The Student Room Group

Why do people hate UKIP so much?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Observatory
I've noticed an interesting phenomenon in the past few months: the pro-UKIP posts now seem to have better spelling and grammar, on average, than the anti-UKIP posts.

It's because the more erudite among people are beginning to realise (or have done already if you live in the real world as opposed to student la la land) is that the right wing isn't really about racism and bigotry as they so love to tell themselves, but more to do with the creation of wealth which benefits us all.

They're starting to understand that the left's solution to everything - "let's give free everything to everyone, except for the rich because they're evil" is a mindset which results in a collapse of wealth which is bad for us all.

The other thing is that we're getting close to election time so people are looking more closely at manifestos. In Ukip's case, they are seeing that, despite the screeching of the Guardianistas and the facists of the far left on TSR and the like, there is absolutely nothing what so ever racist about Ukip.

Conversely, they actually look at the policies from The Green to name but one party and realise that you can promise the world but reality and Toyland are two very different places.
Original post by KimKallstrom
It's because the more erudite among people are beginning to realise (or have done already if you live in the real world as opposed to student la la land) is that the right wing isn't really about racism and bigotry as they so love to tell themselves, but more to do with the creation of wealth which benefits us all.

They're starting to understand that the left's solution to everything - "let's give free everything to everyone, except for the rich because they're evil" is a mindset which results in a collapse of wealth which is bad for us all.

The other thing is that we're getting close to election time so people are looking more closely at manifestos. In Ukip's case, they are seeing that, despite the screeching of the Guardianistas and the facists of the far left on TSR and the like, there is absolutely nothing what so ever racist about Ukip.

Conversely, they actually look at the policies from The Green to name but one party and realise that you can promise the world but reality and Toyland are two very different places.

I'm not saying they are racist. I'm saying they are xenophobic. That is not the same as racism but is just as bad and is closely related to racism. They are branches of the same tree.

For the record, while I agree with the main Green ideology, I do think the Green Party are delusional about a lot of things and I do agree that a lot of what they've been saying sounds like Toyland. I wouldn't vote for them.
Reply 82
Original post by Nice.Guy
I've been following the election campaign pretty closely this year, and it seems to me that UKIP gets more than its fair share of hate. So to those who dislike UKIP's policies, please explain why?

Now I'll agree, the party's image hasn't been great, but I do think there may be some bias in what gets reported - so before I hear the 'Oh, they're racist' comments, can we focus objectively on the policies - what don't you agree with?

Why is it wrong to control the numbers of people coming in to a country?

UKIP say they don't want to stop immigration - just that it needs some degree of control, what's wrong with that?

btw I'm not a UKIP supporter trying to campaign on TSR here, just trying to actually understand what I'm missing here... I get the impression a lot of people say they hate UKIP before even trying to understand what they want to do, just for fear of being branded a racist?

They hate UKIP because they are different and new. The leftist establishment media lie, smear, spread out right propaganda and spin that the naive believe and take for absolute truth.
Original post by SeaPony
They hate UKIP because they are different and new. The leftist establishment media lie, smear, spread out right propaganda and spin that the naive believe and take for absolute truth.

Right wing media outlets do the same, according to lefties. :colondollar:
Original post by driftawaay
The political advocacy groups 'push this idea' because they want less people dying of cancer, obesity and so on. It is a public health issue and people advocating for less sugar consumption etc are doing so for the well being of people. Second hand smoking is harmful so people wanting bans on smoking in pubs is sensible. People are right to advocate for these issues and money should be spent on these issues. There are far worse things that tax payers' money is spent on. I don't think UKIP's lack of interest in the population's health is a liberal value or something to boast about but I guess you also think lack of gun control laws are 'liberal' values since they give individuals the opportunity to kill people? There needs to be a limit to 'individual liberties' that are harmful to society.

They also push this idea because their salaries depend on it. Even if it is good for the government to get involved in the regulation of everything we put into our bodies for "public health", why do we need to pay for NGOs and fake charities to tell us this?

They aren't just advocating for less sugar consumption or an education of the public on health issues, they are advocating for draconion laws to restrict the ability of human adults to make their own free decisions. That goes against the very core of liberalism.

There are worse things that tax-payer money is spent on but you as a left-winger probably support all of that too!

No gun control laws does not mean it's fine to kill people. Killing is still illegal. Your arguments are terrible.

So you aren't a liberal at all then?

I do think minimum alcohol pricing and plain packaging are good ideas. Discouriging kids from smoking is a good thing, just like encouraging condoms is a good thing.

Well, I don't think those policies are a good thing and that's why I won't support the authoritarian left.

UKIP seem to be 'liberal' about issues that affect people's and health negatively, but they don't seem to be 'liberal about two people in love getting married. Yes, they are against gay marriage. Nigel Farage has said that the party does not support same sex marriage. For your information, opposing it and not supporting it are the same things, it is just worded differently to make it seem like they are not against it. Let's say, someone says they don't support the legalization of interracial marriage. Is that not racist just because they didn't explicity say they oppose it?

You are right, they would not reverse it. They could not reverse it at this point as that era of history has passed, opposing gay marriage is becoming increasingly embarrassing now, so at this point they wouldn't actively oppose it as it would work against them. That is the only reason they are not publicly opposing it, if we were a few years back, even as recently as 2008, they would be the ones shouting loudest against it but given the social climate now, they stay quiet for political reasons. Your point about gay rights not being in their manifesto is an excellent point, thank you for proving me right. The others parties have all included policies protecting gay rights in their manifestos and homophobic UKIP has failed to even mention the acronym LGBT. Embarrassing.

So the only rights we should care about are those of a small minority of the population? Everyone else can have their rights and freedoms curtailed for the rest of "society" but being gay makes you special?

They won't reverse it so what is the issue? Their policies would actually give the vast majority of people (including gay people) more freedom and not less. This is unlike Labour who want to increase the state's involvement in everyone's lives.

Most people don't care that much about LGBT issues so why should it have to be in their manifesto? Should it be law that is must be?

Their tax plans would not benefit the majority of people, as pointed out here http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/21/ukip-tax-plans-slammed_n_5697311.html But I guess the Huffington Post is too left wing for you anyway?

Taking everyone who is paid MW out of tax would benefit everyone who already pays income tax. That is undeniable.

The policy of increasing the threshold would help the middle class more than the poorest yes, but combined with other tax policies and I don't think you can say that the tax cuts wouldn't benefit a lot of people. That's not even taking into account their NI cuts.

Plus the top 1% already contribute 30% of the income tax take: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/1/27/1390835061627/Infographic5.png

How is my point about their policies being based on the premise that the UK leaves the EU 'not an argument'? The UK is currently a part of the EU, that is the current reality. At this point it is not certain or even very likely AT ALL that that will happen. None of the majority of the other parties support the idea, even David Cameron said he would hope the UK would stay if there was a referendum. IF there was a referendum. Not even certain that will happen, so UKIP having no back up plans is worrying. Write a manifesto on reality, not imaginary future scenarios.

Because the manifesto is what they would do in government. If UKIP are ever the largest party, I highly doubt that leaving the EU at that point would be unlikely.
Reply 85
Right wing media outlets do the same, according to lefties. :colondollar:

Oh yes of course but most often they don't do it with the same fanatical enthusiasm.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
They also push this idea because their salaries depend on it. Even if it is good for the government to get involved in the regulation of everything we put into our bodies for "public health", why do we need to pay for NGOs and fake charities to tell us this?

They aren't just advocating for less sugar consumption or an education of the public on health issues, they are advocating for draconion laws to restrict the ability of human adults to make their own free decisions. That goes against the very core of liberalism.

There are worse things that tax-payer money is spent on but you as a left-winger probably support all of that too!

No gun control laws does not mean it's fine to kill people. Killing is still illegal. Your arguments are terrible.

So you aren't a liberal at all then?

Well, I don't think those policies are a good thing and that's why I won't support the authoritarian left.

So the only rights we should care about are those of a small minority of the population? Everyone else can have their rights and freedoms curtailed for the rest of "society" but being gay makes you special?

They won't reverse it so what is the issue? Their policies would actually give the vast majority of people (including gay people) more freedom and not less. This is unlike Labour who want to increase the state's involvement in everyone's lives.

Most people don't care that much about LGBT issues so why should it have to be in their manifesto? Should it be law that is must be?

Taking everyone who is paid MW out of tax would benefit everyone who already pays income tax. That is undeniable.

The policy of increasing the threshold would help the middle class more than the poorest yes, but combined with other tax policies and I don't think you can say that the tax cuts wouldn't benefit a lot of people. That's not even taking into account their NI cuts.

Plus the top 1% already contribute 30% of the income tax take: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/1/27/1390835061627/Infographic5.png

Because the manifesto is what they would do in government. If UKIP are ever the largest party, I highly doubt that leaving the EU at that point would be unlikely.

They aren't 'advocating to restrict the ability of adult humans to make their own decisions', that is a major an oversimplification of the problem. Second hand smoke is unhealthy so it isn't just their own health that adult humans are doing and adults are not the only ones smoking. 13 year olds smoke. The efforts to reduce sugar consumption etc is not something that only affects adult humans. Kids grow up on junk food because their parents let them and when you've been allowed to have junk food all your life and suddenly you're 15 and overweight you will not be able to just wake up one day and start being healthy kids growing up eating **** will grow into fat adults eating ****. This problem should be dealt with.

I brought up the gun control argument because you brought up UKIP's so called 'liberal' policies protecting individual freedom, even though those personal freedoms are against the population's interests, just like lack of gun control laws also protect individual freedom but are against the interest of society as a whole.

I did not say that the only rights we should care about are those of minority populations. We need to protect the rights of everyone, including minority populations. Being 'gay' doesn't make anyone special, as gay people are just like everyone else and should get equal rights as everyone else. Supporting that is basic human decency. The only ones thinking gay people are 'special' are homophobes. I did not say it should be law that it needs to be included in their manifesto. LOL

Thank you for admitting that their taxes would affect the poorest negatively though!

UKIP won't ever be the largest party. Imaginary scenario, as I've already said. This country is better than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending