumptions like that? Do you realise how dangerous the Mediterranean crossing is? People are coming because they are pushed, not because they fancy being a cleaner in KFC croydon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by awkwardshortguy
Why do they have to go all the way from Eritrea to Italy? Are they using asylum as an excuse to live wherever they want? Someone fill me in.

According to expat forums, Eritrea is a pretty nice place, only downside is lack of free politics.

So no I do not accept people from Eritrea as valid aslyum seekers, if looked at this way around half the globe would be eligible to aslyum including Chinese.

Also economic refugees in general deserve no aslyum. Only exception is people from places where civil wars are on going such as Syria and once these are over, they should be send home.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ESPORTIVA
launch rockets at them

Then shoot any survivors attempting to swim

Why the **** did I laugh? Why the actual **** did I laugh?
Anyhow, if this is what OP is talking about: I chose option B in the poll. Because like...don't kill people. :s-smilie: I looked it up and apparently this has been happening since 2014. Maybe earlier. If people can come to Africa and invade it and settle, why not vice versa. I mean half the countries Africans are going to are culpable for the continent's issues anyway :rolleyes: As far as Italy is concerned, my understanding is they are migrants because they are travelling through Italy to get to the UK. It should be charged as genocide when you are mass killing for no reason. It's pure xenophobia, plain and simple, which is shameful. Did they come to Sicily like "Get your hands in the air! Wave em like ya just don't care! And turn out ya pockets, white man! Pow pow!" No. Give them some milk n bread, a blankie, and...
wait a minute,

this is just like UK hating Irish travellers and gypsies! There's no reasoning is there? *drags head and walks away* lol
Reply 144
Original post by Dalek1099
These people are fleeing violent wars in their home countries where they lives are so awful living in fear and poverty due to war they would risk anything for a chance to enter Europe.The obvious moral answer to this is that Italy must accept these people coming from such poor and war torn places but Europe must do its bit and share the migrants and the cost as the burden will be too much for Italy to bare.

I am disgusted by most of the people on here and this thread(I think they must be voters of UKIP or BNP) that would rather they lived more comfortably in the West than save people migrating over and ensure them a basic humane standard of living(shelter,basic food) safe in the West, many of these people would be killed in these violent wars in their home countries.

The thing is that in the next 20 or so years the population of Africa is going to double to 2 billion.

In terms of Lifeboat Ethics, you can save some people, but if you try to save everyone the lifeboat will capsize.

Everyone is then worse off.

That is what will happen to Europe if it encourages a flow of mass migration from Africa. It will be unsustainabe.
Original post by Suckubus
Anyhow, if this is what OP is talking about: I chose option B in the poll. Because like...don't kill people. :s-smilie: I looked it up and apparently this has been happening since 2014. Maybe earlier. If people can come to Africa and invade it and settle, why not vice versa. I mean half the countries Africans are going to are culpable for the continent's issues anyway :rolleyes: As far as Italy is concerned, my understanding is they are migrants because they are travelling through Italy to get to the UK. It should be charged as genocide when you are mass killing for no reason. It's pure xenophobia, plain and simple, which is shameful. Did they come to Sicily like "Get your hands in the air! Wave em like ya just don't care! And turn out ya pockets, white man! Pow pow!" No. Give them some milk n bread, a blankie, and...
wait a minute,

this is just like UK hating Irish travellers and gypsies! There's no reasoning is there? *drags head and walks away* lol

Thanks for that unintelligible mess.
I seem to recall that when defectors and refugees were risking their lives trying to escape from the Eastern Bloc to the West, we weren't asking "What should East Germany/Romania/Hungary/etc do about these illegal migrants trying to leave the country?" When East Berliners trying to cross the wall were shot by border guards, the general reaction wasn't "Well that's a bit harsh, they should just imprison them instead."

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gordonbennetton
Thanks for that unintelligible mess.

Oh shut up, there was nothing unintelligible about it. You probably just don't agree. The basic point of the post was that I chose option B. But to be honest, I don't have any place in this thread because truly I do not even care.
Original post by Catholic_
I personally do not know why people are calling invaders migrants. These people have committed a crime by being in that territory.

They're illegal.

I personally believe Italy should do what ever other country has done about this issue for millions of years - send them back to their country of origin or use force to defend themselves. I often ask people who say they should be helped - And what do you want Italy/Europe to do with them?

Furthermore with the rise of Islamic terrorism and everyday criminal activity comming from migrant community's all over the West it seems insane that anybody believes we should welcome people from failed, violent nations who do not have a tolerant, liberal culture at all.

The issue with Pakistani men over 20 years of age being around 2% of the population yet accounting for over 80-90% of gang child abuse and rape is a clear indicator as well as the rape issue in Sweden & Norway which is even worse.

Italy should stop being part of NATO and JEWsa, and eurozone. Join BRICS and AIIB, and start investing into the infrastructure of Africa. Stop listening to the American dictate of bombing cadaffi, hungin hussein and creating ISIS
Original post by anarchism101
I seem to recall that when defectors and refugees were risking their lives trying to escape from the Eastern Bloc to the West, we weren't asking "What should East Germany/Romania/Hungary/etc do about these illegal migrants trying to leave the country?" When East Berliners trying to cross the wall were shot by border guards, the general reaction wasn't "Well that's a bit harsh, they should just imprison them instead."

Posted from TSR Mobile

people were in general crossing the wall to get out of east Berlin... the guards with their spray guns were on the east side trying to keep them in.

As nulli has said that sort of prison state with a wall around it has really gone out of fashion these days (except north Korea)

Apart from East Germans being regarded by west germans as fellow countrymen who'd been held prisoner in a political dead end, the western countries were generally happy to accept limited numbers of asylum seekers from communist countries because communist countries were regarded as powerful enemies and cultural rivals and there was propaganda value in having people escape from them... no one in the EU needs propaganda to tell them they're better off where they are and not living in sub saharan Africa.
Original post by Joinedup
people were in general crossing the wall to get out of east Berlin... the guards with their spray guns were on the east side trying to keep them in.

As nulli has said that sort of prison state with a wall around it has really gone out of fashion these days (except north Korea)

Apart from East Germans being regarded by west germans as fellow countrymen who'd been held prisoner in a political dead end, the western countries were generally happy to accept limited numbers of asylum seekers from communist countries because communist countries were regarded as powerful enemies and cultural rivals and there was propaganda value in having people escape from them... no one in the EU needs propaganda to tell them they're better off where they are and not living in sub saharan Africa.

I don't see your point. Even if I accept the argument about the propaganda effect of those leaving Eastern Europe (which I don't - it was perfectly possible to communicate to people in the West how **** the Eastern Bloc was without refugees coming from there), that would only address the incentive of the West to not force them back, not the morality of blocking them from moving.
Original post by anarchism101
I don't see your point. Even if I accept the argument about the propaganda effect of those leaving Eastern Europe (which I don't - it was perfectly possible to communicate to people in the West how **** the Eastern Bloc was without refugees coming from there), that would only address the incentive of the West to not force them back, not the morality of blocking them from moving.

Seems to me that there's a difference between a state preventing it's citizens from leaving if they want to leave and there is a state or states willing to accept them and a state that's trying to force out part of it's own population when there's no states willing to accept them.

clearly there was some propaganda value in accepting people from communist countries - the USA loved receiving 'political refugees' from the communist dictatorship in Cuba and didn't want to know about 'political refugees' from right wing dictatorships in southern America. If you don't have people trying to escape, always in the same direction, it's just one governments word against another about where the best place to live is.

if you're a country accepting refugees from another country while supporting it's government you're admitting that you're propping up an opressive state which contradicts your propaganda that you're standing up for freedom and human rights in the area and supporting the good guys.
Original post by William Pitt
[video="youtube;U56B_a66uxM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U56B_a66uxM[/video]

only on fox news
Original post by nulli tertius
What we have at present is a real life Hunger Games or Running Man where we deploy military and police resources to fight to keep these people out but if any overcome our opposition and reach the sanctuary of our shores we present them with the prize of residency in a stable democracy.
Spot on. As presently constituted we are running a psychopath's lottery.
We are SICK and TIRED of these Muslims coming in! Enough already!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending