The Student Room Group

Is french a level really hard

Im predicted an A at GCSE i got A*s in most of courseworks in reading tests i get usually an A or high B but listening i get Bs/high Cs

will i struggle at A level?is it too hard as apparently people fluent french struggle.....
is it your hardest a level?
A Level French really sorts out the ones who are actually good at french from those who survived GCSE through memorising speeches without actually understanding what they are saying. Listening is actually easier at A Level as you can pause and rewind the clips as much as you want as you have your own laptop. You will only struggle if you expect to be able to do well at A Level simply because you did well at GCSE, it requires much more hard work and revision than GCSE. No, it's not my hardest subject, but I'm good at languages so it wouldn't be, it all depends on the person
Original post by youreanutter
Im predicted an A at GCSE i got A*s in most of courseworks in reading tests i get usually an A or high B but listening i get Bs/high Cs

will i struggle at A level?is it too hard as apparently people fluent french struggle.....
is it your hardest a level?

Yes, French A level is hard, but as long as you revise and practice regularly, you should be fine. At A level the classes are generally smaller, so you will get more 1:1 time with your teacher and they can help you if you are struggling. Talk to your French teacher now about it, and they can tell you how they think you will do.
Hope it helps. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
There is a big jump between GCSE and AS. at GCSE you just had to memorise essays or speeches for your speaking, but at AS, it is all spontaneous. You really have to learn the french, learn how to use the grammar etc, instead of just learning "high level grammar phrases". Its a lot of work i would say, but youll be able to do it if youre willing to put the effort in.
It is a big step up from GCSE, especially as the speaking is more improvised and you can't just learn set paragraphs. I found A2 easier than AS, purely as the topics are a lot more interesting and easier to debate. The big thing is vocab and grammar. It did seem really bad at first, but looking back now the stuff we started with seems quite easy! So it is very rewarding when you realise you can suddenly understand things you couldn't before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest