The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Whats Edinburgh uni like for quiet people who don't like drinking or clubbing?

gg
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Pretty good! There is a lot to do here. Museums, shopping, nature, cafes, etc. There are also a lot of societies in the university itself so if you want to join some to meet people or to expand your interests its a great idea. I know quite a few people who don't drink and they still have a great time - a huge variety of people come here, so its possible to still make friends and find things to do even if clubbing isn't your thing.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I don't like clubbing either, and I'm sure there will be tons of other interesting activities to do :smile:
Original post by Ramm20
gg

When I came to Edinburgh last year I was worried about the same thing - being a little quiet and anti-social myself. I find myself being a bit lonely at times, but there are a lot of other quiet people and a lot of people that aren't interested in clubbing either. I've found the Doctor Who society in particular a great place to meet other like minded people, who are also lovely and won't judge you for not wanting to go to hive, if that's your kind of thing :smile:
Original post by DanielleDx
When I came to Edinburgh last year I was worried about the same thing - being a little quiet and anti-social myself. I find myself being a bit lonely at times, but there are a lot of other quiet people and a lot of people that aren't interested in clubbing either. I've found the Doctor Who society in particular a great place to meet other like minded people, who are also lovely and won't judge you for not wanting to go to hive, if that's your kind of thing :smile:

Thank you for your message Danielle. It made me feel much less worried :smile:
Do you know any interesting society apart from the one you mentioned?
Original post by Filippo T
Thank you for your message Danielle. It made me feel much less worried :smile:
Do you know any interesting society apart from the one you mentioned?

As an English lit and history student, both of those societies can be great in terms of extra-academic activities - they've organised some really interesting lectures! :smile: I would definitely recommend joining the society specific to whatever your subject area is. The Sciffy society put on a little 'freshercon' last year, which was good fun and I met some other nerdy people (and given my society choices you can probably tell I'm a bit geeky). The film society events were also pretty good during fresher's week, so I'd recommend shopping around societies during fresher's week and having a look at what you think you might like - there is a societies fair during fresher's also, where you can join societies, or get some more information from members. :smile:
Original post by DanielleDx
As an English lit and history student, both of those societies can be great in terms of extra-academic activities - they've organised some really interesting lectures! :smile: I would definitely recommend joining the society specific to whatever your subject area is. The Sciffy society put on a little 'freshercon' last year, which was good fun and I met some other nerdy people (and given my society choices you can probably tell I'm a bit geeky). The film society events were also pretty good during fresher's week, so I'd recommend shopping around societies during fresher's week and having a look at what you think you might like - there is a societies fair during fresher's also, where you can join societies, or get some more information from members. :smile:

I'm going to study English, so I'll definitely try the Literary Society :smile: We'll maybe meet there as well haha! Thanks for the advice on the societies fair!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending