The Student Room Group

MEng or wait for MSc?

I am just searching jobs in UK sites and they ask for bachelor degrees for most jobs that require no work experience (less than 1yr). And those which ask for Master deg, i don't think that MEng is a real Master and they may reject that

So i am just thinking should i save some money by not taking an extra year of MEng and work and earn money until I am capable of making $ myself (that means no more sources of income from parents) and study MSc?

Or is MEng really something that will be as useful as MSc and by doing the cheaper MEng is really a good adv.?
Reply 1
MEng is just as reputable as MSci. To not think MEng is a real masters is ridiculous.

Now if you told us what subject you want to study MEng/MSci in this would be more helpful for us to advise you.
Reply 2
I am talking about MSc, not MSci
Reply 3
etomac
I am just searching jobs in UK sites and they ask for bachelor degrees for most jobs that require no work experience (less than 1yr). And those which ask for Master deg, i don't think that MEng is a real Master and they may reject that

So i am just thinking should i save some money by not taking an extra year of MEng and work and earn money until I am capable of making $ myself (that means no more sources of income from parents) and study MSc?

Or is MEng really something that will be as useful as MSc and by doing the cheaper MEng is really a good adv.?

Do you want to be an engineer?
Reply 4
I am thinking of doing Joint hons (Math and Comp.Sci)
There are choices between BSc or MEng

Engineer? Yes (possibly)
Reply 5
etomac

Ahhh my course, I'm hopefully going to be doing the MSc variant after I have achieved my undergrad. :smile:
Reply 6
I see that most uni is asking for AAB
How can I pick out safe choices then?
Reply 7
etomac
I see that most uni is asking for AAB
How can I pick out safe choices then?

If I were in your position (and I was last year) then based on requirement / difficulty to get into for both Comp Sci and Maths I would pick:

Two From - IC, Warwick, York, Edinburgh, Bath, UCL, Bristol, Oxbridge (not both obviously) etc...

Two From - Nottingham, Manchester, Southampton, Cardiff, Durham, KCL etc...

Two From - Lancaster, Sussex, Kent, UEA, Brum etc...
Reply 8
etomac
There are choices between BSc or MEng

Engineer? Yes (possibly)

If you want to be an engineer, BEng/MEng is the way to go. However it's a highly respected degree and will get you far in law, buisness etc.

Did you know 16 % of FTSE 100 Directors did an engineering degree...
Reply 9
Ollie

Did you know 16 % of FTSE 100 Directors did an engineering degree...

I'm actually quite thankful I have 4 years to decide now, Im sure that Ollie will convinc me to do the MEng before that point... :biggrin:
Reply 10
btw why are chemical engineering requirements so low?
Reply 11
etomac
btw why are chemical engineering requirements so low?

I'd guess at a lack of interest / demand on the part of applicants. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending