The Student Room Group

What are you doing for IB?

Hey guys! Only 3 weeks left till our GCSEs!!:eek: (for me anyway) I saw a thread for what A Levels people are taking I thought I might as well make one for everyone doing IB. I'll start:
Chemistry HL
Philosophy HL
Economics HL

Spanish SL
Maths SL
English SL

How are you feeling for it? Personally I can't wait for Philosophy and Economics but English is going to bore me to death :s-smilie:

Anyone else??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Déscartés
Hey guys! Only 3 weeks left till our GCSEs!!:eek: (for me anyway) I saw a thread for what A Levels people are taking I thought I might as well make one for everyone doing IB. I'll start:
Chemistry HL
Philosophy HL
Economics HL

Spanish SL
Maths SL
English SL

How are you feeling for it? Personally I can't wait for Philosophy and Economics but English is going to bore me to death :s-smilie:

Anyone else??

Hey :h: I'm just going to move this to the IB forum as you should get more responses there :smile:

Good luck with youre revision! :eek3: :bl:

:headbang:
Chemistry HL
Philosophy HL
Economics HL

Spanish SL
Maths SL
English SL

Anyone else??

Hi!

I'm going to be starting IB this fall too. I'm taking these subjects:

Math HL
English Lit HL
Economics HL

Physics SL
Mandarin B SL
History SL

I'm super pumped about all my subjects tbh! :smile:

:O You must be awesome at chem to take it at HL.
Original post by thirdcultureteen
Hi!

I'm going to be starting IB this fall too. I'm taking these subjects:

Math HL
English Lit HL
Economics HL

Physics SL
Mandarin B SL
History SL

I'm super pumped about all my subjects tbh! :smile:

:O You must be awesome at chem to take it at HL.

Same goes for you with Maths HL :tongue:
My friend's brother is doing it and he's spending 6 hours+ on just maths.

I just can't do English HL and I'm even dreading SL. Too many books.

Posted from TSR Mobile
From a current IB2 student - English SL honestly isn't that bad, but you just have to work hard! Try to do your best on coursework, because the exams could go either way. Don't take the IOP and IOC lightly, and just because it's SL doesn't mean you can 'slack off' (which is a common misconception in my school). Economics HL is really interesting - probably my favourite HL out of the ones I take.
Original post by apoorvahk
From a current IB2 student - English SL honestly isn't that bad, but you just have to work hard! Try to do your best on coursework, because the exams could go either way. Don't take the IOP and IOC lightly, and just because it's SL doesn't mean you can 'slack off' (which is a common misconception in my school). Economics HL is really interesting - probably my favourite HL out of the ones I take.

Of course I'm not going to slack off and try my best it's just a matter of boredom.

From what I've seen most people who take Higher Econ find it their best subject and I really cannot wait to start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same goes for you with Maths HL :tongue:
My friend's brother is doing it and he's spending 6 hours+ on just maths.

I just can't do English HL and I'm even dreading SL. Too many books.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I just really love maths :P

But books are amazing though!
Haha I just really love maths :P

But books are amazing though!

Books can be amazing, analysing them never is though. :no:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course I'm not going to slack off and try my best it's just a matter of boredom.

From what I've seen most people who take Higher Econ find it their best subject and I really cannot wait to start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just clearing something up - wasn't implying that anyone would slack off, it's just something I've observed. Didn't mean to offend :tongue:

As for Econ HL - the IA's are honestly the most 'fun' IAs you'll do out of all your subjects!
Original post by apoorvahk
Just clearing something up - wasn't implying that anyone would slack off, it's just something I've observed. Didn't mean to offend :tongue:

As for Econ HL - the IA's are honestly the most 'fun' IAs you'll do out of all your subjects!

Don't worry you didn't :smile:

And I have no idea what an IA is :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I'm currently just finishing off my first year of IB, and just to follow up on what apoorvahk said, you'll be fine for English SL, it's honestly not too bad and all my friends who don't like English that much, are doing fine!

An IA (Internal Assessment) is basically the coursework you have to do for a particular subject. You'll have to do an IA in most of your subjects (not entirely sure which ones don't do them other than Art). Good luck on your GCSEs!
Don't worry you didn't :smile:

And I have no idea what an IA is :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Internal Assessment...haha, maybe ignorance is bliss (until you have to face IB). Good luck with your GCSE's, and IB though!
Books can be amazing, analysing them never is though. :no:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Analysing them can be. Just depends on what you're interested in :smile:

Where will you be studying the IB?
Analysing them can be. Just depends on what you're interested in :smile:

Where will you be studying the IB?

Maybe s]rolleyes
6th form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe s]rolleyes

6th form

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I meant school
Lol I meant school

:facepalm: excuse my stupidity. I'm doing it at Dartford Grammar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to do:

Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Philosophy HL (although I'm thinking Economics now)

Maths SL
English SL
French SL

Am super excited for Chemistry and Maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile
:facepalm: excuse my stupidity. I'm doing it at Dartford Grammar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no worries. Oh cool! I'll also be studying in Kent.
Trust me, it's not like GCSE. If you like philosophy, you will like English, (depending on how philosophical your English teacher is). The IB encourages starting out collecting evidence at a very analytical level (think Chemistry), then pulling back, and relating it to the big picture (I've 'referenced' several philosophical theories in doing this step).

Philosophy and English go great together.

You'll also find Chemistry becomes useful in certain topics in Philosophy, so long as you have a broad knowledge of the subject. Electrons are a lot weirder than you think, (as you'll find out soon).

All-in-all... Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy all those subjects. (Economics HL though? Yuck, but that's just me.)
Original post by ranti100

Philosophy HL (although I'm thinking Economics now)

If you replace philosophy with economics, you'll regret it, 100%. I keep hearing how boring economics is from my friends, so unless you have a deep passion, stay away.

All the philosophy students, on the other hand (all 2 of us), are always chatting about the massively interesting theories that we've learned about.

Also, you'll find philosophy will help you massively to understand the finer points of English lit. Back then, if you were writing books, you had read philosophers. No exception. So, you should see some familiar philosophies apply to your texts.

Also, it'll make TOK look like child's play.

Make the right choice today: Sign up for IB Philosophy.

Available in local schools now.

Quick Reply

Latest