The Student Room Group

Article: Firm and insurance choices

Scroll to see replies

Do not panic - the earliest deadline for 2016 Firm/Insurance decisions is 4 May 2016.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/key-dates
Hello I have a question

say you've got all 5 offers on UCAS TRACK
and you make your firm choice and insurance choice
can you still then choose to go to your insurance choice even though you've met the conditions of your firm choice on results day, or this completely impossible?

sorry if this sounds confuzzled 😊
Original post by A2LEVELSHELPME
Hello I have a question

say you've got all 5 offers on UCAS TRACK
and you make your firm choice and insurance choice
can you still then choose to go to your insurance choice even though you've met the conditions of your firm choice on results day, or this completely impossible?

sorry if this sounds confuzzled 😊

No you can't.

You only end up at your insurance if you miss your firn offer AND you firm reject you (and rejecting applicants who miss by one grade is rare, accepting applicants who miss by 2 or more grades is very common)

If you want to go to a university you must pick it as firm.
Just a comment on PQs usual good advice - up to about 10 years ago you could decline your Firm on Results Day and still go to your Insurance. This was stopped by UCAS as it meant Unis couldn't accurately predict numbers based on CFs. Many parents and teachers still remember this era and consequently often give the wrong advice to current applicants.

Let's be clear about this - if you are accepted by your Firm on your Results Day (even if you get grades below the offer but they still accept you) and you see UF on Track, then your Insurance has disappeared and you cannot get it back. So, as PQ says - chose your Firm & Insurance very carefully!
Just to emphasise how rare it is to end up at your insurance:
In 2015....
381,000 applicants ended up at their firm
64,000 applicants found a place in Clearing
40,000 applicants ended up at their insurance

That's just 8% of applicants ending up with their insurance.
Original post by PQ
In 2015....

Golly, I didn't realise that. That's really interesting.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
In 2015....

This is when you want TSR to have a Bookmark This Post button.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
This is when you want TSR to have a Bookmark This Post button.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a lot of them bookmarked in a folder in the normal way. About 80% of them are by PQ.
Reply 9
I just my firm as my local uni and dont know whether or not Ive made a good decision...
can I decline my firm on results day if I get better grades than they need and want to take a gap year?
Original post by iramraja
can I decline my firm on results day if I get better grades than they need and want to take a gap year?

Yes you can but look into adjustment first if you have somewhere in mind.
Original post by iramraja

Yes.

Withdraw your entire application at UCAS as soon as you make this decision on Results Day - its quicker/better than just declining your Firm, as you then have to wait for your Insurance to Firm you and then decline that, which just wastes everybody's time.

Just remember that for any Uni or course with interviews or has compulsory offer days you will need to be available - 'I'm in Australia on a Gap Year' is no excuse and will just get you rejected - so plan any travel within a Gap Year for after April.

PS. No Uni will be interested in talking about a 2017 place in Adjustment - they want to fill THIS year and will tell you to make a totally fresh application for 2017 entry.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Yes.

Withdraw your entire application at UCAS as soon as you make this decision on Results Day - its quicker/better than just declining your Firm, as you then have to wait for your Insurance to Firm you and then decline that, which just wastes everybody's time.

Just remember that for any Uni or course with interviews or has compulsory offer days you will need to be available - 'I'm in Australia on a Gap Year' is no excuse and will just get you rejected - so plan any travel within a Gap Year for after April.

PS. No Uni will be interested in talking about a 2017 place in Adjustment - they want to fill THIS year and will tell you to make a totally fresh application for 2017 entry.

Thank you 😊
Reply 14
I have question !!

I have 5 conditional offers from universities.
BUT I want to go to completely another university which is not in my chosen universities.
Then can I go to UCAS extra or Clearing even if I decide firm and insurance choice??

because declining all 5 universities and go to clearing or UCAS extra is too risky.
Original post by qwer12
I have question !!

I have 5 conditional offers from universities.
BUT I want to go to completely another university which is not in my chosen universities.
Then can I go to UCAS extra or Clearing even if I decide firm and insurance choice??

because declining all 5 universities and go to clearing or UCAS extra is too risky.

No you can't, you have to reject the offers or be released into clearing to do so. If you think you might get better grades than expected then adjustment is relatively risk free.
Reply 16
Original post by claireestelle
No you can't, you have to reject the offers or be released into clearing to do so. If you think you might get better grades than expected then adjustment is relatively risk free.

Okay. Then if I get better grades than expected then I can apply another university which I haven't apply??
Original post by qwer12
Okay. Then if I get better grades than expected then I can apply another university which I haven't apply??

If they have places in adjustment yes you can.
Original post by qwer12

If you meet and exceed the conditions of your firm offer you are eligible for adjustment. This lasts 5 days so not a lot of time to make a good decision (given that you've already made a mistake you need to be careful not to rush into another) and often you will have to arrange private accommodation too.

Planning on this makes for a very stressful August.
So what happens on the day- say for example I have been predicted 3 As and then I apply for the uni that has asked for 3 As but then I get AAB- do I call them up and beg them to still take me- is there any opportunity to explain that I took German and it's been especially difficult because I had to retake the AS alongside etc? Is there an any chance because I love my first choice but I don't know whether it's too risky- because I am doubtful I will get AAA- I think AAB is more likely. Thanks for any answers! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending