The Student Room Group

Global Trouble Spots

We live in a pretty chaotic world, from Africa to Eastern Europe and all over Asia there wars and areas of extreme tension between nations. Which makes me ask what areas do you think are going to be the next to flair up? You have the well known issues, such as the territorial disputes between China and its neighbors, to perhaps the less well known such as Egypt's issues with it's neighbors over water use, which have almost lead to war in the past.

I think China is going to clash with other regional powers, hopefully just diplomatically, but without careful management these disputes could easily lead to a large scale war. As well as this, I think India and China could end up butting heads in the next few years.

Thoughts?
Original post by Aj12
We live in a pretty chaotic world, from Africa to Eastern Europe and all over Asia there wars and areas of extreme tension between nations. Which makes me ask what areas do you think are going to be the next to flair up? You have the well known issues, such as the territorial disputes between China and its neighbors, to perhaps the less well known such as Egypt's issues with it's neighbors over water use, which have almost lead to war in the past.

I think China is going to clash with other regional powers, hopefully just diplomatically, but without careful management these disputes could easily lead to a large scale war. As well as this, I think India and China could end up butting heads in the next few years.

Thoughts?

Clash of civilisations.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_Civilizations

A quick look at the battle honours of any old line regiment will see mankind is still fighting over the same bit of real estate.
Wars aren't really happening. Rather a break down in old colonial territories. Yemen, Libya, Nigeria, Iraq. So internal struggles for power with external forces supporting the side they want to win. As for the next major nation vs nation war I would say Poland, Turkey and Japan will like take part. Which nations it will be between I don't know. Likely around the Black sea or East China sea. Depends what happens to Russia, Germany, Saudi and China. The US will likely sit these engagements out and allow the smaller powers to do most of the fighting. Britain will likely do the same.
Reply 3
Original post by MatureStudent36
Clash of civilisations.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_Civilizations

A quick look at the battle honours of any old line regiment will see mankind is still fighting over the same bit of real estate.

I've never read the book, but I've seen overviews and replies to it. It always seemed oversimplified. The idea of an Islamic civilization for example ignores the Sunni-Shia split. Which has been one of the main drivers of conflict within the region in the past century.
Reply 4
Original post by william walker
Wars aren't really happening. Rather a break down in old colonial territories. Yemen, Libya, Nigeria, Iraq. So internal struggles for power with external forces supporting the side they want to win. As for the next major nation vs nation war I would say Poland, Turkey and Japan will like take part. Which nations it will be between I don't know. Likely around the Black sea or East China sea. Depends what happens to Russia, Germany, Saudi and China. The US will likely sit these engagements out and allow the smaller powers to do most of the fighting. Britain will likely do the same.

Why Poland? I can see the other two but I could not see Japan ending up in a war without extensive US backing.
Original post by Aj12
Why Poland? I can see the other two but I could not see Japan ending up in a war without extensive US backing.

It is the major next to the European buffer with Russia. Since Russia is attempting to maintain this buffer and some nations within the buffer are trying to be independent Poland is in the front line of this and can't sit it out. Neither can Turkey and Romania, but they are less important since they aren't on the North European Plain.

The US would like support both sides in a war between Japan and China.
Reply 6
Original post by william walker
It is the major next to the European buffer with Russia. Since Russia is attempting to maintain this buffer and some nations within the buffer are trying to be independent Poland is in the front line of this and can't sit it out. Neither can Turkey and Romania, but they are less important since they aren't on the North European Plain.

The US would like support both sides in a war between Japan and China.

There is no way the US would support both sides. China is a rival and would not need US support anyway. Japan is a firm US ally and a way for them to maintain influence within the region.
Original post by Aj12
There is no way the US would support both sides. China is a rival and would not need US support anyway. Japan is a firm US ally and a way for them to maintain influence within the region.

Japan has the second best navy in the world. China is reliant upon exports to maintain itself. In a war Japan has a major advantage. The US would be forced to support both sides to stop Japan winning outright and threatening the US in the Pacific.
Reply 8
Original post by Aj12

Thoughts?

I can see small conflicts involving China and Russia. Just as now though i suspect the Middle East will continue to be a stain upon our world.

Quick Reply