The Student Room Group

Are there any names that you won't date?

Scroll to see replies

I was about to list a series of gheto female names and then remembered I'm gay :tongue:.
Original post by summer1102
I'm named after a county and absolutely hate it, but it wasn't my choice :mad:

I personally don't have an issue with any names. If you like someone, why should their name make you feel any differently?

When you get to know them it probably won't matter at as much. However it's the first impressions the name creates which count. Unless a person changed their name to something controversial by themselves, we should remember that it's mostly the parents' fault for giving the name. Then again, people don't name their child just to make a person accept them over the internet on debates such as this.
Original post by Jebedee
Judging by that statement I think a John or Steve would be your cup of tea...

Slightly homophobic comment

Im sure youre not homophobic, but perpetuating stereotypes is not cool
Original post by number23
Slightly homophobic comment

Im sure youre not homophobic, but perpetuating stereotypes is not cool

May appear that way to some but I would hope that most with common sense realise that making a suggestion (in a jovial manner or not) does not assume a derogatory implication.
Original post by SausageMan
People who are named after Towns, Cities, Fruit or where they were conceived. #Money Can't Buy Class

Damn. I'm called Timperley Rhubarb.
Anyone with the same name as my dad/grandads/uncles :erm:
Original post by Jebedee
May appear that way to some but I would hope that most with common sense realise that making a suggestion (in a jovial manner or not) does not assume a derogatory implication.

you were perpetuating an untrue stereotype of gay people
Original post by MylittlePlusle
I won't date anyone called Gemma or Louisa due to the fact that my two beautiful close special friends have those names and if I were to end a relationship with someone called one of those two names it could have a negative effect on my relationship with my beautiful special friends. I can't afford to lose those two girls.

Why would you not want to give everyone a chance because a name does not define you?

For me, it is about personality and whether the person shares the same values as me.

I get why people would like to date certain races but to write someone off because of their name is absurd and unwise.

Edit: Also why spread hate by segregating?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by German123
Why would you not want to give everyone a chance because a name does not define you?

For me, it is about personality and whether the person shares the same values as me.

I get why people would like to date certain races but to write someone off because of their name is absurd and unwise.

Edit: Also why spread hate by segregating?

I'll rather lose a possible girlfriend than lose my two beautiful special friends.
I'll rather lose a possible girlfriend than lose my two beautiful special friends.

Cool.

My point was not to segregate people and label them afterall names are just names.

I do acknowledge that people have different opinions.
Reply 50
I won't date anyone called Gemma or Louisa due to the fact that my two beautiful close special friends have those names and if I were to end a relationship with someone called one of those two names it could have a negative effect on my relationship with my beautiful special friends. I can't afford to lose those two girls.

What
Original post by Zaffre
What

Friends before girlfriends.
Reply 52
Friends before girlfriends.

How does dating someone with the same name as your friend affect your friendship in any way, or mean you're prioritising either one of them?

And why would breaking up with someone affect your friendship at all? Must be a pretty fragile friendship if relies on the name your girlfriend, no?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
Family members/close relatives names

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone called Anne, Chloe or Katie/Katy
Original post by German123

LOL, I think race and name is the same reasoning. Writing someone off because they're a different race to you is absurd and unwise. Just like most of the names on here are ghetto (which usually perpetrates anti-blackness but lets not even get into that) like "Alisha" and "Shanequea" which is usually a black girls name. It's all the same thing in my opinion. I think it's sad that people think them not "being attracted" to other races is actual physicality and not just deep, internalized racism. But... *sips tea* this tea is good though.
It would always be weird to date someone with the same name as one of my close family members (e.g. Dad, brother, uncle, grandfather). I dunno if that would stop me dating them full stop or whether I would just have to always call them by a different name/nickname. Other than that nah. Not that there aren't names I don't really like and are thus less attracted to....
Reply 57

Are these "beautiful special friends" your carers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Are these "beautiful special friends" your carers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Um, no. They live with their families.
always thought that it would be wierd to date a girl with the same name as one of your ex...

Then I dated 3 girls in a row, with pretty much the same name.

Married the last

Gave up on deciding what I would and wouldnt do about names/dating after that :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending