The Student Room Group

What should Italy do about the illegal migrant boats coming from North Africa?

Poll

What do you want Italy to do with them?

I personally do not know why people are calling invaders migrants. These people have committed a crime by being in that territory.

They're illegal.

I personally believe Italy should do what ever other country has done about this issue for millions of years - send them back to their country of origin or use force to defend themselves. I often ask people who say they should be helped - And what do you want Italy/Europe to do with them?

Furthermore with the rise of Islamic terrorism and everyday criminal activity comming from migrant community's all over the West it seems insane that anybody believes we should welcome people from failed, violent nations who do not have a tolerant, liberal culture at all.

The issue with Pakistani men over 20 years of age being around 2% of the population yet accounting for over 80-90% of gang child abuse and rape is a clear indicator as well as the rape issue in Sweden & Norway which is even worse.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catholic_
I personally do not know why people are calling invaders migrants. These people have committed a crime by being in that territory.

They're illegal.

I personally believe Italy should do what ever other country has done about this issue for millions of years - send them back to their country of origin or use force to defend themselves. I often ask people who say they should be helped - And what do you want Italy/Europe to do with them?

Furthermore with the rise of Islamic terrorism and everyday criminal activity comming from migrant community's all over the West it seems insane that anybody believes we should welcome people from failed, violent nations who do not have a tolerant, liberal culture at all.

The issue with Pakistani men over 20 years of age being around 2% of the population yet accounting for over 80-90% of gang child abuse and rape is a clear indicator as well as the rape issue in Sweden & Norway which is even worse.

launch rockets at them

Then shoot any survivors attempting to swim
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ESPORTIVA
launch rockets at them

They shoot any survivors attempting to swim

because that wouldn't aggravate the situation...
Reply 3
Well I don't particularly believe they deserve to die tbh.
Reply 4
Have coastguard patrols (NATO?) to prevent them reaching Europe
It'll cost no matter what but honestly it's not sustainable both for human life lost in the appalling conditions/non-seaworthy vessels and Italy having to deal with thousands upon thousands of illegal migrants who just end up adding to those at Calais and the like.

So I'd say Park a coast guard at the edge of, or with their permission within the territorial water of Libya/Tunisia/Algeria (I think its mainly Tunisia & Libya these ships come from?). Albeit that's a lot of shoreline to cover, so halfway between them and Italy might be best, issue being though is the smugglers don't give a **** and sometimes just abandon vessels with the engines running and them pointing vaguely at Italy, so turning them back won't be easy.

I don't like the idea of sinking these vessels as you're killing people, you could however do an advertising campaign in those countries saying ships are sunk. But then smugglers would know otherwise...

The real issue is to try and improve their life's at home but...that's a practical pipe dream.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
You would not be saying that if you were in.the same situation as them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JD8897
Have coastguard patrols (NATO?) to prevent them reaching Europe

The Italians did that, Britain and others said it was a waste of money and encouraged people to.try. They scaled back that program last year to be replaced by a new EU run one. Migrant numbers have increased.

Spain and Greece appear to have stemmed the flow a little, but whether they have stopped or have just moved where they are coming from/going to is disputed and accusations of dodgy deals and illegal pushbacks are far from uncommon.

People seem to be so ready to tell them to stop coming, yet offer no positive incentive to do so. Many people are fleeing terror, war, famine and persecution, coming to Europe is worth dying for.

The answer is surely is to stop people being so desperate to leave their home countries. How you're going to do that with no foreign aid budget and an otherwise narrow, self-interested foreign policy I dont know.
Reply 8
Original post by joey11223
It'll cost no matter what but honestly it's not sustainable both for human life lost in the appalling conditions/non-seaworthy vessels and Italy having to deal with thousands upon thousands of illegal migrants who just end up adding to those at Calais and the like.

So I'd say Park a coast guard at the edge of, or with their permission within the territorial water of Libya/Tunisia/Algeria (I think its mainly Tunisia & Libya these ships come from?). Albeit that's a lot of shoreline to cover, so halfway between them and Italy might be best, issue being though is the smugglers don't give a **** and sometimes just abandon vessels with the engines running and them pointing vaguely at Italy, so turning them back won't be easy.

I don't like the idea of sinking these vessels as you're killing people, you could however do an advertising campaign in those countries saying ships are sunk. But then smugglers would know otherwise...

The real issue is to try and improve their life's at home but...that's a practical pipe dream.

If we agree that deliberately leaving migrants to drown is out of the question, I think that the extra expense of having more ships to patrol the African coast is worth it compared to the cost of dealing with them once they reach Europe.

I'd suggest that, if any migrant boats are found by an Italian or Greek patrol, they should simply be towed straight back to the port they came from and the boat confiscated once all the migrants have been put ashore. That way they'll never set foot in Europe in the first place, and so there won't need to be any horribly long legal process to deport them. The current system, where they are taken to a European refugee centre, only encourages smugglers, who know that they've only got to get the migrants half way.
Italy with EU funding should install a defense system at their coast to eliminate the threat before it reaches European shores.
Original post by joey11223

Why do you oppose the use of torpedoes and turret defense systems?
Original post by The two eds
Why do you oppose the use of torpedoes and turret defense systems?

That's an absolutely disgusting thing to say. I think if the EU started torpedoing boats filled with children and leaving them to drown the last shred of faith in humanity I have would probably dissipate.
Original post by Catholic_
I

I personally believe Italy should do what ever other country has done about this issue for millions of years

If you want to make things up, then at least use common sense.
Original post by ProspectiveGEM
That's an absolutely disgusting thing to say. I think if the EU started torpedoing boats filled with children and leaving them to drown the last shred of faith in humanity I have would probably dissipate.

You do know 99% of boats are filled with adults and all male? Plus surely it is a reasonable course of actions when foreign ships enter national waters, that is an act of war by invading home territory. At least the turret system would save money by eliminating the problem quickly and swiftly.
They should just run a ferry service, honestly, the risk of death isn't really deterring the sub-saharan Africans in the first place. They should just have a ferry that takes 1,000 or so people over everyday (they reckon that's the amount coming through at the moment) once they have gone through some kind of screening, that way there will be a general idea of who is coming in (there is currently no idea). The current costs of helicopters and rescue services would be saved. The human traffickers would lose their markets and crimes funding all kinds of atrocity would decrease. Really 1000 people a day, that's 365,000 people a year, given that the population of Europe is over 500 million it's not really that much. The only problem would be if this ferry service encourages more people to come to Europe, not sure if it would though, people travelling all the way to Libya or whatever seem to be pretty set already on the idea that they're going to make it here.

The real way to solve this problem though would be to decrease the incentive of coming here and help to increase the incentive of staying there. Or just re-distribute these people to places that need workers (with falling populations) like Canada maybe or something, idk lol.
[video="youtube;U56B_a66uxM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U56B_a66uxM[/video]
Original post by The two eds
You do know 99% of boats are filled with adults and all male? Plus surely it is a reasonable course of actions when foreign ships enter national waters, that is an act of war by invading home territory. At least the turret system would save money by eliminating the problem quickly and swiftly.

I don't feel this discussion is going to go anywhere but if you are not trolling (which I sincerely hope you are) then you are one sick individual. I'd genuinely seek some kind of help if you think the moral action is to bomb boats of poor people for committing a relatively minor crime.
Original post by William Pitt
[video="youtube;U56B_a66uxM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U56B_a66uxM[/video]

That's the answer the Fox Network gives to most situations.
Reply 18
WOW! Some people are just f up!
Must be the same people who support the BNP.
These people are fleeing violent wars in their home countries where they lives are so awful living in fear and poverty due to war they would risk anything for a chance to enter Europe.The obvious moral answer to this is that Italy must accept these people coming from such poor and war torn places but Europe must do its bit and share the migrants and the cost as the burden will be too much for Italy to bare.

I am disgusted by most of the people on here and this thread(I think they must be voters of UKIP or BNP) that would rather they lived more comfortably in the West than save people migrating over and ensure them a basic humane standard of living(shelter,basic food) safe in the West, many of these people would be killed in these violent wars in their home countries.

Quick Reply