The Student Room Group

What are the admission procedures??

Right...So here is the situation. I'm a final year student (hence soon-to-be-graduate) in Economics and Politics at the University of Dundee. I've applied to study for another undergraduate degree in Law for 2007/08 at the following universities: Bristol, Edinburgh, KCL, LSE, SOAS and UCL.

So far, I've had an offer from Edinburgh (yehey!) and received an e-mail from LSE asking me for an academic transcript of my current degree as well as any other "completed" university course to date. Now, would you expect a summer course taken at LSE to be considered as such? and do you think the fact that I've had resits in the past compromise my chances of getting an offer (from LSE at least)?

The point is, I've had an overall of 2.1 each year, despite having had resits. I had extenuating circumstances last year (which will be mentioned in the accompanying cover letter) but missed (yes, MISSED!) two exams the years before, which means that I've had three resits overall. I eventually got good results in each one of the subjects in questions, but these were resat nevertheless. I believe to have a solid PS (well, I hope so at least) and I have got extensive experience in the legal field (internship at the UN, LSE summer course - for which I got a good result!, Pro-Bono work, placement in solicitors' firm, voluntary work...), I also speak a few languages and got a good reference, but I am now afraid that the admission officers will divert all their attention to these results. I'm applying as a mature student (I will be 23 by the time I start the course) so I don't really know what the policy is for us... Are they more lenient? Less so?

I HAD expected LSE to ask me for a transcript, in all fairness, but do you think the other non-LNAT universities (i.e. SOAS - seeing as Edinburgh is the only other non-LNAT university, and has already gotten back to me) will also ask me for a transcript? Is that standard? Or do you think there is a chance they might rely solely on the application if they were to offer me a conditional? I fear that these universities might want the whole package: good grades (which I do have really, but with resits!) + good PS + good reference + work experience. Snif snif :frown:

All TSR readers out there - tell me what you think!!
Reply 1
You see we cannot say exactly what universities will decide as that depends on them. You have a good record, but bear in mind the universities you have applied to are the top in the country. LSE, for one, doesn't view resits well. But that might be different in your case. Just wait and see I guess.

Latest

Trending

Trending