Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The RIBA part 1,2,3 stuff

Announcements Posted on
Take our survey to be in with the chance of winning a £50 Amazon voucher or one of 5 x £10 Amazon vouchers 28-05-2016
  1. Offline

    Just to warn you, This may be a dumb question.

    But basicly, i am hoping to do architecture and environmental design at Sheffield Hallam. This course is validated for part 1, but not for the other parts.Firstly, can i complete the other parts at other unis, and secondly, does my original uni choice/course affect if other unis accept me as a part 2 applicant?

    thanks for any advice.
  2. Offline

    It exempts you from RIBA 1, however you still have to do 2 and 3 through conventional methods, such as direct through RIBA I believe. This is the one thing that put me off doing Architecture
  3. Offline

    hmm, so does that mean i can't go on to complete part 2 at any other random university?
  4. Offline

    (Original post by mez888888)
    hmm, so does that mean i can't go on to complete part 2 at any other random university?
    Oh I do apolgise, if it is a five year course then you bypass RIBA 1 and 2, if it is just three years then it is RIBA 1 only.


    This is followed by the RIBA Part 3 Examination in Professional Practice and Management.
  5. Offline

    in answer to your question, if you do you Part I at Hallam, you can of course apply to any other university that offers a RIBA validated Part II course. Obviously the downside of this is that you need to apply to these universities, so there is a natural advantage in applications from students who have done Part I courses at those universities (in the sense that you know the system, know the tutors, know they style of work having already done the part I there). I'm not sure how much this matters, but you need to consider it. Some students at universities offering Part I and Part II choose to do their part II at a different university anyway, for a change of scene, style, whatever.

    Part III is always done whilst you are working, though you do have elements which are more academic. What I'm trying to say is that you can't do Part III in academia - you need to be working to get it (which is also true for 1/2 of part II).

    hope that helps.


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 16, 2006
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR

Don't be a half-term hermit

How to revise this week and still have a life

What's your biggest deadly sin?
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.