The Student Room Group

Article: Firm and insurance choices

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Is it possible for me to go through clearing even if I've met the requirements for my firm
Choice?
Original post by rkuni16
Is it possible for me to go through clearing even if I've met the requirements for my firm
Choice?

You can use adjustment in that circumstance or yes be put into clearing.
Reply 82
Original post by claireestelle
You can use adjustment in that circumstance or yes be put into clearing.

what steps do i take in order to do this?
Original post by rkuni16
what steps do i take in order to do this?

To use adjustment you have to both meet and exceed your firm offer conditions. A button will appear on track to enter adjustment.

If you don't exceed your firm offer then you would need to contact them on results day and ASK them to place you into clearing. This could take anything from 6 hours to 2 weeks to arrange. On results day you would not be a high priority. If you know now that you don't want to go to your firm choice then contact them now (or before July) to arrange to be put into clearing BEFORE results day so that on the day you can focus on finding a place.
Original post by PQ
Just to emphasise how rare it is to end up at your insurance:
In 2015....
381,000 applicants ended up at their firm
64,000 applicants found a place in Clearing
40,000 applicants ended up at their insurance

That's just 8% of applicants ending up with their insurance.

What if right now i feel like i really want to go to my insurance, is there a way to change it to my firm now?
Original post by ryan_v_gomez
What if right now i feel like i really want to go to my insurance, is there a way to change it to my firm now?

Yep

Call UCAS and explain you want to swap firm and insurance over.

Then call each uni to ask if they agree to the change.

Once both unis give UCAS the ok then it will swap over in track.

You have until mid July to get this sorted in this way (after that UCAS lock things down until results day). So you have time to make absolutely sure you're happy with the switch. Check the deadlines for accommodation at your new firm though - end May is quite common.
The thing is.. Liverpool is my insurance and I've taken a much better course .. It only requires an ABB. And Bristol is my firm choice which wants an A*AA. And I'm not sure if I should make the swap, cause Bristol has the name and all .. But Liverpool has a much better course.
Reply 87
Original post by ryan_v_gomez
The thing is.. Liverpool is my insurance and I've taken a much better course .. It only requires an ABB. And Bristol is my firm choice which wants an A*AA. And I'm not sure if I should make the swap, cause Bristol has the name and all .. But Liverpool has a much better course.

If you think Liverpool has the course you prefer, choose the course.

Edit: and you've said elsewhere the Bristol offer is A*AA but you think you'll realistically get ABB... Bristol might relax it's offer to you on results day but pragmatically I think them moving from A*AA to ABB is unlikely.

You can firm Liverpool, and then if you DO get A*AA potentially "upgrade" your uni via Adjustment.
(edited 7 years ago)
If I firm a university, and then achieve those grades, Is there no way I can pull out after I meet the conditions? What if i want to take a gap year? Or some personal problem arises?
Reply 89
Original post by Pokepal02
If I firm a university, and then achieve those grades, Is there no way I can pull out after I meet the conditions? What if i want to take a gap year? Or some personal problem arises?

You don't have to go anywhere.

If you really decide you want a gap year just withdraw from your university. But be careful you haven't already signed accommodation contracts or similar that commit you to a full year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You don't have to go anywhere.

If you really decide you want a gap year just withdraw from your university. But be careful you haven't already signed accommodation contracts or similar that commit you to a full year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. How exactly do i withdraw my application in august though?
Thank you for your reply. How exactly do i withdraw my application in august though?

You phone UCAS.

Be aware that in August 'withdraw' would mean cancellation of your entire application. If you just want a gap year - and still want to go to that Uni - then you should ask the Uni if you can defer your offer to 2017 entry.
Original post by opalescent_
So what happens on the day- say for example I have been predicted 3 As and then I apply for the uni that has asked for 3 As but then I get AAB- do I call them up and beg them to still take me- is there any opportunity to explain that I took German and it's been especially difficult because I had to retake the AS alongside etc? Is there an any chance because I love my first choice but I don't know whether it's too risky- because I am doubtful I will get AAA- I think AAB is more likely. Thanks for any answers! :smile:
Don't assume you won't meet your offer. Your firm might decide to take you anyway, even if you did, so if this is the university you really want to go to pick them as your firm.

To be honest, I wouldn't have thought that telling the uni that your German grade was affected by having to resit the AS would help you - their view might be that you shouldn't have had to resit it in the first place :frown:

You can withdraw on Track.
Original post by returnmigrant
You phone UCAS.

Be aware that in August 'withdraw' would mean cancellation of your entire application. If you just want a gap year - and still want to go to that Uni - then you should ask the Uni if you can defer your offer to 2017 entry.

Thank you. The university i'm talking about is imperial college london. Let us say I ask them to defer entry, while I take a year in industry. That means for fall 2017, my offer is confirmed assuming I already met my conditions for fall 2016. Hence is it binding that I have to go to imperial in fall 2017? Or can I apply to oxbridge, and then go to oxbridge if i get in in fall 2017 and disregard imperials deferred unconditional?
Reply 95
Thank you. The university i'm talking about is imperial college london. Let us say I ask them to defer entry, while I take a year in industry. That means for fall 2017, my offer is confirmed assuming I already met my conditions for fall 2016. Hence is it binding that I have to go to imperial in fall 2017? Or can I apply to oxbridge, and then go to oxbridge if i get in in fall 2017 and disregard imperials deferred unconditional?

If you plan on deferring then speak to Imperial NOW not on Results Day.

IF they allow you to defer nothing is binding on you. You don't have to take the place up next year if you don't want to.

BUT you can't apply to other universities (including Oxbridge) while still holding a place (deferred or otherwise) at another university. If you plan to apply to Oxbridge for 2017 you will have to withdraw from Imperial (although you can of course also re-apply to them for 2017).
Hi guys. My deadline for replying to my offers is 8th June (tomorrow). I wanted to visit the uni one more time as I was sooooo torn, but the only date that could be arranged was tomorrow.

It says "BY the 8th June", so does that mean when I go to firm my choice at about midday tomorrow it will still count? Or do they expire tonight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
hey,
I am a little peeved. I had to make my decision and pick a firm/insurance choice by June 8. I picked my firm but did not conclude on my insurance as I was waiting to receive an offer from another Uni ( all choices were in by 5th May, with the pending one being a default rejection). The said university had earlier written to me stating that I should not worry about the default rejection as my application was still being considered. They still had not communicated their decision to me by June 8 when I was expected to finalize my choices. I went ahead to firm one offer and left out the insurance option hoping I'd get an offer soon enough...To my chagrin the university has written to me stating that it will discontinue my application as I have already firmed another university. I was hoping to put the university down as my insurance ....is there anything I can do about this????
Original post by mwape
hey,
I am a little peeved. I had to make my decision and pick a firm/insurance choice by June 8. I picked my firm but did not conclude on my insurance as I was waiting to receive an offer from another Uni ( all choices were in by 5th May, with the pending one being a default rejection). The said university had earlier written to me stating that I should not worry about the default rejection as my application was still being considered. They still had not communicated their decision to me by June 8 when I was expected to finalize my choices. I went ahead to firm one offer and left out the insurance option hoping I'd get an offer soon enough...To my chagrin the university has written to me stating that it will discontinue my application as I have already firmed another university. I was hoping to put the university down as my insurance ....is there anything I can do about this????

No, not really. The decision is made, and they clearly dont want you. However it does seem a very odd way for a Uni to behave - why didnt they make you an offer before the deadline and the 'Firmed another Uni' comment seems very odd. I suggest you write a very calm, non-angry, letter to the Head of Admissions at that Uni (with copies of all emails/letters etc) and ask for an explanation.
Reply 99
Thank you. I too found it quite odd & really unprofessional on their part. I am so glad I got an offer from my preferred university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending