The Student Room Group

Article: What to take to university

Scroll to see replies

Yay! Great to see this around! Hope that everyone finds it useful - if you can think of anything that should be on the essentials list then just comment and we'll check through them. :smile:
I think you need to add a part for students with en suites!
Original post by bethhewitsonx
I think you need to include a part for students with en suites!

Hiya,

In my en-suite, we didn't really need anything other than towels etc?

There's an extensive list of anything you might want, basically the IKEA catalogue, linked from the article. :lol:
oh f***ing hell.. Right, wheres the suitcase xD
Original post by DannyGeldart
oh f***ing hell.. Right, wheres the suitcase xD

Hiya Danny,

We're currently working on trimming this list right down - I've got a version of this and I'll PM it to you in a bit. :yy:
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Reply 7
You could do 3 section
must (essentials)
Should
Could
This way you cover more budgets as people can start of with the essentials and buy more as they need it when at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for posting this, it's great! It'd be useful if there was a section for bare essentials or something for international students who will only have, say, a suitcase and a carry-on bag to take stuff with them if you feel like doing that at any point but even if not it's still useful!
Original post by Selkey
Thanks for posting this, it's great! It'd be useful if there was a section for bare essentials or something for international students who will only have, say, a suitcase and a carry-on bag to take stuff with them if you feel like doing that at any point but even if not it's still useful!

Hiya,

We've written this, just waiting for it to be edited. When I'm at my Mac, I'll pop it on this thread for you. :smile:
Here's my basic essentials list for you:

NoticePlease note that this is a very basic guide and has been agreed and looked over by a few people. If you wish to have a complete guide (IKEA catalogue size) then please go to the link in the first post of this thread. Cheers :smile:

Bedding items

Duvet

Sheets

Duvet covers

Pillows

Pillow cases

Mattress protector

Bathroom items

Bath towel

Toilet roll

Bedroom items

Door wedge

Clothes wash basket/bin/bag

Small rubbishbin (if Halls don't provide one)

Extension leads. Get surge protected ones to protect valuable equipment

Socket converter(if you are an international student)

Laundry & clothing items

Clothes Don’t go overboard on taking all of the clothes you own you only have limited space, so go through your clothes first and throw out things you’ll never wear again.

Washing powder/Fabric softener

A big bag for carrying clothes IKEA bags are great for this

Small clothes drying rack

Stationery

Backpack orsimilar

Stationery items

Noticeboard (most halls rooms will have one already)

A few folders

Refill pads

Pens and pencils

Tip: If you need any more then you can buy this as and when at uni

A laptop/tablet/PC (visit this article for more information)

A memory stick

Kitchen items (for non catered accommodation)
In halls, generally a microwave, oven, kettle and toaster are supplied. This should be made clear by the university or your accommodation provider - you should have an idea if you’ve viewed the accommodation. If you’re unsure then contact them via email or phone to ask what is provided.

A saucepan set

Oven tray

Tin opener

Bottle opener

Vegetable peeler

Cheese grater

Wooden spoons or spatulas

Masher

Microwavable bowl

Measuring jug

Pizza cutter

Colander

Chopping knives

Chopping board

Tea towels

Tupperware (plastic tubs for storing leftovers) Write your name on the lids and the tubs to prevent them going missing

Sandwich bags (good for storing 'dry' leftovers)

Tableware

Glasses

Cutlery (knives, forks, spoons) Tip - taking just one or two of everything will encourage you to wash them straight away but make sure you have enough to have people over for a takeaway dinner

Crockery (plates, bowls, mugs, cups)

Things you won't need

Previous textbooks and notes you’ll be reading new more academic texts which will be available or have been purchased.

‘Book Tokens’ ask for an Amazon gift card instead so that you can buy any essential textbooks.

A car most universities don’t allow halls residents car permits unless you’ve got a disability requiring it. Most universities have good bus services between the campus and nearest town centre.

Pets these will most likely be banned from halls as outlined in your tenancy agreement

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Roving Fish
Bedding items

Duvet

Sheets

Duvet covers

Pillows

Pillow cases

Mattressprotector

Bathroom items

Bath towel

Toilet roll

Bedroom items

Door wedge

Clothes washbasket/bin/bag

Extension leads. Getsurge protected ones to protect valuable equipment

Laundry & clothing items

Clothes Don’t go overboard on taking all of the clothes you own you only have limited space, so go through your clothes first and throw out things you’ll never wear again.

Stationery

Backpack orsimilar

Stationery items

Noticeboard (mosthalls rooms will have one already)

A few folders

Refill pads

Pens and pencils

Tip: If you need any more then you can buy this asand when at uni

Alaptop/tablet/PC (visit this articlefor more information)

A memory stick

Kitchen items (for noncatered accommodation)
Inhalls, generally a microwave, oven, kettle and toaster are supplied. Thisshould be made clear by the university or your accommodation provider - youshould have an idea if you’ve viewed the accommodation. If you’re unsure thencontact them via email or phone to ask what is provided.

A saucepan set

Oven tray

Tin opener

Bottle opener

Vegetable peeler

Cheese grater

Wooden spoons orspatulas

Masher

Microwavablebowl

Measuring jug

Pizza cutter

Colander

Chopping knives

Chopping board

Tea towels

Tupperware(plastic tubs for storing leftovers.) Write your name on the lids and the tubsto prevent them going missing

Sandwich bags(good for storing 'dry' leftovers)

Tableware

Glasses

Cutlery (knives,forks, spoons) Tip - taking just one ortwo of everything will encourage you to wash them straight away but make sureyou have enough to have people over for a takeaway dinner

Crockery(plates, bowls, mugs, cups)

Things you won't need

Previous textbooks and notes you’ll be reading new more academic texts which will beavailable or have been purchased.

‘Book Tokens’ –ask for an Amazon gift card instead so that you can buy any essentialtextbooks.

A car mostuniversities don’t allow halls residents car permits unless you’ve got adisability requiring it. Most universities have good bus services between thecampus and nearest town centre.

Pets thesewill most likely be banned from halls as outlined in your tenancy agreement

Glad to see a compounded list, and the clear stickiness of your space bar is amusing :smile:
Reply 12
@Roving Fish
Hope you don't mind Roving Fish that I adapted you list as you could not see
It. If this List is wrong just let me know and I will change it.

Bedding items
Duvet
Sheets
Duvet covers
Pillows
Pillow cases
Mattress Protector

Bathroom items
Bath towel
Toilet roll

Bedroom items
Door wedge
Clothes washbasket/bin/bag
Extension leads. Getsurge protected ones to protect valuable equipment

Laundry & clothing items

Stationery
Backpack or similar
Stationery items
Noticeboard (most halls rooms will have one already)
A few folders
Refill pads
Pens and pencils
A memory stick
Tip: If you need any more then you can buy this as and when at uni
Laptop/tablet/PC (visit This article for more information)

Kitchen items (for non-catered accommodation)
Inhalls, generally a microwave, oven, kettle and toaster are supplied. This Should be made clear by the university or your accommodation provider - you should have an idea if you’ve viewed the accommodation. If you’re unsure then contact them via email or phone to ask what is provided.
A saucepan set
Oven tray
Tin opener
Bottle opener
Vegetable peeler
Cheese grater
Wooden spoons or spatulas
Masher
Microwavable bowl
Measuring jug
Pizza cutter
Colander
Chopping knives
Chopping board
Tea towels
Tupperware(plastic tubs for storing leftovers.) Write your name on the lids and the tubs to prevent them going missing
Sandwich bags(good for storing 'dry' leftovers)
Tableware
Glasses
Cutlery (knives,forks, spoons)
Tip - taking just one or two of everything will encourage you to wash them straight away but make sure you have enough to have people over for a takeaway dinner
Crockery(plates, bowls, mugs, cups)

Things you won't need
Previous textbooks and notes you’ll be reading new more academic texts which will beavailable or have been purchased.
‘Book Tokens’ –ask for an Amazon gift card instead so that you can buy any essential textbooks.
A car most universities don’t allow halls residents car permits unless you’ve got adisability requiring it. Most universities have good bus services between the campus and nearest town centre.
Pets these will most likely be banned from halls as outlined in your tenancy agreement

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
@Ryanx623 - Not my keyboard, just the way that it transferred from Word to the editor! :frown:

@gogirls - Not sure what you've done there? :hmmm:

I've attached the word document here so you can download it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Guys,

It would be worth checking what is already included in your room package. When our UK and international residents moved in last September they didn't realise how much was included in their free welcome package (bedding, full kitchen pack, designer kitchen appliances kettle and toaster, hot drink essentials, stationary and plenty more student essentials). Most will state on their website like we do: http://www.vitastudent.com/locations/bristol/

Not all accommodation providers will offer the same, but worth checking before you start spending your money on things you may not need in the end.

One essential is pictures of friends/ family/ pets etc. Always good to see a familiar face when you are starting out in your new adventure!

Good luck getting the grades everybody!

Thanks,

Sophie :smile:
Vita Student
(edited 8 years ago)

Please note that this is a very basic guide and has been agreed and looked over by a few people. If you wish to have a complete guide (IKEA catalogue size) then please go to the link in the first post of this thread. Cheers :smile:

I wouldn't say you need to take all these things. A lot of things can be bought whilst you are there. Unless you are taking a removal van with you, it'd be quite difficult to pack all that stuff into your mode of transport.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vita Student

One essential is pictures of friends/ family/ pets etc. Always good to see a familiar face when you are starting out in your new adventure!

I think that is a terrible suggestion.
Original post by callum_law
I wouldn't say you need to take all these thins. A lot of things can be bought whilst you are there. Unless you are taking a removal van with you, it'd be quite difficult to pack all that stuff into your mode of transport.

:no: Plenty of people I know have taken more than this and managed it in a car. That is, of course, if you're not taking everyone and the goldfish to 'help you settle in'. :wink:

I think you'll find that this list is substantially shorter than the one we have on the content system. :yep:
:no: Plenty of people I know have taken more than this and managed it in a car. That is, of course, if you're not taking everyone and the goldfish to 'help you settle in'. :wink:

I think you'll find that this list is substantially shorter than the one we have on the content system. :yep:

I know people who did take this and more. Including someone who bought stuff to fill the freezer, which was a considerate gesture before we'd even settled in to have a freezer already taken by someone who went way OTT. However, I think it's not entirely necessary to take a lot of that in the list; a lot of it can be bought whilst you're there. Most of my flatmates were international students so they couldn't take all of this stuff with them, so instead the day after we all moved in we went on a flat outing to Wilko to buy pans, plates, stationery, extension cables and the likes. We shared a lot of stuff as well, so that's something to consider. You don't want 7 people buying toasters and taking them to uni, for example, so I'd suggest waiting till you get there and seeing what you need as a group. I know a lot of people will read this thread in a panic thinking "so I have to take ALL that", no not all of it. I'd say bedding is an absolute must, however.

You must be congratulated for abridging the other list, though!
Original post by callum_law
SNIP

We've got a list for International Students coming at some point. We've got a load of articles to write and we're almost there. D:

At the moment we've got internal stuff going on for results season etc! All crept up really really really quickly. Hoping to get some stuff done when I'm at TSR next Monday/Tuesday. :smile:

Agree that food should be the last thing to bring - always a good decision as you don't know how much space you have (or not). :h:

& Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest