The Student Room Group

Year 11 Medical Work Experience Placements

Hi guys sorry if this is in the wrong thread...there was a really long list of threads.

I'm 16 years old approaching the end of my 11th year and i really really really wanted to do medicine at oxford. One of the things that look good on PS is a variety of work experience. So for a 16 year old is it hard to get work experience, I already have a place at my local GP. What kind of work experience would you recommend and how would I go about it? I would like to fit in as much and as wide a variety of work experience/ shadowing/ volunteering as possible.

Thanks in advance!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by hasibahmad01
Hi guys sorry if this is in the wrong thread...there was a really long list of threads.

I'm 16 years old approaching the end of my 11th year and i really really really wanted to do medicine at oxford. One of the things that look good on PS is a variety of work experience. So for a 16 year old is it hard to get work experience, I already have a place at my local GP. What kind of work experience would you recommend and how would I go about it? I would like to fit in as much and as wide a variety of work experience/ shadowing/ volunteering as possible.

Thanks in advance!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Just to emphasise, what's really important is how you reflect on what you have done.

If you have some GP work experience lined up already, I'd also recommend getting some hospital experience. Perhaps try to organise one week in one department, and one week in another department? You could try emailing consultants at a local hospital to ask if you could do some work shadowing in their department for a few days.

Also, it looks good to have some longterm volunteering in a caring environment, to show you've really interacted with other people, and aren't just interested in a non-realistic glamorous image of medicine. I'd suggest contacting some care homes near you, and asking if you'd be able to do some volunteering there. You could explain that you're interested in medicine, and want to get some experience of a caring environment.

So for example, if you have say one week of GP, one or two weeks of hospital medicine, and several months of care home volunteering, I think that gives you plenty to reflect on/talk about, and shows that you've taken the time and effort to get a realistic insight into medicine.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Just to emphasise, what's really important is how you reflect on what you have done.

If you have some GP work experience lined up already, I'd also recommend getting some hospital experience. Perhaps try to organise one week in one department, and one week in another department? You could try emailing consultants at a local hospital to ask if you could do some work shadowing in their department for a few days.

Also, it looks good to have some longterm volunteering in a caring environment, to show you've really interacted with other people, and aren't just interested in a non-realistic glamorous image of medicine. I'd suggest contacting some care homes near you, and asking if you'd be able to do some volunteering there. You could explain that you're interested in medicine, and want to get some experience of a caring environment.

So for example, if you have say one week of GP, one or two weeks of hospital medicine, and several months of care home volunteering, I think that gives you plenty to reflect on/talk about, and shows that you've taken the time and effort to get a realistic insight into medicine.

Thank you very much for your quick reply, luckily there is a very close-by care home which is useful and I could apply at the local hospital...thank you so much, u r a huge help!!!:smile::biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Hi,

I'm 16 and also interested in medicine but don't know where to begin looking for placements at a hospital...any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending